Homebrew Can somebody please link me to which DVD movies work/don't?

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have EVERYTHING installed but the DVD movies still will not load. I am assuming that I am playing the wrong type of DVD;s. I have not burned any DVD nor plan to. I want to play original DVD's such as Rush Hour 3. Mplayer CE says "mounting DVD" then stops and freezes on main screen after loading. Can someone please explain this to me? I have IOS 202 installed and Mplayer CE installer.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Maybe you should use WiiMC instead of MPlayer-CE, you know? Just because it's well known that the compatibility is better (but still not perfect) there?

If you want a 100% working DVD-Player, buy one for around, I dunno, we can get one here for 20$. Dang, Problem solved, and the lifespan of the Wiis Drive saved.

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have wiimc and it reads "invalid dvd" whenever I try and play any dvd. So sort of the same problem. I have bajillions of dvd movies. How do I get this to work???????? They are virgin dvd's.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
smashdude said:
I have wiimc and it reads "invalid dvd" whenever I try and play any dvd. So sort of the same problem. I have bajillions of dvd movies. How do I get this to work???????? They are virgin dvd's.
I had this same problem with 'shop brought' DVD's - even though I had ios202 installed by NUS Auto Downloader, but it got fixed when I RE-install the ios202 from the WiiMC download page

Have you tried that yet ??

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which one of the two links that you gave me should I download and put in my apps folder? Then I will try it out and see if I get the same problem.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
smashdude said:
Which one of the two links that you gave me should I download and put in my apps folder? Then I will try it out and see if I get the same problem.
If you're referring to me

As I had said - i had trouble playing DVD's when I softmodded Mine (I used the first link to softmod) but managed to get it to play after I re-installed the second link

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you have both of those links listed on your SD card? Or just the second link? I have already soft-modded my Wii thanks to Wiihacks help.

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I have only downloaded the IOS 202 installer based on the second link. Do I need to download WiiMC 1.04 and the other files listed or just the IOS 202 intaller?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I think I best try & explain what I did

Firstly, I had already softmodded my Wii using 'completesolutions' guides & 'pimp-my-Wii' program (found in post on GBATemp), & installed 'WiiMC' first THEN the 'ios202 installer' (from the 2nd link) to allow to play DVD's - & it actually worked BUT I had some problems getting the USB HDD to work so......

.... I used the program/guide etc from the first link to Re-Softmod my Wii.
This got the USB HDD to work but I found that I couldn't play DVD's afterwards - having the same message you are getting so......

I then downloaded the '202 installer' (from the second link) AGAIN & installed that.....

....Now I can use my USB HDD for backups AND Play DVD's

Hope that clears it all up

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I should only download the second link then? How do I check if the USB HDD works? All I want to do is play virgin bought DVD movies regularly on the wii. I don't have any USB things connected to it as it is too complicated for me.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
smashdude said:
so I should only download the second link then? Yes
QUOTE said:
How do I check if the USB HDD works?I would guess you could plug in any USB device into the USB slot - e.g flashdrive or HDD (to the edge of the Wii - not the one nearer the middle of it) & use WiiMC to see if you can access the contents of it [stick some Mp3 or photos on the USB device to check] - if you can't access it - then you don't have USB supportQUOTE
All I want to do is play virgin bought DVD movies regularly on the wii.
Then don't worry about it - just try re-installing the 'ios202 installer' (from 2nd link) & see if it fixes your 'invalid DVD' fault

I only wanted the USB so that I could place backups of my paid for games & be able to play them without having to keep changing disks

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright I will just download the ios 202 installer and see if it works this time. If not I will complain again. I will delete what I have downloaded in the first link then.

smashdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have ALL of the things you told me but it stil gives me the error messages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to do now. I have everything!!!!!!! What must be wrong then? It gives me the same message OVER and OVER again.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well I'm stumped - I haven't had as much trouble as you seem to be having...
....However, a Google search may've come up with some possible answers

(I'm assuming you're trying to use WiiMC to play the DVD's)

Most newer Wiis cannot play DVD's due to a new drive used by Nintendo'
You haven't mentioned how old your Wii is - is it 'new' ??? if so you may have one of these newer drives that can't play DVD's
'Just so you know some dvds have home menus that don't work on WiiMC, while others have home menus that do work. Thats my experince.
If a home menu doesn't work, just change the settings to play the movie automatically without going to the menu first.'
'.......It is a double layer DVD and Wii has trouble reading those in case the DVD drive lens is dusty or somehow not clean...
....So I decided to go and buy DVD-ROM laser lens cleaning disc....
...those original DVD films WiiMC had trouble reading and gave INVALID DVD message to now play OK
Other than that - I'm totally stumped

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: