Would like to buy a New *DS normal or XL, some questions about the features of each of them.

ital

Trophies
XP
Nothing subjective about diagonals not working. Either they do or don't and in the case of the DSi, they don't. SF2, Radiant Historia and Zelda Minish Cap highlight its boxy movement that prefers the primaries quite easily.

If you don't play a game that needs them you won't spot it as the primary directions are very responsive but the way the dpad is designed sits low in the case and needs lots of pressure to hit them.

2143470-dpadbuttons01.jpg

Compared to:

nintendo-ds-lite-8-full.jpg

And you'll see the cause of the issue. n3DS is similar to DSi but its a lot more responsive as it sits higher but badly positioned on the small model as its right at the end of the case:

hffrp9ncxvbqcvdkdt2n.jpg

I tried modding one of mine with various techniques and none of them were really 100% responsive. Shame as I really liked the matte case, form factor and screen size of the DSi as it perfected the DSL in many respects but was a step back as well with that oversight.

Side note: The Dpad on the GB Micro might be one of the best Nintendo ever made. SF2 combos just flew off it with ease that surpassed even the SNES controller:

img5bfae81192c0e_l.jpg

Pure perfection.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
the dpad is designed sits low in the case and needs lots of pressure to hit them.

About the pressure, this should be highlighted ! 100% agree.

Side note: The Dpad on the GB Micro might be one of the best Nintendo ever made. SF2 combos just flew off it with ease that surpassed even the SNES controller:

This GB micro Dpad is sooo precise and soft at the same time, I love it too.

Reactions: ital

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Nothing subjective about diagonals not working. Either they do or don't and in the case of the DSi, they don't. SF2, Radiant Historia and Zelda Minish Cap highlight its boxy movement that prefers the primaries quite easily.

If you don't play a game that needs them you won't spot it as the primary directions are very responsive but the way the dpad is designed sits low in the case and needs lots of pressure to hit them.

2143470-dpadbuttons01.jpg

Compared to:

nintendo-ds-lite-8-full.jpg

And you'll see the cause of the issue. n3DS is similar to DSi but its a lot more responsive as it sits higher but badly positioned on the small model as its right at the end of the case:

hffrp9ncxvbqcvdkdt2n.jpg

I tried modding one of mine with various techniques and none of them were really 100% responsive. Shame as I really liked the matte case, form factor and screen size of the DSi as it perfected the DSL in many respects but was a step back as well with that oversight.

img5bfae81192c0e_l.jpg

Pure perfection.
Honestly I've never noticed a problem with the diagonals on my DSi and I've played a lot of the GBA Zelda games and such on it. I guess diagonals are probably its weakest point, but I'd still pick a DSi over a 3DS any day for games made for a D-Pad since I just find the 3DS incredibly uncomfortable with how low it is, being below the Circle Pad.

Comparing Zelda ALTTP (GBA) on my DSi and DS Lite I will definitely say on the DS Lite is slightly easier to walk in a diagonal, but I find it much less comfortable as the higher D-Pad digs into my finger more and I still have no issue walking in a diagonal on DSi. I struggle to see how this is "objectively" better, it's a subjective preference.

ital

Trophies
XP
It is what it is. Some people are just more sensitive and notice things whilst others don't so whatever works for you.

Stuff like SF2 however really highlights it so easily when shifting between a GB Micro, DSL and DSi as each one becomes notably worse in terms of responsiveness. If you compare how much effort it takes to register a diagonal on all three and how accurate it is on mapping button input you'll see why the DSi is so far behind as you needed to press it twice as hard and it only caught it half the time! :lol:

Will be interesting to see how the OP compares his DSL to DSi when he gets it in this respect as thats what the discussion is all about. For me it ruined an otherwise amazing handheld and it irritatingly couldn't be fixed by modding it.

Its the same with 8bitdo pads. People rave about them but they have even worse diagonal response than the DSi and those that notice it find it blatant whilst those that don't claim they're as good as OEM.

Then again, some people can believe its not butter.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@ital , are these photos taken from the internet or did you take them yourself? If it's the latter, what a nice collection you have, all well kept and the GBA Micro (will you give it to me as a present? :wink:) is particularly interesting and attractive: instead you can throw those 3DS in the loo, without any hesitation and any regret, and you would free up useful space in your home....😣 😂 🤣

ital

Trophies
XP
Just pics from the net to illustrate. I wasn't keen on the n3DS either initially but came round to its awesomeness and gave away my DSL/DSi as it does everything beautifully well and is the ultimate N handheld.

If anyone hasn't installed Twilight Menu yet they should because the sharp filter option on NDS games is night and day compared to what N used initially and makes them look so much better. Not to mention the convenience factor/usability as mentioned. You've got literally every single Nintendo handheld, NES, SNES and loads of other 16 bit platforms emulated perfectly and looking great on the display.

The only thing that beats it is the Wii U in that respect.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over