Can HD resolutions be uncapped on Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Painguy, Nov 28, 2009.

Nov 28, 2009
  1. Painguy
    OP

Member Painguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was wondering if it is possible to unlock that video res cap nintendo put on the wii? We've had games displayed in HD resolutions since the 1990's so its obvious the wii is capable of it. I know it wont be practical with all the slow downs. For example mario Galaxy runs at 60fps right? well if we amped up the res to 1280x720p we would obviously have an FPS drop, but probably around 10-15fps or so. The one problem with this is that the game probably doesnt have frame skipping so it would playback VERY slowly . Could frame skipping be added so it would play smoothly? 45 fps is still very good as long as its not below 30. 1 Street Fighter IV fro the PC also doesnt hav frame skipping. When i tried recording with fraps it slowed down, but did not frameskip. plz dont flame lol just an idea.

2. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    The Wii was made to have fun not for showing off graphics.
    Be happy with it or go buy a PS3 or XBOX360

3. nitrostemp

Member nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    someone was fast with the deletion of the double topic post

4. Painguy
    OP

United States
    lol yeah sry about that. i clicked submit then for some reason it gave me an error and i went back submit again then the same thing happened again 1 more time. lol. BTW im just wondering if its possible. im not saying ZOMG THE WII"S LOOKS LIKES the SHIZ lol. If its possible on some games y not do it? plus im not very fond of my 360 that much. its gathering dust. lol the only thing it has are shooters whiche gets a little boring. on top of that i just get the PC version of the 360 game lol.

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    its not capped. capping implies that the capability is there in the hardware and there is a deliberate measure put in place to stop it.

in the case of the wii, she dont have the power. there is no cap that can be removed. thats like asking if you can remove the cap on your riding lawnmower and do 220mph.

6. edracon

Newcomer edracon Advanced Member

United States
    I read somewhere on these boards that it has something to do with the chip itself.. and that it's a hardware limitation, not software.... so no... it can't be uncapped.

7. Painguy
    OP

United States
    yeah i heard it was the frame buffer chip or something, but Nintendo added some code to cap it. Im pretty sure it can be done if Quake 1 was run in HD resolutions back in 1996 with an ATI Rage 3d (8mb vram lol) then im pretty sure the wii can do it. Just has to be unlocked. any dev here actually knows the answer?

8. n2locarz

Newcomer n2locarz Newbie

LOL! That has to be one of the lamest arguments I've heard. Because my COMPUTER can do it then I'm pretty sure the wii can too.

Ask yourself this. If Nintendo was able to push the graphics beyond what it is currently capable of, why wouldn't they do it?

9. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i love these threads
    no the wii isn't capped by some evil hidden plan by nintendo to keep you from playing 1080p on your wii
    the wii just can't output 720p or 1080i/p even if someone someway wrote new firmware for the graphics card to output 720 or 1080 (which would take a lot of senseless work) the wii it would get too hot and graphics chip would burn out no no no
    please let this be the last post on this thread the answer is plainly no
    im sorry if your grandma's ex-husbands nextdoor neighbor's son said he could do it its not going to happen

10. Painguy
    OP

United States
    well of course the wii has its limitations. im not denying that. Take the Conduit for example. Constantly running around 30-24FPS. They capped the res so devs wouldnt have to worry about users outputting at 1280x720 or 1920x1080. If they had to worry about that then the games would have to be designed with worse graphics worse to compensate for those who would run their games at those resolutions. by locking the HD resolutions Nintendo assured devs that they wouldn't have to worry about those things & they can make the games look better despite the lower resolution. my point here is for the games that happen to play at 60FPS like Metroid Prime 3 or Galaxy it should be possible to output at at least 720p. Im not saying GO UNLOCK THE FEATURE GBATEMP. im merely asking if it is possible just for pure knowledge. I dont care about HD resolutions on my Wii. i have an upscaler built into my reciever so it really isnt a big deal for me lol. no need to be so harsh.

11. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    the next best thing you can do is use a converter to hook your wii through a hdmi cable which is what i've done. it's not hd but it does make it a lot more clearer and crisp than any component cable could ever do. check out my videos in sig you can see it yourself sort of [​IMG]

12. blitzer320

United States
    Bladexdsl xp ewwww lol
    just kidding i love the stability of xp
    as anyone can see i have cleverly changed the subject because this topic is just so stupid if you wanted hd you shoulda got a 360 or ps3 just like the second post said

13. TroyTheZombie

Member TroyTheZombie GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    there is such a converter???

did you make it yourself, or did you buy it? if you bought it, where did you?

14. CrimsoniteX

Member CrimsoniteX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The Wii isn't capped, it's just not very powerful in the graphics department. In fact, in reality it is little more than an overclocked Gamecube. Buy a PS3 or 360 if you want the latest graphics. Or better yet, buy a PC.

15. blitzer320

United States
    pc ati 4670 thats what i got and i get almost the same graphics as ps3 on 2k10 and get this you can can be a pirate on the pc also

16. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Look pal, your guesstimations really don't amount to anything. You might think that game framerate has to do with HD capabilities but they don't really have anything to do with it.

17. Bladexdsl

Australia
    bought it. their called a component to hdmi converter

18. TroyTheZombie

Canada
    pricy lil buggers.

Is there much of a difference, or just slight?

19. Bladexdsl

Australia
    the colours are sharper and crisper just like you'd get with hdmi it's way better than a component cable so it's worth it to me [​IMG]

20. TroyTheZombie

Canada
    hmm, I may just have to invest in one of these.

Thanks for the heads up Bladexdsl.