Hacking can i hack my friends wiis and charging for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
Well i charge 100 € for a complete softmod

And before starting flaming , burning and slicing me , listen

I offer full support for my "customers" mostly friends and newly acquired friends FNA friends of friends..

Starting with basic bootmii, priiloader, hbc

Then of course a nand backup (same as deadlyfoez ) with i store on my PC

My services includes a TB HDD , partitioned, with +- 150 games allready on it's WBFS partition, a full set of Megadrive roms (5500), SNES roms (+11000), NES (10000) Colecovision (300) and lotsa WIIWare etc etc etc

It also includes a 2 GB SD card with musthave wads
smile.gif

Following with installing the Wads, the usb loader, theming the WII ( for the record: most people like the Darkmii theme
smile.gif
), forwarders etc etc

Installing a gbatemp quicklink on their PC, saving their own nandump on a safe place, installing the wbfs manager , nusdl etc etc etc

Takes me every time at least 6 hours spending a nice evening ( well, 15 minutes for the installing part and the rest for the answering and explaining part)

That beeing said, you can now start blaming me...

Scsi

mojostyle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've modded ten or so wii's now. All have been updated using xz zero's guide. I was simply the monkey pushing the button. Following a guide using many programs created free of charge by some one else. All with priiloader installed, bottmii with nand backup, and no unnecessary programs ie wadmanager, atd... I'd rename the bootmii folder. give back the system, and tell them not to try and mod there wii in any way. I'd make no promises or guarantees. Haven't had any probs so far.
All I charged was access to there library of wii games.
Word has gotten out that I know how to mod wii's. People start asking if I charge. I said forty (Haven't modding any since) That was my goal. to use the cost as a deal breaker.
it was no prob modding my friends wii. Some have returned the favor, newly used cellphone, another loaned my 150$ on short notice, another helped me find parts to fix my furnace in the cold night of winter.
So I don't think its appropriate to charge for some one else's work.

dajavax

Trophies
Website
www.dajavax.tk
XP
Country
Mexico
i guess it's up to you and up to your friends i guess... one day some friend asked me to jailbreak his iphone... i told him it was easy and he just neeeded to download some free software... he told me he'd pay me for me to do it because he was "lazy" i told him it was really easy but he insisted... i told him alright but he would have to watch me and see how easy it was... i opened the program... clicked the "jailbreak" button and i earned some money... he was just like "woow that was actually really easy but oh well"

i guess as long as your friend knows he can do it for free by himself but he's still willing to pay you it's ok... also charge for the service not for the tools
wink.gif

EDIT: i have to say... "i bricked" one when someone told me to hack it... wasn't actually my fault as it happened when officially updating a virgin wii but still... people might get mad if it happens under your supervision

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gabber said:
TRushInfo said:
ok, what about drug dealers wiis and taking it out in trade lol

dont touch my wii

dont touch my drugs.
something tells me you have nothing i want anyway lol

on a different note, i hacked a friends wii for a donation, and his kids plugged the usb in the wrong port, of course thats somehow MY fault, i told him plug it into the other one, he claims he tried that so I go over there and guess what, wrong port. all because i hacked his wii-

Omega191

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
I love how 2 of your quotes are from well over a year ago when I had to burn discs for people for their backups. How many times are you gonna keep pulling up those quotes? Kinda funny that you are so willing to go out of your way to make me look like a fool and sift through nearly 2,000 posts that I've made just to only find 2 things to try to incriminate me. Guess what man. Back in the days of only having backups on disc it took a LOT longer to do things. If I had 20 games to backup for someone and then burn for them, with the DVD's that I paid for then yeah my time is money. With USB hard drives though it is so much simpler and I dont put a charge for hacking a wii.

Funny me saying that I have gotten anywhere from $25 to $100 is not me saying that I was charging that, no thats just what people gave me, and guess what man, like I said things have changed and have become so much simpler now.
I don't see him saying anything about your pirating habits, which this forum forbids, but I believe the point he was making is that you are a hypocrite.

