Would like to buy a New *DS normal or XL, some questions about the features of each of them.

loook

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Currently have a modded DSLite, it's good but got really outdated by now.
I would like to buy a model of the "New" DS series, but don't really know which one, because not everything seemed to be a straight upgrade compared to the other versions:
  • 3DS/2DS: except for some niche cases, to fool around with 3D, the New 2DS/XL would be ok, but I heard, that the 2DS (at least the XL) has a glossy screen, that is also blurry? overall I really prefer matte screens, but how bad it is compared to the 3DS? also is it only on both the normal and the XL 2DS?
  • battery life: does the 3DS drain the battery more if the 3D is off? I know that for example the DSI XL has better battery life than the simple DSI, but what is the situation in this case?
  • are there any subtle differences between the 4 models, that are not so obvious at first, but can be annoying in the long run? like flimsy buttons, string/weak hinges (I read, that the New series feel more sturdier hinge-wise?)
Thanks

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
All DSi have dual IPS screens which is yay!

DSi XL/3DSXL have lower PPI which looks blocky and crap compared to regular models. Boo!

Some n3DS/n3DSXL have dual IPS screens which makes games look a zillion times better (esp for DS mode) but cost a fortune if you find one in the wild. Boo!

Build quality on all of them is awesome as they will last forever. Yay!

Standby on 3DS is amazing, usage about 5 hours. Booyay!

There are two types of hinges on 3DS, one clicks the other doesn't. This means one has wobble. Boo!

Dpad on most DSis I've tried were terrible on diagnols as it sits too low in the device. Boo!

n3DS regular has the best form factor and changeable faceplates. Yay yay!

Buy an n3DS then mod it very easily and install Twilight. I don't like the 2D models, they feel cheap and 3D was a big part of the draw for the machine.

Reactions: CrashMidnick

loook

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks.
it's in progress for me to buy a DSi as I can buy a pretty good one really cheap.

I have read the IPS/TN screen discrepancy on the n3DS*. is there any way to find it out in a subtle way on ebay when I ask for close-up screenshots from the seller to see if it's IPS or TN screen?

About the hinges you mentioned: is that another subtle feature that cannot be tied to model number, that just inexplicably differs between versions or it's just different between the normal n3DS/XL? what about the n2DS*?

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
IPS 3DS - No, people who know, know and jack the price up. If there is one in the wild for cheap resellers tend to snap them up and then ZOMGBBQSAUCE1!111!!! the listing just to make sure you know you've got a chance to buy an IPS at a crazy markup. In the flesh you can tell easily, tilt it to the side and if the screen whites out its not an IPS.

Pics you can't really tell that well. Search local ads/offline sales and you might get lucky.

Hinges, just something I noticed but its not really major unless you're playing and breakdancing at the same time.

Every DSi I've had though has had a crappy dpad and that pretty much ruins the experience compared to the DSL. Diagnols are next to impossible to hit consistently. Apart from that its the best model for DS gaming as everything looks awesome on that screen with the form factor and the device feels premium.

Still would advise going for a n3DS though.

loook

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the info.

i'm buying a DSi anyway, coz they are dirt cheap even as new, compared to other consoles.
i might buy a normal DSi and an XL, but is there one that is strictly better than the other in that many aspects, that i should just go for that one?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All DSi have dual IPS screens
Nope, only DSi XL's have dual IPS, regular DSi's have TN screens.
DSi XL/3DSXL have lower PPI which looks blocky and crap compared to regular models
I don't agree with this, DSi XL's look much sharper, and with its big display it brings up colors much better.
DS games look much better on the DSi XL than they do on the 3DS, and i do have an N3DSXL with an upper IPS display, the difference is night & day, no comparison, also it has an insane battery life +8 hours minimum..
@loook I would suggest going for the DSi XL, if you're after playing DS games. Ultimately the choice is yours.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i might buy a normal DSi and an XL, but is there one that is strictly better than the other in that many aspects, that i should just go for that one?
Between the two, the image definition is better and the colors are brighter on the DSi, while on the DSi XL the graphics are rougher and more pixelated, but on the other hand some dialogues in RPGs (which have a microscopic font) can be read much more comfortably. And using emulators of 8bit consoles (NES, Master System, PC Engine etc.) I personally play them more willingly and with greater satisfaction on DSi XL, with that feeling of the old televisions of the good old days.:wink:

Reactions: zxr750j

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
To me they all have their pros and cons. And I 100% agree with @ital
Having all the (3)DS(i) models, the best is the N3DS (not XL) : best screen size, light, easy access to shoulder buttons, wonderfull homebrew device...

In the DS range only, it is more difficult :

DS-lite : GBA port + DSTWO, you will do pretty much everything a DSi can do (except full speed on some emulators but you will
have access to Quake II :))
DSi : No GBA port, D-pad is a pain, access to more full speed emulators.
DSi XL : IPS screen, no GBA port, poor D-PAD, heavy, bad access to shoulder buttons, access to more full speed emulators.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Yep, I was reluctant to upgrade as well as I'd heard that DS games looked like crap on it. But like most net hype that was totally overblown and Twilight Menu filter choices make the picture look awesome plus its got the ultimate form factor.

