Hardware Can a Wii U break because it get's too hot?

johndoegba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was wondering if the Wii U system can break because it get's too hot because the fan openings are closed off. Or will it automatically turn off without causing any damage if it get's too hot? Like with PC's. I was wondering because i didn't remove the white plastic foil when i turned on the system in case it needed to be easily repacked to return to the store. So the fan openings were closed off due to the plastic foil being wrapped over it. It was stupid of me to do so but this thought hadn't crossed my mind until now. There's this smell coming from the back off my Wii U which i smelled when i unboxed it before i turned it on. It smells like the kind of "new" smell electronic products have but i didn't smell this when i unboxed my last Wii U. The MK8 and Splatoon bundle. This bundle is the ZombiU bundle from 2012. Maybe it's because this is such an old model i have this smell coming from it? I'm hoping for some good news and i hope i didn't break my brand new Wii U from 2012 with firmware 1.0.1E because of my stupidity. I'm a bit panicking here haha. It turns on normally though.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Anything can get damaged if it gets too hot. NEVER cover the air vents, because it can cause irreversible damage, and you may have to send into Nintendo and you'll probably have it updated on you before it's sent back.

I'm surprised it's still working considering how long the ZombiU bundle has been around for. Definitely take off the plastic and anything else covering it. Besides, at this point, you can't really return it anyway...

Last edited by loco365,

johndoegba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for letting me know. Do you think damage has been caused for the couple of minutes the Wii U needed to be set up and check the system version?

loco365

Trophies
XP
Thanks for letting me know. Do you think damage has been caused for the couple of minutes the Wii U needed to be set up and check the system version?
I'd say any damages would be a result of covering it for a prolonged period of time while using it, such as playing a game. If it's been off and stored away, it'll be fine, but if you ever do use it, ensure no vents are covered.

johndoegba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd say any damages would be a result of covering it for a prolonged period of time while using it, such as playing a game. If it's been off and stored away, it'll be fine, but if you ever do use it, ensure no vents are covered.

Thanks for the useful information. I already unboxed and removed all the foil around it and it's sitting on top of my PS4 in my TV furniture. I'm relieved because of your answer :)

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the useful information. I already unboxed and removed all the foil around it and it's sitting on top of my PS4 in my TV furniture. I'm relieved because of your answer :)
That might be a bad place for it if possible give it its own space in an open air area or somewhere with a vent. For example having them side by side would be fine.

johndoegba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That might be a bad place for it if possible give it its own space in an open air area or somewhere with a vent. For example having them side by side would be fine.

The TV furniture is open at everyside. Front, back, left and right. I have all my consoles stashed there which is a LOT. They aren't all turned on at once though haha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker