Hardware Can the Wii play DVD's?

fearman911

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey i was looking about buying a Wii, but im thinking about a xbox 360 too. I was just wondering if the Wii could play DVD's as in videos... and can it support xvid and other things natively... or can it be done through a modchip? It's really my selling point right now xD

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No.

It was designed as a games machine only, not as a multimedia device.

You can dick around with various things to get media to play on it, but you are limited to either what you can fit on an SD card, or stream from your PC.

vertabray

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Sorta but I wouldn't bother, buy a cheap dvd player

MFE Disc Creator 1.1
From the Release notes:

Here is an updated version of the MFE bootable disc creator. It uses the new DVD-capable MFE version that Symbiote.org released. The advantage of using this creator is that it uses a firmware 3.0 compatible disc header and it allows you to fill the disc with .divx, .mp3, .mpg etc.

I didn’t compile the bootloader for this one like I did with last one and I didn’t create MFE in the first place. I’ve just made the disc creation a bit more userfriendly. All credits goes the original authors whoever they may be.

Also keep in mind that there have been speculations about that using your Wii to watch DVD movies may wear out your laser.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
just get the 360

You can play games, with much better quality titles...gta4 in 2 weeks! You can play pretty much any title online which has a gr8 community, you've got xbox live arcade which is quality, achievement points which makes the games more intresting once youve completed them. Also you can play dvd movies and you can stream them from you're desktop.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
jaxxster said:
just get the 360

You can play games, with much better quality titles...gta4 in 2 weeks! You can play pretty much any title online which has a gr8 community, you've got xbox live arcade which is quality, achievement points which makes the games more intresting once youve completed them. Also you can play dvd movies and you can stream them from you're desktop.
You are joking right?
At the moment it would be a terrible dessision to get a 360, It costs way to much(If you calculate the optional required HDDVD player)
If you don't want a Wii get PS3, but 360 is just a waste of money

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
what? How do they cost too much? They're the same price as the wii or there abouts. You can get one with a free game for £199.99. Plus why would you buy the hd dvd addon? It'd be pointless.

I'm not gunna argue but saying a 360 cost too much then saying its a waste of money get the ps3 is silly. The 360 currently is a much better console to get and the price tag attached justifies getting one.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hit said:
jaxxster said:
just get the 360

You are joking right?
At the moment it would be a terrible dessision to get a 360, It costs way to much(If you calculate the optional required HDDVD player)

it is not required, the HD DVD format has died.

The 360 isn't a waste of money. Only £200 for the the pro. The 360 has a better choice of games and a better online.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
metroid_phobia said:
Hit said:
jaxxster said:
just get the 360

You are joking right?

The 360 isn't a waste of money. Only £200 for the the pro. The 360 has a better choice of games and a better online.
The 360 is badder then a normal PC, I can play better games on my Computer then what I have seen for the 360

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hit said:
metroid_phobia said:
Hit said:
jaxxster said:
just get the 360

You are joking right?

The 360 is badder then a normal PC, I can play better games on my Computer then what I have seen for the 360

No one introduced the PC in the birth life of the topic, don't introduce it now.

We are talking about the wii, ps3 and 360.

In fact, lets just get back on to the topic.

No: the wii can't play dvd's. End off

Lock?

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Hit said:
metroid_phobia said:
Hit said:
jaxxster said:
just get the 360

You are joking right?

Ok...wow, thanks for that input there....well if the original poster can find a pc that plays games better than a 360 does for £200 then i guess thats his answer...but seeing as thats gunna be impossible thanks for the worthless input.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ugh, so much fanboy bullshitting in one thread, it'll take a while to top that
wacko.gif

(the "optional required HDDVD player" part cracked me up
rofl.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :sad:,:rofl2:, and:hrth::toot::hrth: at the same time. @SylverReZ
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ i did know that actually
    +2
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    LTT also did it
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    jdhello
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: the Sonys and stuff I don't care about