Anthony D'Amico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey all

I’ve been reading the FAQ for SX OS and I can’t seem to find anything about whether it can be uninstalled.

My end goal is to move to atmosphere when it’s released however I think SX is a great middle ground for the time being.

I’m on 3.01 at the moment so from what I understand, I should beable to upgrade to 4.1 and use SX OS and if I stay there I should beable to get atmosphere when it releases.
Is my understanding correct?

D

Deleted-442439

You don't install SX OS, you need to run the dongle every time you want to use it after a reboot. afaik SX OS will not support emunand at launch, so do not update the OFW on NAND. When Atmosphere is released you can update the emunand.

If you are on 3.0.1 do not update to 4.x if you ever want a chance of getting persistent coldboot.

Last edited by ,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing is really installed. At most the only install you do is autoRCM. The actual SX OS is run from RCM via the dongle, so switching to atmosphere would be as easy as changing the payload on the dongle.

Reactions: OrGoN3

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing is really installed. At most the only install you do is autoRCM. The actual SX OS is run from RCM via the dongle, so switching to atmosphere would be as easy as changing the payload on the dongle.
Wrong
It will be installed on the switch. You only need the dongle once

D

Deleted-442439

Wrong

No it will not.

You have to use it on every boot, or you use autorcm to skip using the jig.

It uses Fusee Gelee, nothing is persistent.

Q: How does the tool (jig) and dongle operate? Are they needed everytime you turn on the console?
A: If you don't want to make any (software) modifications to your Switch Console, both the Tool (jig) and dongle are needed every boot.
SX OS has an optional "AutoRCM" feature that can be installed to your Switch Console such that the jig tool is not needed anymore on boot.

Q: How does the AutoRCM feature work?
A: The AutoRCM feature makes a tiny modification to your system's on-board storage via software, and from there on you will ONLY need the dongle (and won't have to press the volume key) when booting your console.
Please note: With the AutoRCM feature installed, your Switch will only boot up with the SX Pro Dongle inserted or by any other USB-C launching method currently available. Once booted, you can always uninstall AutoRCM through SX OS.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong
That's completely incorrect.
Even in their own documentation it says you need the dongle every time.
The only thing you won't need every time is the jig (or as they can it the tool), which with AutoRCM installed won't be needed.
You'll still need the dongle for every reboot.
You should probably actually look into things before spending money on them.

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's completely incorrect.
Even in their own documentation it says you need the dongle every time.
The only thing you won't need every time is the jig (or as they can it the tool), which with AutoRCM installed won't be needed.
You'll still need the dongle for every reboot.
You should probably actually look into things before spending money on them.

Screenshot_20180527-195422.png

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usb dongle, tool
The comma separates them because they are two different items.
The dongle is obvious, the tool is a jig used to boot into RCM.
The jig (aka tool) is only needed once to install AutoRCM, after which you don't need the tool (jig) but will still need the dongle. This is even explicitly stated in their Q&A someone quoted above.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: OrGoN3
D

Deleted-442439

You are misreading it. There is no way to make Fusee Gelee persistent, it works by injecting a payload through sending a specific request with custom parameters to the bootloader in RCM that will "smash the stack" enabling the takeover of the boot chain.

By its nature it needs to be repeated on every boot, as the bootloader verifies everything, and the bootloader itself is read only (ROM= Read only memory) so there is no way for TX to achieve what you are claiming with the current setup.

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
Yes. Under options, everything can be removed. -- Even the AutoRCM if you wish. -- The first FAQ makes mention of the uninstalling of AutoRCM:

Q: How does the AutoRCM feature work?
A:
The AutoRCM feature makes a tiny modification to your system's on-board storage via software, and from there on you will ONLY need the dongle (and won't have to press the volume key) when booting your console.
Please note: With the AutoRCM feature installed, your Switch will only boot up with the SX Pro Dongle inserted or by any other USB-C launching method currently available. Once booted, you can always uninstall AutoRCM through SX OS.

The second FAQ makes mention of space used on MicroSD:

Q: How much space is used up on microSD for SX OS?
A:
Only 16MB. To clarify, our OS will not alter in any way your microSD game & homebrew capacity.

So 'uninstall' AutoRCM, remove those extra '16mb' of files added to your MicroSD. -- Never use the Jig or dongle again, and your system is basically clean, back to normal OS, without really any changes. -- Of course on your Nintendo there might be records of your 'games' that you ran, so to be safe if you wish to go back online and not get banned, if you been staying offline all this time, this use the normal recovery Nintendo menu, to reset your Switch, of course that will remove 'save files' also, but then you 100% sure everything is gone, but that last step, is total last total wipe, the first two steps, wiping microsd, and uninstalling the autorcm is enough to remove all traces of SX OS usage.

D

Deleted-442439

Yes. Under options, everything can be removed. -- Even the AutoRCM if you wish. -- The first FAQ makes mention of the uninstalling of AutoRCM:

The second FAQ makes mention of space used on MicroSD:

So 'uninstall' AutoRCM, remove those extra '16mb' of files added to your MicroSD. -- Never use the Jig or dongle again, and your system is basically clean, back to normal OS, without really any changes. -- Of course on your Nintendo there might be records of your 'games' that you ran, so to be safe if you wish to go back online and not get banned, if you been staying offline all this time, this use the normal recovery Nintendo menu, to reset your Switch, of course that will remove 'save files' also, but then you 100% sure everything is gone, but that last step, is total last total wipe, the first two steps, wiping microsd, and uninstalling the autorcm is enough to remove all traces of SX OS usage.

AutoRCM makes a microscopic change to the BCT, it does not take up 16mb. The16mb are sd files generated on first boot by SX OS, they are not "Installed".

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
AutoRCM makes a microscopic change to the BCT, it does not take up 16mb. The16mb are sd files generated on first boot by SX OS, they are not "Installed".
I know that but the original poster was asking how to 'uninstall' everything, in my post i hope i was clear, saying that is only other thing to remove after running the uninstall option for autorcm. -- some people don't change or own more than one microsd, so to remove all traces of using SX OS, then it would be recommended to remove those files, or reformat, or wipe the microsd cart, to totally complete the uninstall option. -- As currently, I don't think the TX payload does that on uninstall, but I could be mistaked, they always improving things by the hour, so might include that option also to delete the 16mb of files.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think before people keep arguing we need to agree what is meant by install. As far as I can tell the os is installed but not to permanent memory.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think before people keep arguing we need to agree what is meant by install. As far as I can tell the os is installed but not to permanent memory.
No its common knowledge that the OS is never installed. Its stuck on the dongle. The only install they are talking about is AutoRCM, which can be uninstalled. Basically, TX have found a way for you to load hacks without anything else except the dongle.

D

Deleted-442439

No its common knowledge that the OS is never installed. Its stuck on the dongle. The only install they are talking about is AutoRCM, which can be uninstalled. Basically, TX have found a way for you to load hacks without anything else except the dongle.

They have not really found anything, they just corrupted the BCT :P

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why their dongle and device is pretty cool small enough to fit a carrying bag...

However I will first wait 4 atmosphere and use my phone as dongle if it works, else I would buy the TX dongle.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Huh, you’re saying the dongle needs to stay plugged in?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, you’re saying the dongle needs to stay plugged in?
I'm saying you need the dongle to load the OS. After you load the OS, you can take it out. They have some sort of payload.bin on their USB that's set to automatically deliver it to the Switch once its in RCM. Similar to how all of the other payload.bins function, once it has been sent via USB, your Switch is good to go. However, they need to still be plugged in via USB because that is the only current exploit we have that not only works on all firmwares, but gives us the highest level of access to the console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs