Hacking Can HD resolutions be uncapped on Wii?

Painguy

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if it is possible to unlock that video res cap nintendo put on the wii? We've had games displayed in HD resolutions since the 1990's so its obvious the wii is capable of it. I know it wont be practical with all the slow downs. For example mario Galaxy runs at 60fps right? well if we amped up the res to 1280x720p we would obviously have an FPS drop, but probably around 10-15fps or so. The one problem with this is that the game probably doesnt have frame skipping so it would playback VERY slowly . Could frame skipping be added so it would play smoothly? 45 fps is still very good as long as its not below 30. 1 Street Fighter IV fro the PC also doesnt hav frame skipping. When i tried recording with fraps it slowed down, but did not frameskip. plz dont flame lol just an idea.

Painguy

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
nitrostemp said:
someone was fast with the deletion of the double topic post
lol yeah sry about that. i clicked submit then for some reason it gave me an error and i went back submit again then the same thing happened again 1 more time. lol. BTW im just wondering if its possible. im not saying ZOMG THE WII"S LOOKS LIKES the SHIZ lol. If its possible on some games y not do it? plus im not very fond of my 360 that much. its gathering dust. lol the only thing it has are shooters whiche gets a little boring. on top of that i just get the PC version of the 360 game lol.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not capped. capping implies that the capability is there in the hardware and there is a deliberate measure put in place to stop it.

in the case of the wii, she dont have the power. there is no cap that can be removed. thats like asking if you can remove the cap on your riding lawnmower and do 220mph.

Painguy

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
yeah i heard it was the frame buffer chip or something, but Nintendo added some code to cap it. Im pretty sure it can be done if Quake 1 was run in HD resolutions back in 1996 with an ATI Rage 3d (8mb vram lol) then im pretty sure the wii can do it. Just has to be unlocked. any dev here actually knows the answer?

n2locarz

Trophies
XP
Country
Painguy said:
yeah i heard it was the frame buffer chip or something, but Nintendo added some code to cap it. Im pretty sure it can be done if Quake 1 was run in HD resolutions back in 1996 with an ATI Rage 3d (8mb vram lol) then im pretty sure the wii can do it. Just has to be unlocked. any dev here actually knows the answer?

LOL! That has to be one of the lamest arguments I've heard. Because my COMPUTER can do it then I'm pretty sure the wii can too.

Ask yourself this. If Nintendo was able to push the graphics beyond what it is currently capable of, why wouldn't they do it?

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i love these threads
no the wii isn't capped by some evil hidden plan by nintendo to keep you from playing 1080p on your wii
the wii just can't output 720p or 1080i/p even if someone someway wrote new firmware for the graphics card to output 720 or 1080 (which would take a lot of senseless work) the wii it would get too hot and graphics chip would burn out no no no
please let this be the last post on this thread the answer is plainly no
im sorry if your grandma's ex-husbands nextdoor neighbor's son said he could do it its not going to happen

Painguy

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
n2locarz said:
Painguy said:

LOL! That has to be one of the lamest arguments I've heard. Because my COMPUTER can do it then I'm pretty sure the wii can too.

Ask yourself this. If Nintendo was able to push the graphics beyond what it is currently capable of, why wouldn't they do it?
well of course the wii has its limitations. im not denying that. Take the Conduit for example. Constantly running around 30-24FPS. They capped the res so devs wouldnt have to worry about users outputting at 1280x720 or 1920x1080. If they had to worry about that then the games would have to be designed with worse graphics worse to compensate for those who would run their games at those resolutions. by locking the HD resolutions Nintendo assured devs that they wouldn't have to worry about those things & they can make the games look better despite the lower resolution. my point here is for the games that happen to play at 60FPS like Metroid Prime 3 or Galaxy it should be possible to output at at least 720p. Im not saying GO UNLOCK THE FEATURE GBATEMP. im merely asking if it is possible just for pure knowledge. I dont care about HD resolutions on my Wii. i have an upscaler built into my reciever so it really isnt a big deal for me lol. no need to be so harsh.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the next best thing you can do is use a converter to hook your wii through a hdmi cable which is what i've done. it's not hd but it does make it a lot more clearer and crisp than any component cable could ever do. check out my videos in sig you can see it yourself sort of
tongue.gif

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl xp ewwww lol
just kidding i love the stability of xp
as anyone can see i have cleverly changed the subject because this topic is just so stupid if you wanted hd you shoulda got a 360 or ps3 just like the second post said

CrimsoniteX

Trophies
Website
crims0n.us
XP
Country
United States
The Wii isn't capped, it's just not very powerful in the graphics department. In fact, in reality it is little more than an overclocked Gamecube. Buy a PS3 or 360 if you want the latest graphics. Or better yet, buy a PC.

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pc ati 4670 thats what i got and i get almost the same graphics as ps3 on 2k10 and get this you can can be a pirate on the pc also

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look pal, your guesstimations really don't amount to anything. You might think that game framerate has to do with HD capabilities but they don't really have anything to do with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there...