Was really surprised there wasn't complaints about how bad the DSi dpad was, it was absolutely atrocious and I bought a few to see if it was just use or design. Even modded one but it still wasn't perfect. Did like the DSL though, such a great looking, premium feeling device but 3DS FTW! The fact that it can emulate every N handheld upto that point and home consoles perfectly as well just makes it that much greater.

loook

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the D-pad is that bad both on DSi and DSiXL?

and yeah, I played quake 2 on my DSL, but can't the DSi play it also?

so far I'm 100% sure I'll get a DSiXL and then try to hunt down a n3DS non XL then.

thanks for the suggestions

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the D-pad is that bad both on DSi and DSiXL?
Absolutely not! It's all bullshit from people who want to brag about having a more modern console. I've had original DS and DSi, and I still have DS Lite and DSi XL and I've never had any problem with the Dpad. :wink:

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Try it for yourself when you get the DSi, its a lot worse than the DSL especially with diagonals due to how it sits in the shell. n3DS isn't Vita level perfection but its far better than DSi as its much more responsive except its positioning is a bit too low.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Absolutely not! It's all bullshit from people who want to brag about having a more modern console. I've had original DS and DSi, and I still have DS Lite and DSi XL and I've never had any problem with the Dpad. :wink:
Play Street Fighter II on a DS lite and a DSi, you will not have 100% success with special moves using the DSi. Diagonals are bad, it is a fact.

EDIT : @loook : no you cannot play Quake 2 on DSI, it requires a RAM expansion (slot-2 only).

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

loook

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Play Street Fighter II on a DS lite and a DSi, you will not have 100% success with special moves using the DSi. Diagonals are bad, it is a fact.

EDIT : @loook : no you cannot play Quake 2 on DSI, it requires a RAM expansion (slot-2 only).
I know it requires the 4MB expansion slot, but was expecting, that someone ported quake 2 to DSi native mode to utilize the x4 more RAM which is much faster than the +4MB ran trough the gba port.
theoretically it could run even faster in higher resolution.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Last edited by CrashMidnick,

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Play Street Fighter II on a DS lite and a DSi
Personally, I still play SF2 on DS Lite (slot2) through GBA flashcart, and the moves work 100%. On DSi I have never tried this game, so I suspend judgment. But of games that require the necessary and precise use of diagonals, I've never found any.:unsure:

wavemotion

Benign Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're planning on getting into any retro emulation, the DSi XL/LL is the way to go. The normal DSi has a very fast screen refresh and so the pixels do not linger for very long - this makes it difficult to see small bullets and such. On the DSi XL/LL the pixel "holds on" (not sure of the technical term) longer - providing an experience that is closer to old tube TVs that would hold onto the phosphor for a bit to make small objects bright and clear. For more modern games - I've not noticed any real difference except the XL/LL screens are bigger (and can look a bit more pixelated for some games - this never bothered me any).

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
The quality of the DSi's D-Pad and buttons is very subjective I guess, personally the DSi and DSi LL have one of my favorite D-Pad/buttons of any console, definitely the best of any DS imo.

The difference between the DSi and the DS Lite is that the DSi has clicky buttons (like the 3DS, Joy-Con, GBA SP, PS Vita, etc) where the DS Lite has squishy buttons (like most console controllers, other Game Boys, PSP, etc), it's really just down to personal preference which you like more.

Edit: Also looks like battery wasn't brought up much, DS Lite has the best battery of any DS, however the DSi and especially DSi LL are still really good, especially if you don't blast it on full brightness (which is very easy to change on DSi, SELECT + volume buttons). The 3DS is similar to DSi in DS mode, but a fair bit worse in 3DS mode. Nintendo doesn't say what brightness they're measuring at on 3DS there, but from personal experience I'd guess that's probably right in the middle.

Last edited by Pk11,

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The quality of the DSi's D-Pad and buttons is very subjective I guess, personally the DSi and DSi LL have one of my favorite D-Pad/buttons of any console, definitely the best of any DS imo.

The difference between the DSi and the DS Lite is that the DSi has clicky buttons (like the 3DS, Joy-Con, GBA SP, PS Vita, etc) where the DS Lite has squishy buttons (like most console controllers, other Game Boys, PSP, etc), it's really just down to personal preference which you like more.

To me, the most important thing for a Dpad is to work 100% of the time : DS-Fat (micro swithes)/DS-Lite (rubber) are working fine. Not DSi (doing Mario Kart speed boost, playing real time RPG's, fighting games or shmups is a pain). Maybe it's my fingers :)

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
To me, the most important thing for a Dpad is to work 100% of the time : DS-Fat (micro swithes)/DS-Lite (rubber) are working fine. Not DSi (doing Mario Kart speed boost, playing real time RPG's, fighting games or shmups is a pain). Maybe it's my fingers :)
Huh, find the DSi D-Pad much more comfortable/easy to use for snaking in MKDS and such. I guess yeah must depend on your fingers or such, that's why I say I like the DSi and not DSi is the best :P. If you can, probably best to give both types a try and see which you prefer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?