can i hack my friends wiis and charging for it?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by thehritzinator, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gao

Gao Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2010
    United States
    You're house!
    This pretty much how it is with people, I've had this happened to me with my PSP, got shi* on my PSP broken, then I got fed up and realized how easy it was to hack something if you follow the guides exactly as instructed to. My answer is, If they're friends don't charge them

2. Scott-105

Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Aug 23, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I guess you're right. Some people are really stupid.

3. C.S.I.

C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Mar 8, 2010
    Down under
    There are alos plenty of people who are lazy, PC/Technology illiterate, or both.

Modding a console, loading up all the apps, and showing or explaining whats required in some simple terms all takes time, and if some people are too lazy to read this forum and the C.S.G or too chicken shit, then they should expect to pay something for your time to mod and tweak it.

Otherwise you will be forever hassled by every man and their dog for misc. crap.

And modding a Wii console for the first time is a pretty scary adventure for most, was for me.

I probably spent 12 hours reading before doing it. Cheaper to pay someone to simply do it, but not as much fun.

4. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    You don't even have to be stupid, if u are not up current events in the wii world, u could get bricked by using outdated software (or "apps that brick now")

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but this happened to me once, funny story if any1 is interested
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    but the point is, bricking a wii could happen to anyone who blindly follows a guide (especially if they are following a guide they found months ago)

(but I learned my lesson, not only am I more active in the wii community now, but now I make sure I install everything offline with wads, I don't trust any app that downloads things on the fly (apps like WiiSCU), I'm always worried it will DL a newly stubbed IOS once SMv4.3 comes out or something)

5. armand66

armand66 Newbie

haha yeh xflak, it doesn't take much for someone to fall out of the loop in the most up to date stuff going on in the wii scene.

Just seeing these forums in the past 2 weeks, and seeing people come on here, talk about guides theyve found by googling (despite 2 guides stickied above their heads lol) and then complaining that theyve stuffed something up, then found a new guide to downgrade...lol....then to do this and that, shows the idiocy of people sometimes.

I've had to touch up and fix mates wiis, who they've had modded by the "pro" modders here in australia, who have rushed stuff and skipped obvious steps and left them with a wii that is sometimes lucky not to be bricked.

Nothing like seeing someone on gbatemp though, come on and talk about following one of the two major guides, and then realize straight away they didnt in fact follow it and skipped a major step or two.

But, again, as said above, if you know what you are doing (aka, not someone who just followed the fast-mode guide above once lmfao) then modding a mates wii takes you hardly any time at all and is no effort, so charging is a weak move.

I got no issues with peeps charging strangers to mod them, its basically what the modders here in aus do, and badly and rushed at that.

6. Binxy

Binxy GBAtemp Regular

Aug 21, 2009
    United States
    I get paid in alcohol for hacking my friends' wii's [​IMG]

When it comes to friends and family I don't charge them anything. Most of the time they buy me a bottle or a 12 pack.
    But, If one of their friends ask me to hack a wii for them I tell them to check out gbatemp.net or wiihacks.com and they can do it them self. If they they give me the run around that they don't know squat about that I say I can do it for 30 bucks ( Not charging for Homebrew or any of the apps. My time is money) and that they understand that once I do this it voids all warranties on their wii and that once done they hold all responsibility for what they do to their wii.

7. wes11ph

wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2009
    Afghanistan
    basement lvl-249
    @ OP
    truely do what ever you like...its for your own good.

8. Fear_the_Tubes

Fear_the_Tubes Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2010
    United States
    For friends: Drink with me, Smoke with me, feed me. I'll do it for "free" but I expect a meal or a few drinks in return. [​IMG]

For friends of friends: I charge them $10 and hour and it usually comes up between $20 and $30.

I do a lot more than running the hackmii installer. I set-up everything so they can use it after I'm done. I print out guides I've written myself explaining how to use the software that I put on it and I make sure it all works. Usually I end up spending more time on them than I charge them for.

