Hacking can i use an external hard drive caddy to power my usb pro v2?

butfluffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can i use a spare sata external hard drive caddy to power my usb pro v2?
the caddy uses 12v power which is what is needed and althrough the usb pro don't fit driectly into the caddy sata connector i have a sata power extender like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/2-Pack-Pow...37384229&sr=8-3&keywords=sata+extension+cable

what i was thinking is setup like this
12v plug to caddy
then caddy to sata power extension
then sata power extension to usb pro v2.

this method should provide the 12v sata power needed to power the usb pro v2. what i want to know is if anyone knows if this would work without issues.
i don't want to break my usb pro v2.

when i installed my xkey years ago my old pc had molex power connectors so it was easy setup.
my new pc does not have molex and i don't want to be opening it whenever i want to rip a game.
i'm looking for an external power solution and those molex power supplies seem to be having a lot of bad reviews on amazon. overheating, crackiling and so on.
any help would be great.

butfluffy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the reply.
i think i will keep it simple and just use the caddy and extender as it is. i'm happy to get confirmation that it will work without damaging the usb pro v2.
my main reason for setting up my usb pro v2 again is to rip some games which have anydvdstyle corruption in the game partitions with the isos available online.
some of these games have verified info on abgx but the isos available on line have the corruption.
i'm hoping to make clean rips for my everygame on hdd xkey project which brings me to another problem.

my first 6tb hdd has over 2tb of isos copied onto it and already the xkey is taking a little while before mixed media disc is loading.
i understand this is a problem with volume of isos on disc and a fix is to use ext4 format for hdd's.
it seems a lot of info i have read so far states that copying files to a ext4 hdd with windows will have high risk of data corruption.
there seems to be tools available but is there a good reliable tool for formatting and copying files from ntfs to ext 4?
i don't want to lose data to corruption, it's a big project and taking a lot of time.
i'm hoping to get every pal compatible game loaded on two 6tb hdds and forget using discs altogether.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Long term ripping.. I'd honestly say a dedicated power source is better.

It works fine if you'd want to flash drives but having a DVD spinning for extended periods on end, I'd go with a old PSU.
They shouldn't be to expensive really if you get it from ebay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.