Fishing before I put up my WTS add. Selling off things for surgery.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by GreatCrippler, Jun 2, 2014.

1. GreatCrippler
    OP

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Looking for a little info before I put up my WTS add to figure out if I am going to have better luck here, or chancing ebay. Short version of a long story is, I need surgery. I fit into one of those lovely US tax lanes to where I don't qualify for Medicaid, but can't afford insurance. Lower middle class if you will. So my options are pay for this out of pocket, or wait 10 months until I am on the floor gasping for air, and hope the surgery gets done before I expire. (It's an upper respiratory surgery, if there is enough interest I don't mind the whole sob story, but its a lot to type.) I am planning to put up a WTS add with Flash Carts, Handhelds, and Electronics. Before that, I wanted to see if anyone in the community had some thoughts on the computer I am selling. I am selling off my main rig which makes me a touch sad, but living seemed to outweigh my need for computer gaming.

TL;DR I need surgery, do you think this computer is worth selling to help offset costs?

My current rig is as follows. I have a mid Cooler Master case which I added the board from a Dell Studio XPS 435mt workstation. I have the original case which I can stuff everything back into if I go the ebay route, but if you're using it like I am, the more spacious case is nice. Specs are as Follows.

CPU: i7 975 Extreme Edition (Socket 1366; 3.33 GHz Quad Core)
    Memory: 16 GB DDR 3 (Board Maxes at 24GB)
    Video Card: EVGA GTX 680 (2 GB DDR5 , still under warranty. This is a new refurb card I got a few weeks ago so very low mileage.)
    HDD: 160 GB SSD (2 X intel 80 GB SSD in Striped Raid) as Well as 2 TB internal.
    Optical: Blu-Ray Drive/DvD-RW.
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. (COA, and Stickers all still on original case. All Legitimate, nothing pirated)
    Power Supply: 750 Watt Modular Corsair

If I forgot any glaring specs, I am happy to answer any questions. If I were to put this on Ebay, I would put everything back in the Dell case, and swap the video card, as the 680 will not fit in the Dell case. The card I had in there before was a single slot Power Color AMD HD6850. (1 GB DDR5) At that point I would sell the 680 separately. I know roughly what that could go for, but with current setup I wonder what it might be worth to someone on the temp? Avoiding ebay would be preferable in the long run, and it is frankly a better PC in the bigger case with a better video card. Meant for this post to be shorter, but there's the info I wanted to get out. Any thoughts on price, or even an offer if you like?

2. Drink the Bleach
    This message by Drink the Bleach has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Jun 2, 2014, Reason: You're not very funny.
    Jun 2, 2014
  3. GreatCrippler
    This message by GreatCrippler has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Jun 2, 2014, Reason: Reply to trashed post.
    Jun 2, 2014
  4. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    If I was in that position I would sell my rig. I dunno if you'll get alot for an older i7 but everything else should be good.

5. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    You know healthcare law has changed A LOT, you can try and just get a short term plan.... look it up, can go into effect the day you sign up. Speak to one, or a couple of healthcare providers.

6. GreatCrippler
    OP

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado

Have, at length... The initial out of pocket is still several thousand more than I have.