QUOTE(DeadlyFoez @ Jun 1 2010, 04:41 PM) Yeah, what if it's an LU64+ wii? What if it has a samsung chip in it? What if you're stuck with having to use an infectus or other nand programmer? What if the idiot did not make a nand backup first? (which so many people decide to do last because they are impatient)
Okay, I'll bite, what do you do if someone has a so called "LU64+ Wii" and didn't make a backup, which you say is so common, bricks his Wii, let's say he uninstalled the sysmenu IOS, oh wise one, please make clear to us how to solve this.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I did patch a quite few Wii's all for free.

Though one of my best friends father gave me 5 Euro for it.
smile.gif

And yea.. All those who don't gimme me money just dont have to expect 24/7 service
tongue.gif
It's just a delay nothing personal. lol

But seriously, I like to do these stuff, have a drink and a chat while patching the Wii. It's fun to mean new things happening to Wii's. So I met a LU64+ etc..
(So I discovered you can just go and remove the IOS16, and install the 'Wii Nintendo Backup Disk v1.31' IOS16 on a LU64+)

I'm going to patch a another Wii anytime soon. (I already told to do his Wii around beginning of 2010 though heh.. But we finally talked with each other again, he moved away a little from here.)

Also, you guys must know you are not 'hacking' the Wii. But 'patching' it.
Because: You didn't make the hacks/patches your self (most of time, that is)

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Adr990 said:
Also, you guys must know you are not 'hacking' the Wii. But 'patching' it.
Because: You didn't make the hacks/patches your self (most of time, that is)

i like to think im thunder fucking the wii. Pulling its cables and rubbing its slots.... but hey thats just me

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
crwys said:
If you are talking about friends here.... I wouldn't be charging them at all, even soldering a friends Wii. But thats just me I guess...
Not just you at all. What type of shitty person charges their friends for something? Glad I have real friends who are happy to do a favour, and I'm happy to do one back (like "hack" their wii).

Besides all that, making money off someone else hard work, whilst you just click a few buttons? Congratulations, the exploitative capitalist is alive & well!

Omega191

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't buy non-"LU64+" Wiis anymore, and as you say so many people don't make backups, so, you must be able to fix them right?

Oh, and about the hypocrisy, will this do?

DeadlyFoez said:
There are plenty of people who mod wii's for a profit. I do it at times. I only go by word of mouth and I dont advertise it. At first it was friends just throwing me some cash or dinner or a nice bag, whatever they wanted. But I do a lot when I work on someone's Wii. I keep a nand backup on my computer so if they ever fuck it up then I can always fix it. Being that I am one of the very few on here that has the tools that I do have to be able to pull off a nand chip and flash back a previous dump is a great guarantee for anyone. So I certainly go above and beyond, and not to mention I do it mainly just for friends who are computer illiterate. I certainly dont take high amount of money from people even if they offer it.

I actually had friends saying that I'm not taking enough money for what I am doing, and I say, "you got to understand, all of this is freely available software and I dont see the point in charging for that unless I am donating some profits to the authors of the software".

I am ethical about what I do, and like I said, I dont advertise this or put a fee on what I do except if I have to fix a brick. I would not ever accept anywhere close to $100 for what I do. Hell, my wii repairs I only charge $45 for and thats with a lot of time that I put into each repair causing me to make less than $8 an hour. When you can install HBC and bootmii in under 1 minute, charging $100 is just wrong. And that's the best I can do so I can still help the community and slowly pay off this equipment that I have sacrificed so much money for.

