Can I transfer Eshop purchased saves/Retail cart saves to roms?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Starzboy77, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Starzboy77
    OP

Starzboy77 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2004
    United States
    I have looked and can't find a straight answer. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I have FE:A and Paper Mario and would like to just delete them from my SD card and have them on my much larger microSD Gateway card but I don't want to lose my save data. Thank you in advance.

2. Starzboy77
    OP

Feb 4, 2004
    United States
    Bump. I have several retail games and would love to just play their roms but want to be able to transfer my save data. Same with Eshop purchased games. Is this possible?

3. SlowpokeVG

SlowpokeVG Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2015
    Serbia, Republic of
    There's a program called SaveDataFiler. I haven't tried it yet. But sounds like it's what you are searching for.

4. Liberty

Liberty GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 22, 2008
    Gambia, The
    But I read that Gateway uses a different savegame-format. The one that was used before firmware 6.x. So if your 3DS is on 8.x, you won't be able to use these savegames ...

5. Starzboy77
    OP

Feb 4, 2004
    United States
    Well I'm on 9.2 and most of my eshop and retail games Ares under 6.x so I guess I would have to wait for the 4.5 downgrade?

6. manuslm

manuslm Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2015
    Well I guess that with Gateway ultra there should be no problems, as the SysNAND is over 6.0 right?
    I might be mistaken, but it's something I've been wondering too, as I am in the same situation as Starzboy77.
    And two of my games are Zelda ALBW (eShop) and Pokémon Y (retail)...

7. _eyCaRambA_

_eyCaRambA_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 22, 2009
    United States
    Right around the corner™
    Yeah, 6.x crypot is now supported but the problem is we still can't use SaveDataFiler for CARD1 games because of how GW works.
    In Gateway Mode: Can't read retail cartridge, supports SDF cia
    In Classic Mode. Can read retail cartridge, won't run SDF cia due to missing license etc

Quite the dilemma...

8. Liberty

Liberty GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 22, 2008
    Gambia, The
    In your opinion, what's the best way to handle this whole mess?

I own a 8.1 3DS and quite a lot legit games.

Should I just play the the single-player ones via Gateway classic mode and dump the multiplayer-ones (incl. a new savegame)?

9. _eyCaRambA_

_eyCaRambA_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 22, 2009
    United States
    Right around the corner™
    One thing I didn't think about is: You could try to backup your save from the cartridge in the Gateway menu, dump your cartridge to ROM and rename the save to the GW ID standard. Maybe it will be picked up if you then use the ROM. Haven't tried that yet tho.