I give the software away of course and sometimes I throw in free sd cards and what not.

If they do end up with problems in the future I have everything I need including spare parts laying around and can usually fix them. I had to take one apart just the other day and replace the drive motor.

9. Gabber

Gabber Member

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2009
    Netherlands
    Holland
    dont touch my wii

10. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I have done 5 wiis now but they have all been for family members who have seen my hdd and said "I want that". I say to them get yourself a hdd and bring me your wii and ill sort it out for you. I have received various things in return from a classis snes with a shitload of games to £100 cash!!! I tell them i dont do it for the returns but they give me stuff anyway.

Its when they want copies of my games that it gets to be a problem........

I deny them this, saying they must buy them or "aquire" them themselves from the net.

11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Hmm...3 pages, but I haven't seen my main argument against it mentioned:

responsibility.

It's pretty much applied economics: you get what you pay for. If you do it for free, nobody can blame you if you screw up (after all, you DID mention all the sites with guides and all the freeware stuff that comes with it, right?). And if you do it right, you're most likely to get something anyway (a well-meant "thank you [​IMG]" may not be as useless as it might seem).

But if you want money, they're going to want something in return. You won't be able to skip out (without risking to lose your friendship), they'll expect that they can get you to come over next time as well (say, when they discover some game doesn't work straight away) or - even worse - tell people you don't know that you're willing to pay their wii as well if you pay them.

Oh, and if you DO screw up...then it's only fair to make up for it (which may very well be buying them a new wii). It'll be that or lose a friend.

(I really hope nobody here will think that their friends are worth less than the price of a wii)

12. Thoob

Thoob LOLmonade.

May 28, 2009
    Scotland
    As long as you're charging for actually doing the hack then I think that's fair, but if you're just selling the software (i.e. bannerbomb, etc.) to them then no way.

13. dark ajax

dark ajax GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2009
    Mexico
    Chihuahua (Not a Dog!!!)
    I've hacked some wiis now, I've NEVER charged my friends/family for it and NEVER will (of course if they insist on buying my dinner i can't comply...), I'll fix my friends wiis if anything happens, and if anything were too far being my fault i would buy a new wii for them. But I've also hacked wiis for some other people, and yeah i charged them (like around 20 dollars), but they where ok when i told them this had no guarantee or anything and of course explained how to use them and what they shouldn't do and all that crap...

14. mousex

mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 23, 2009
    United States
    double lol. Theres the megalomaniac Foez again.

15. tueidj

tueidj I R Expert

Jan 8, 2009
    In the words of Gump: stupid is as stupid does.

16. MrScib

MrScib Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2010
    Gambia, The
    3 weeks after hacking my wii I also hacked the wii of friends and other people like my moms friends(they were mostly 40+ and had kids in my age).
    So i hacked round about 5 wiis in 2 weeks.
    I didnt charged for any wii but some of them gave me a bit money(like 15€ or something).

17. cthg

cthg GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    It's not too hard to fix a wii. Just freaking make a bootmii backup before you do anything.

18. snico1995

snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2010
    United States
    i wouldn't charge more than 10 bucks, i did my friends for free, i just told him not to install anything and that i would patch it for him when i game he wanted to play came out, i also installed bootmii and made a nand backup in case either of us fucked up, just make sure you take all the precautions and you will probably be fine

19. awssk8er

awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 26, 2007
    United States
    New Jersey
    My brother charged people to flash their 360's.

I guess it's the same idea, except easier.

Just don't make it into a business (Like on Craigslist). That's how you get caught/fined.

If it's a little deal between a friend (Or friends) it's not a big deal.

A few of my friends have Wii's and they buy all their games. I would mod theirs, but all of them are too stupid, and would end up bricking it or would need constant help.

20. Okami Wolfen

Okami Wolfen GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2009
    United States
    Ohio
    Hacking a console takes absolutely no skill except for knowing how to read instructions off a damn web page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.