Hacking Can 720p be possible with a firmware update on the Wii?

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blake1710 said:
AFAIK, to get true 720p, a HDMI cable is needed.

I can see the difference of 720p through composite and 720p through a HDMI cable. Its noticeable.

But meh, i don't really know a whole heap about A/V

lol 720p is 720p no matter what source its from wiether its from component vga or hdmi or dvi its all the same neither will will make it look better., there is no "TRUE 720p"
hdmi was created for protected content and is a way of doing audio and vido over 1 cable =]
go do some reading

Kosaic

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@djtaz - How did you find out about the sparke bargle application? THere must be a leak !

ArmTheHomeless is an unbelievable developer when it comes to the plutonite bargles, especially 720P capable spark receptors. I heard that if he can get the quagulators just right, and the component cables are made from Iridium (and less than 6 feet) that he will be able to get 2160P from the Wii.

I just hope that he doesnt require a Coby SD for this, as they are getting hard to find after the last go around. However, I did manage to get one on eBay for 799.99 ! I thought it was a steal.

Arm - Let us know if you need any help with the final recompilation of the receptors or bargles. OH, and dont forget the Wii's rectifiers and make sure you formulate the right dumpage of signal.

Cheers

Posts merged

Blake1710 said:

I can see the difference of 720p through composite and 720p through a HDMI cable. Its noticeable.

Let me guess, your also the guy who bought the expensive Monster cables form your local AV shop cause they convinced you that they are better?

Cables have nothing to do with 720P .... It is purely the spark bargles as djtaz has noted.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Blake1710 said:

But meh, i don't really know a whole heap about A/V
you dont seem to know alot fullstop HDMI isnt A/V at all it depends on your tv as to how things look.

HJBSCX

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Maybe he is refering to true 720p on TVs with no overscan and 1:1 pixel mapping because many flat TVs do make overscan when the source is plugged in via YUV cable.
And of course, as YUV being analog, HDMI output is superior. It is definitely noticable.

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii is locked at 420p.

They won't ever unlock it, God knows why.

720p will remain a mystery. To address the question, yes Nintendo could unlock the higher resolution with a firmware update.

Keyword: Unlock.

The Ps2 & Xbox had a handful of true 1080i/p games. Surely the Gamecube "2" is strong enough to do even 1080i.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
720p would probably be possible on a Wii if they just included an upscaler in the Wii, like ANA/HANA in the 360, right (obviously, software support would be needed too)? Or isn't it just that simple?

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know how exactly 720p was done on Dolphin emulator for Wii?

I am eagerly awaiting the day that someone hacks the Ps3 and turns it into a Wii emulator with 720p to boot, would make me lol to end.

feidhlim1986

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure the Wii could handle 720p Video Playback (ie a 720p video file on an SD Card) but it can't and never will be able to run a game rendering at 720p

The Teej

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
MrBubbles said:
Does anyone know how exactly 720p was done on Dolphin emulator for Wii?

I am eagerly awaiting the day that someone hacks the Ps3 and turns it into a Wii emulator with 720p to boot, would make me lol to end.

That's software emulation, it's a whole different thing altogether. Dolphin isn't restricted by the Wii hardware.

And lol, Wii emulator for PS3, that'd be awesome. You could even use the Wii discs, so it wouldn't be piracy at all
rofl2.gif

Gamii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
feidhlim1986 said:
I'm sure the Wii could handle 720p Video Playback (ie a 720p video file on an SD Card) but it can't and never will be able to run a game rendering at 720p

That could make Mplayer quite interesting. Could you provide some facts, please?

feidhlim1986

Trophies
XP
Country
Gamii said:
feidhlim1986 said:

That could make Mplayer quite interesting. Could you provide some facts, please?

I'm not saying Mplayer can do it. As it has been said here, the Wii GPU is locked to 420p. I'm was saying that if you took the Wii's CPU & GPU specs it could handle 720p video playback, not at an extremely high bit-rate, but it does have the power to do it...if it wasnt locked to a max of 420p

Gamii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
feidhlim1986 said:
Gamii said:
feidhlim1986 said:

I'm not saying Mplayer can do it. As it has been said here, the Wii GPU is locked to 420p. I'm was saying that if you took the Wii's CPU & GPU specs it could handle 720p video playback, not at an extremely high bit-rate, but it does have the power to do it...if it wasnt locked to a max of 420p

Hardware or software locked?

Ok, but all this technical speculation is driving me nuts. Sorry, I think people needs to be more careful about technical topics than actually.

thatcoolguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the GPU's framebuffer is only big enough for 480p screens so anything larger is just flat out impossible, there's no secret locking happening. besides even if the GPU actually had the resources to accomodate 720p it'll chug really bad outside of 480p lol. cool thing about emulators for 3D consoles is that they don't suffer from the console's limited resolution

edit:
QUOTE said:
720p will remain a mystery. To address the question, yes Nintendo could unlock the higher resolution with a firmware update.

no. the hardware needed for 720p does not exist. you will never see it happen. not necessarily because perofrmance will suck iwth 720p but because it's not even capable of it.

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MrBubbles said:
Wii is locked at 420p.

They won't ever unlock it, God knows why.

The Ps2 & Xbox had a handful of true 1080i/p games. Surely the Gamecube "2" is strong enough to do even 1080i.

there was like only 2 1080i ps2 games, gt4 and some trophey game, and also the same only a few on the original xbox, none of which looked any good at all, the wii is actually almost a lower spec the the original xbox 1 , you will never see 720p on the wii

MrBubbles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last generation consoles had very few 1080p native games (Gran Turismo 4 comes to mind). Even the Playstation 2, THE WEAKEST last generation console could do it.

The Wii's guts surpass last generation consoles and you're telling me it's clocked at 420p?

You're going to have to provide sources. All I brought up was the possibility that Nintendo locked 720p for whatever reason, I can't provide proof it's there but neither can you claim it's impossible or that it's clocked at 420p without a source.

The Teej

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Ok, just to clarify - it's 480p, not 420p
tongue.gif

Carry on!

EDIT: Actually, I wanna know if what I said is feasible or not:

The Teej said:
720p would probably be possible on a Wii if they just included an upscaler in the Wii, like ANA/HANA in the 360, right (obviously, software support would be needed too)? Or isn't it just that simple?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/E1U7Nlt.mp4 +1