Hardware Can I upgrade this to a 1080/1080ti?

Aether Lion

GBATemp's Pet Lion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I need a some verification to make sure I can upgrade this without any problem.

Current desktop:

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rog-g20cb-db71-gtx1070-sff-core-i7-6700-3-4-ghz-16-gb-1-tb/specs/

I7-6700 + GTX 1070 in a 9.5 Liter case. (I bought it for $725 in February 2017)

Wanted to know if I could upgrade it to a 1080 card and if so which one? :P Probably gonna wait till next gen cards release just to see what happens to the prices/see if the mid-range cards of next-gen use the same power as the 1080.

Thanks. :3

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can fit a founders card at the very least, you would have to measure, obviously nothing bigger than 2 slot design, also ones that push over the pci slot screws would be no good either. (I know this is a 970 but they are about the same size)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What Joe said. It's definitely possible, but you'd need to look for cards that are on the smaller side. If you give us measurements for depth, width and height of the PCIE slot space we could help you a bit more with specific recommendations

Aether Lion

GBATemp's Pet Lion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can fit a founders card at the very least, you would have to measure, obviously nothing bigger than 2 slot design, also ones that push over the pci slot screws would be no good either. (I know this is a 970 but they are about the same size)

What Joe said. It's definitely possible, but you'd need to look for cards that are on the smaller side. If you give us measurements for depth, width and height of the PCIE slot space we could help you a bit more with specific recommendations
My main worry is about the PSU being powerful enough to work with the bigger card. I think physically it'll fit. I'm just worried about roasting my PC by doing so. ^^ Also, the video you posted is to a slightly different G20 using a 970.

Last edited by Aether Lion,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generally speaking, most modern cards will do fine as long as your PSU physically has the connectors for it. There'll be some edge cases obviously, and I'll check later tonight once I'm home, but you should be fine. Plus, worst case scenario your PC just won't POST, or crash when doing something GPU intensive, it won't burn anything out in your computer

Reactions: Aether Lion

Aether Lion

GBATemp's Pet Lion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generally speaking, most modern cards will do fine as long as your PSU physically has the connectors for it. There'll be some edge cases obviously, and I'll check later tonight once I'm home, but you should be fine. Plus, worst case scenario your PC just won't POST, or crash when doing something GPU intensive, it won't burn anything out in your computer
Sorry for the slow response. Was revolving my weekend around San Diego Comic Con. Just wanted to give you a thanks. ^^

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so... It's gonna be a little tough. From what I'm seeing, your computer runs off of (up to) two DC power adapters, one 180w and one 230w, for a combined output of UP TO 410w. The minimum recommended PSU wattage I'm finding for your configuration + a 1080ti is 500w, although that's really the lowest standard form factor wattage most companies make these days. So I dunno, if you're feeling like giving it the "ol' college try", you could order a 1080ti and see if it runs without stability issues, and if it keeps blue-screening return it and fall back to a standard 1080. If you still run into stability issues there, you really have no choice but to stick with the 1070 it came with, or purchase a 1070ti

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so... It's gonna be a little tough. From what I'm seeing, your computer runs off of (up to) two DC power adapters, one 180w and one 230w, for a combined output of UP TO 410w. The minimum recommended PSU wattage I'm finding for your configuration + a 1080ti is 500w, although that's really the lowest standard form factor wattage most companies make these days. So I dunno, if you're feeling like giving it the "ol' college try", you could order a 1080ti and see if it runs without stability issues, and if it keeps blue-screening return it and fall back to a standard 1080. If you still run into stability issues there, you really have no choice but to stick with the 1070 it came with, or purchase a 1070ti
He could buy a new psu, right? Usually $40 or so for a cheap one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.