QUOTE(DeadlyFoez @ May 19 2009, 02:56 AM) I have gotten anywhere from $25 - $100 for almost every wii that I've done

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
donations and charging are two different things. also wii modding is different than WII REPAIRS. So you pretty much just sound like an idiot with a boner for deadlyfoez

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wouldnt charge for hacking patching a wii, but i have suggested an occasional handie from the modee's gf.

and, trush, did you know you cant buy medical marijuana in california? you cant buy it, but you are required to make a donation in the amount the dispensary says the weed is worth.

cthg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
cthg said:
DeadlyFoez said:
thehritzinator said:
Ive done it for a few friends but do u think i should charge for it?
The people i do it for kno nothing about computers or hacking so they have no idea how to do it by themselves
No offense, but you should not be hacking anybodies wii except your own. Too many people who are not experienced enough think that they're cool because they know how to press a few buttons and plug in a hard drive. But too many times there are morons that make a grave mistake on a wii and end up having to pay for it.

You should not hack anyones wii unless you can fix it if it fucks up. There are only a few people that can do that... 1 being me. But I still dont charge, people donate to me.

Just look at the response for this one asshole who was charging $100 for HBC and bootmii and what happened to him. http://gbatemp.net/t222038-another-thief-o...-wild?&st=0
And that guy had no fucking clue about anything at all. He was a huge liability to himself and he was too stupid to know it.
It's not too hard to fix a wii. Just freaking make a bootmii backup before you do anything.
Yeah, what if it's an LU64+ wii? What if it has a samsung chip in it? What if you're stuck with having to use an infectus or other nand programmer? What if the idiot did not make a nand backup first? (which so many people decide to do last because they are impatient)

I bought a hot air station $300, my infectus $65, tsop48 clip $50, shit loads of time researching and compiling together a tutorial because no one else had and I made it easier for everyone else in the end. Granted, I've fixed over 100 wii's, most being lu64+ wii's that had a nand backup, or other wii's where the person never installed bootmii. At least I can guarantee to never brick anyones wii.

Of course it's not hard fix a wii, that is if it's the perfect scenario (bootmii in boot2 and a nand backup), or if you have all the right tools and a nicely written tutorial to go by.

Do I really need to prove every single point in this thread?
I'm just pointing out that if you do have bootmii in boot2 and a nand backup. Almost nothing can go wrong while softmodding (there's a reason it's called "soft").

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
"donation" is just a different way of claiming recompense for other peoples work.

Ethical is saying "no thanks, keep your money, I didn't do much", because let's be honest - installing HBC and Bootmii, NAND backup, copying some files to memory card and keeping a archive of the NAND on your PC isn't much work.

I used to charge less than these prices for installing a 40 wire PS2 chip, including the cost of the chip!

Not to say that I haven't had friends-of-friends bring a bag of weed and a few Es and had a laugh with them because I did their wii in the past. But I've gone out and bought the beer/K to go with it.

Omega191

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TRushInfo said:
donations and charging are two different things. also wii modding is different than WII REPAIRS. So you pretty much just sound like an idiot with a boner for deadlyfoez
Either you can't read or you misinterpreted what was written, please go over it again.

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OncleJulien said:
i wouldnt charge for hacking patching a wii, but i have suggested an occasional handie from the modee's gf.

and, trush, did you know you cant buy medical marijuana in california? you cant buy it, but you are required to make a donation in the amount the dispensary says the weed is worth.

yes but if there were public gardens, id just go pick my own, not sure how that relates but it has something to do wih hackmii being free. i dunno i got high n lost what i was saying

@omega: Oh you got me I cant read, all i can see is myself calling u a tard with a boner, wait it was idiot, see i cant read

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@omega,

stop looking for posts by DeadlyFoez and twisting his words around to make him sound bad. With enough posts to select from, I could make any1 sound like an asshole by reporting their statements OUT OF CONTEXT (but in your case I would only need one or two).

Fact, DeadlyFoez offers a service not a lot of people do. I've never even seen an infectus IRL, while DeadlyFoez cut a nice fucking hole in his wii so he can switch chips as he pleases (fucking awesome btw, if I ever get an infectus, I want that quick switch ability too!).

