Gaming Buying a DSi XL soon

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys,

This October I plan on buying an XL in one of the newly released colors (in Europe). Which firmware will be installed on the console and if the old 1.3 firmware is present, would I be able to upgrade through wi-fi to 1.4 instead of 1.4.1x? Or does upgrading mean that I can only pick the latest upgrade?

The reason I ask is that I'm the owner of firmware 1.4-only compatible flash cards. Obviously, I don't wanna render my flash cards worthless.

D

Deleted_171835

To be honest, you shouldn't buy the DSi XL.
The 3DS will be coming out soon. You might as well get the 3DS, instead. I think you already have a DS Lite so continue playing on that until the 3DS comes out (Q3/Q4 2010 or Q1 2011)

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
To be honest, you shouldn't buy the DSi XL.
The 3DS will be coming out soon. You might as well get the 3DS, instead. I think you already have a DS Lite so continue playing on that until the 3DS comes out (Q3/Q4 2010 or Q1 2011)
Yep, it's better to wait for the 3DS since the DSi XL isn't worth getting worth NOW
IIRC, it can play normal DS games.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bebo1120 said:
dont buy it it will be a waste of money i suggest you save that money for the 3ds since its coming out soon

alot of people keep saying this, and I wonder why?

who knows how long or if there will ever be a flash cart for the 3ds

I mean you buy a 3ds play through the 5-10 good games at launch and than what? sit and wait for a new release?
I think if you want a dsi than get it.
for example if my ds lite stop working and I have this flash cart full of games that I want to play, do I wait until the DS comes out next year and hope that it's hack soon
or buy a used dsi now and enjoys the games until the 3ds is released

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The DSi XL is Ninty's way of milking the cow that is the DS. However, it's been dead for a few months now.

@RoMee
He already has a DS Lite. The DSi XL is a bit redundant. Only reasin I got a DSi was because by DS Lite is practically broken.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fishaman P said:
The DSi XL is Ninty's way of milking the cow that is the DS. However, it's been dead for a few months now.

@RoMee
He already has a DS Lite. The DSi XL is a bit redundant. Only reasin I got a DSi was because by DS Lite is practically broken.

this isn't just about his question, it's about everyone who ask this same questions and doesn't have a ds lite backup

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm, I'm not sure. I love collecting video games and - to a lesser extent - consoles perhaps more than actually playing all of them. I got hundreds of games still wrapped in their factory seal for the PS2, PS3, NGC and DS, some of them for years already.

For my handhelds I got 4 GBA SPs (incl. 3 SP2s) and 2 DS Lites (and 1 PSP-3000
laugh.gif
). Hence quite a few opportunities to quench my portable gaming thirst. Still, there's something about the XL, certainly now that the green, blue and yellow versions are released in Europe this October. I'm sure I won't adopt the 3DS early anyway. Gonna wait for a flash card first, because I'm planning on pirating the **** out of it.
tongue.gif

Silent Storm

Trophies
XP
Country
People coming into a DSi purchasing thread and providing useless advice.
rolleyes.gif

"Oh buy a 3DS instead"
"Oh the DSi XL is waste of money get a 3DS"

It's quite clear the guy wants a fucking DSi XL, not a 3DS. If he was undeciding on whether to get a brand new DS or wait for the 3DS, then it would have been mention in the first post. So what people are saying is that instead of buying a system that works with flashcards, he should instead wait for a system, that will most defiantly render all existing flashcards useless? Wow, either stay on topic or don't waste his time with these kind of posts.

Anyways, to answer the TC's question, most likely the new DSi will have 1.4.1 firmware, which by now has been bypassed by all major flashcards such as the acekard and supercard dstwo. You should be fine if you have either of these flashcards (other flashcards should also bypass the new firmware, but I don't remember the ones that did other than Acekard and DSTwo.

FlashX007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I sold my DSi and got 155 bucks I am chipping in 5 bucks to make it 160 to get the Midnight Blue DSi XL. I am going to buy this because the DSi has bad controls and it is uncomfortable. Besides that I wish to enjoy movies and GBA games better. Also SNES thanks to DSTWO.
smile.gif
Anyways I believe it is everybody's own opinion to buy one or not. For me it is only a 5 dollar difference and once 3DS comes out I will just trade my PSP and DSi XL to get one off somebody. Seems simple to me. I would rather be reassured now rather than wait on top of the release of the 3DS because of it's piracy and how flashcarts could work on it or not. In my opinion Nintendo will put all its money on the 3DS to be completely flashcart proof so I am going to be smart. Also there would need to be a new stock of DSi/XLs in order to have 1.4.1 so if the store had Midnight Blue DSi XLs for a month for example and none of it was sold then they have 1.4 firmware. No point in getting a new stock of consoles when you can't sell your first stock.

Edit: Unless they open the package and install it then wrap it back up again which I doubt.

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
trumpet-205 said:
What kind of flashcart do you have? You maybe able to upgrade it before using it on 1.4.1.

I got 1 R4-SDHC, 2 R4i-SDHC, 1 AK2i and 1 SC DS2.

But I doubt that the new XL release come with the 1.4.1 firmware. After all, being released so soon, they were probably already manufactured before the update was released.

bloodred

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SaddQ said:
trumpet-205 said:
What kind of flashcart do you have? You maybe able to upgrade it before using it on 1.4.1.

I got 1 R4-SDHC, 2 R4i-SDHC, 1 AK2i and 1 SC DS2.

But I doubt that the new XL release come with the 1.4.1 firmware. After all, being released so soon, they were probably already manufactured before the update was released.

it will come as 1.4 10/10 chance
because it has the Facebook App right

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
bloodred said:

I don't know about Facebook, and I don't care either cos I don't use FB anyway.
I care about the DS library and the XL's bigger screen. The 3DS will take some time for a price drop and a good flash card, so I'll settle for the DS for now.

bloodred

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SaddQ said:
bloodred said:

I don't know about Facebook, and I don't care either cos I don't use FB anyway.
I care about the DS library and the XL's bigger screen. The 3DS will take some time for a price drop and a good flash card, so I'll settle for the DS for now.

The Facebook app that lets you upload photos from your DSi to your Facebook account
It could have been manufactured in March 2010 thus makes it 1.4E but the new colors how long ago did it come out
was it made before Sep.8 if so it will have 1.4.1 lol

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
SaddQ said:
Hmm, I'm not sure. I love collecting video games and - to a lesser extent - consoles perhaps more than actually playing all of them. I got hundreds of games still wrapped in their factory seal for the PS2, PS3, NGC and DS, some of them for years already.

For my handhelds I got 4 GBA SPs (incl. 3 SP2s) and 2 DS Lites (and 1 PSP-3000
laugh.gif
). Hence quite a few opportunities to quench my portable gaming thirst. Still, there's something about the XL, certainly now that the green, blue and yellow versions are released in Europe this October. I'm sure I won't adopt the 3DS early anyway. Gonna wait for a flash card first, because I'm planning on pirating the **** out of it.
tongue.gif
If you leave them in their package and wait awhile, they will sell great on the internet!
And by now game stores would have 1.4.1
Anyway i suggest waiting for the 3DS unless you have alot of money.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
Youre telling him to wait for the 3DS? You're a crappy advisors. (end of rant)

Anyway, to the OP:

What are the new colors of the DSi XL? Blue? Care to link them for me?

The latest colors from tje USA, Midnight Blue, has 1.4 in it. I updated it to 1.4.1 when I bought it last Sep. 21. So chances are the new stocks might come with 1.4.1 but if you got an old stock, HOORAY!!!

Buy an XL right now for collector's item

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol