Hacking Bricking? USB-A to USB-C Cable

AshenWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So, I turned off my switch that was in Auto-RCM with reinx installed. Now it no longer boots because my dongle is faulty. I ordered another one but it will take weeks to arrive. In the meantime, I've decided to use my pc to inject the payload. However, I've read that using USB-A to USB-C cables can brick the switch? Can anyone confirm it? Thanks in advance

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's third party docks that can brick the Switch. A bad cable can draw too much amperage and possibly damage the Switch though. Make sure any cable you use is either the official Nintendo one or any that is USB-IF certified and has a 56k ohm resistor.

Last edited by Glyptofane,

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
how do you think everyone has been injecting payloads from their computer this whole time???

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I use a cheap no brand one from a discount store and have had no issues

Reactions: AshenWolf

AshenWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I guess using cables for data transfer is fine. The bricking problem is only present when used for charging?

how do you think everyone has been injecting payloads from their computer this whole time???

I use a cheap no brand one from a discount store and have had no issues
Do you use usb-c to usb-c or usb-a to usc-c?

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess using cables for data transfer is fine. The bricking problem is only present when used for charging?

Do you use usb-c to usb-c or usb-a to usc-c?
Maybe. All of the available information pertains only to charging. USB-C to USB-C is the safest option if available. Nintendo's official recommendation on USB-A to USB-C is to only use cables with the resistor.

makazula

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Actually, from personal experience, I'd say for you to go with a USB A - USB C cable.

None of my computers have USB A any more, so I have a lot of USB C - USB C cables around. Mostly good cable, including thunderbolt ones.

Gotta say that none of them worked to connect the switch to computer.

On the other hand, any of my USB A - USB C works, even the cheapest ones.

AshenWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Maybe. All of the available information pertains only to charging. USB-C to USB-C is the safest option if available. Nintendo's official recommendation on USB-A to USB-C is to only use cables with the resistor.

Actually, from personal experience, I'd say for you to go with a USB A - USB C cable.

None of my computers have USB A any more, so I have a lot of USB C - USB C cables around. Mostly good cable, including thunderbolt ones.

Gotta say that none of them worked to connect the switch to computer.

On the other hand, any of my USB A - USB C works, even the cheapest ones.

Based on your suggestions, I ordered this "Anker PowerLine USB C to USB A Cable (Type C) with 56k Ohm Pull-up Resistor".

makazula

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is an official cable from nintendo, it's the same that comes with the pro controller. However the cable the OP said he's going to buy is far from being the cheapest possible. Those Anker cables have good quality.

AshenWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Guys, I think my switch's battery also drained while in Auto-RCM. My cable will arrive in 2-4 days and I cant sent a payload until it arrives. I read that drained battery in Auto0RCM will no longer charge. Is this true?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F