DeadlyFoez isn't about the money, otherwise, why the fuck would he have tutorials trying to get people to fix their own damn wii's? Not to mention, his signature says "DON'T PM ME"... u would think some1 after money would want as many PMs as he can get.

In the end, Omega, u haven't done shit for the community... if u want to troll around bitching about people who actually do something for the rest of us, do us all a favour, and do it on a fisherprice laptop so none of us have to read your BS.

@everyone else, sorry for going off topic, but it had to be said

lazor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
@omega,

stop looking for posts by DeadlyFoez and twisting his words around to make him sound bad. With enough posts to select from, I could make any1 sound like an asshole by reporting their statements OUT OF CONTEXT.

Fact, DeadlyFoez offers a service not a lot of people do. I've never even seen an infectus IRL, while DeadlyFoez cut a nice fucking hole in his wii so he can switch chips as he pleases (fucking awesome btw, if I ever get an infectus, I want that quick switch ability too!).

DeadlyFoez isn't about the money, otherwise, why the fuck would he have tutorials trying to get people to fix their own damn wii's? Not to mention, his signature says "DON'T PM ME"... u would think some1 after money would want as many PMs as he can get.

In the end, Omega, u haven't done shit for the community... if u want to troll around bitching about people who actually do something for the rest of us, do us all a favour, and do it on a fisherprice laptop so none of us have to read your BS.

@everyone else, sorry for going off topic, but it had to be said
how the hell do you take things like "I have gotten anywhere from $25 - $100 for almost every wii that I've done" out of context

please inform me of the context of the statement which changes it so greatly or shut your whore mouth

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
"I have gotten anywhere from $25 - $100 for almost every wii that I've done" by itself isn't bad, but when u combine it with 5 other posts u can twist any1's words around. If you like, I can take a look at your posts and see what I can come up with (I wouldn't really do that, I have better things to do with my time)

first of all, who cares how much some1 paid him to do it, he's not selling software, and he's not lying to people, and he's not even charging $100.

Are u telling me u would turn down $100 if some1 offered it to u, even if u were willing to mod their wii for free? If so, you're a liar AND a hypocrite.

Anyways, anyone can tell u I am not all about flaming, in fact I hate it. The only time I will even get in an arguement is when some fucking NOBODY decides to bad mouth a friend of mine.

Final point, unless u think u have contributed more than DeadlyFoez to the community, then keep your mouth shut. IMHO, all u bastards with 10 posts should be thankful for people like DeadlyFoez, who took the time to write a guide for the dumb ass noobs who brick themselves. (FYI, i know a low post count doesn't mean u are a noob, but it usually does)

Now, can we please get back on topic... when did this thread become the "lets bitch about DeadlyFoez thread"... seriously, WTF

lazor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
"I have gotten anywhere from $25 - $100 for almost every wii that I've done" by itself isn't bad

first of all, who cares how much some1 paid him to do it, he's not selling software, and he's not lying to people, and he's not even charging $100.

Are u telling me u would turn down $100 if some1 offered it to u, even if u were willing to mod their wii for free? If so, you're a liar AND a hypocrite.

Anyways, anyone can tell u I am not all about flaming, in fact I hate it. The only time I will even get in an arguement is when some fucking NOBODY decides to bad mouth a friend of mine.

Final point, unless u think u have contributed more than DeadlyFoez to the community, then keep your mouth shut. IMHO, all u bastards with 10 posts should be thankful for people like DeadlyFoez, who took the time to write a guide for the dumb ass noobs who brick themselves. (FYI, i know a low post count doesn't mean u are a noob, but it usually does)

Now, can we please get back on topic... when did this thread become the "lets bitch about DeadlyFoez thread"... seriously, WTF
thanks for agreeing with me

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
In the end, Omega, u haven't done shit for the community...
lets follow the path back down into the rabbit hole, if we dare:

nus auto downloader ----> uses libwiisharp ----> which is based off of wii.py ----> which was written by, amongst others, omega

shoulda taken the blue pill, dude...shoulda taken the blue pill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1