Can I keep my old 3ds xl firmware while using sky3ds?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by lasry, May 28, 2015.

1. lasry
    OP

lasry Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    Brazil
    I just bought a sky3ds online and its on its way.
    My 3ds XL is version 4.4U, and Id like it to continue this way cuz it might get me some coins in the future hehe
    I know gateway has the emuNAND to bypass the actualization of system´s firmware, but is there something similar for the sky3ds or am I obliged to update if I want to play new games?

2. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    I haven't really tried this but...... Here's my suggestion :

1)Use Sky3DS to load Cubic Ninja
    2)Install PastaCFW thru Cubic Ninja
    3)Use 3DNus to update to 9.2
    4)????
    5)Profit

I think you can even have the chance to downgrade back to 4.5 as long as you have 9.2 due to the Gateway downgrade system just in case something goes wrong.

Con :

Possibility of hardware bricking if you install the wrong stuff. And a software brick if somehow you are able to install a CIA with something broken in it's banner. But the chance of it happening is slim but possible.

3. lasry
    OP

lasry Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    Brazil

tks, Ill use it as a guide!

tomorrow Ill report my accomplishments

4. StriderVM

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    Dude, I am not responsible if you brick your system....... :wtf:

5. lasry
    OP

lasry Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    Brazil

haha I know I know

6. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Make absolutely sure you have a NAND backup created with the gateway launcher and several copies securely stored before you do any of this. If you accidentally go past 9.2 you will absolutely need it with a hardware mod to get back.

Also the Pasta solution will let you play newer games but not the newest. Without an emunand it is limited.

7. lasry
    OP

lasry Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2015
    Brazil
    what is the worst thing that could happen if I just go and update to the newest version? Im kinda afraid now heheh Ive read on the official website that sky3ds already supports 9.7 and I do already have a backup of my NAND

8. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    Your 3DS won't get you any "coins" in the future. Any 3DS below 9.2 can be downgraded to 4.5 now.

If you upgrade past 9.2 it will take a while before a new exploit is released (possibly never).

Sky3DS isn't that great.

9. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    You can use rxTools for emuNAND, no Gateway needed.