Hacking Bricked Wii Confirmation

SlyBeast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greets, community. I'm creating this post to share the symptoms of my Wii to get feedback on whether or not it's full bricked. It seems obvious to me, but I'm not a pro by any means, so I wanted to reach out here first before picking out the tombstone.
smile.gif

I have (or had?) a soft-modded Wii and was attempting to install the correct IOS's to enable Punch-Out!! to work. I read elsewhere that I needed 33, 35, and 55 for it to work. I was only able to find the .wad for 55, so I pulled 33 and 35 off the .iso of Punch-Out!! itself and installed them. Having supposedly installed what was needed, I tried the game again and still got the famous error 002. I assumed at that point that I was missing another IOS that was needed, so I just pulled all of them out of the .iso (I'll say around 10 or so) and installed all of them. The wad loader locked up after installing a few, and I had to unplug my Wii to "free" it. When I plugged it back in and turned it on, I got no response from the TV. Not even a black screen - it's as if the power is off on the console altogether. From what I've been able to find, I believe I've succeeded in fully bricking my Wii and that it would take extreme measures (SaveMii, etc.) at this point to get it working again. I'm not asking for help unbricking, just your opinions on whether or not you think it's bricked. Thanks in advance.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Possibly you fully bricked it,

My guesses,
1. You were on 3.2 while all this were happening
2. You installed a stub system menu ios (was it IOS 30), ninty replaces old ios not used anymore due to system menu upgrade with a non fully functional ios...

These are my guesses, check the size of the IOS 30 from the game update partition... (if you installed that ios of course) if it's around 200-300K then my guess could be true...

Still you should test your chances in booting into the recovery menu

ps : to put it in an easily understandable way... check the impersonator logs for the 3.4 system menu update...
http://wii.marcansoft.com/wiimpersonator/r...1118-031038.log

you'll see, IOS 50 added to the system which 3.4 system menu was using, and IOS 30 replaced with a stub ios (it's size is 245760 bytes)

rAiN mAn 2o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why did you unplug it? just HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON FOR 8 SECONDS!...

also leave it unplugged for 20 minutes and then try to turn it on again.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
rAiN mAn 2o0o said:

It doesn't matter after you installed a stub IOS 30 into a 3.2 system...

ps: by the way IOS used by system menu has an unique feature that makes nintendo carelessly wipe them.... they are used only by system menu... so the installation procedure for these should always be
1. install new ios used by new system menu
2. install the new system menu
3. thrash the old ios since it's not used anymore.

this is the procedure you go through when doing an official update either online or using a disc which contains a new system menu version. (it's like this if new system menu revision requires a new ios with a higher number)

rAiN mAn 2o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
rAiN mAn 2o0o said:

wasn't suggesting you were wrong.. completely agree with ya!

I was just dumbfounded at somebody yanking the power cord out!!! LoL

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
rAiN mAn 2o0o said:
WiiCrazy said:
rAiN mAn 2o0o said:

wasn't suggesting you were wrong.. completely agree with ya!

I was just dumbfounded at somebody yanking the power cord out!!! LoL

Well actually if software on hardware freezes there is not much else to do than cutting the power and giving it a fresh new start...
Though it takes years of experience for one to differentiate between a freeze and a normal delay... If you do the "cut the power" stuff in a normal delay then what you are saying holds true... but a freezed application is essentially quite the same for a powered down system...

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ouch... Sounds like the highest form of fully bricked. Also, checkout savemii.org, and look at the brick types there. Might be able to gather something from there.

I would send it back to nintendo, as the NAND is probably fooked and there is probably little chance they will recognise you are a pirate.

SlyBeast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was actually using 3.3, not 3.2.

I'll try to address some questions, though some of this goes over my head due to lack of knowledge on the subject. Here's a screen grab of WiiScrubber with the .iso loaded and the IOS30 that I used highlighted. It's about 163K. I have no idea what a stub IOS is.

ios30.png

WiiCrazy, you mentioned a "recovery menu" - I haven't heard of this unless you're talking about the maintenance mode supposedly accessed by plugging a Gamecube controller into the 4th port and booting up the Wii with all 4 directions on the d-pad held down.

About turning the power off, since that seemed to really be entertaining... :-) I know that sounds rash but trust me, it was locked up for around half an hour and it wouldn't respond to the power button, no matter how long I held it in.

Someone suggested leaving it unplugged for a while and then turning it back on, which I did, and no dice.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
SlyBeast said:
I was actually using 3.3, not 3.2.

I'll try to address some questions, though some of this goes over my head due to lack of knowledge on the subject. Here's a screen grab of WiiScrubber with the .iso loaded and the IOS30 that I used highlighted. It's about 163K. I have no idea what a stub IOS is.

ios30.png

WiiCrazy, you mentioned a "recovery menu" - I haven't heard of this unless you're talking about the maintenance mode supposedly accessed by plugging a Gamecube controller into the 4th port and booting up the Wii with all 4 directions on the d-pad held down.

About turning the power off, since that seemed to really be entertaining... :-) I know that sounds rash but trust me, it was locked up for around half an hour and it wouldn't respond to the power button, no matter how long I held it in.

Someone suggested leaving it unplugged for a while and then turning it back on, which I did, and no dice.

see here, wiiblaster also wrote about it : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143...43085&st=30

the ios you installed is a stub ios... I don't know exactly if it does contain a disc module and thus if it can be used along with recovery menu... chances are slim but still try the recovery menu trick... if you can't use recovery menu at all then you are fully bricked, you need to send it to nintendo to fix

SlyBeast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, WiiCrazy, good read.

For the recovery menu, are you referring to the maintenance mode accessed by holding all four directions on a Gamecube d-pad upon boot up? Just want to make sure I'm clear on this.

Any experience in dealing with Nintendo on Wii repairs? Any idea from past experiences maybe on how much something like that would cost? I have a friend prepared to sell me his barely used Wii for a cool $200, and I'm close to taking him up on it.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
SlyBeast said:
Thanks, WiiCrazy, good read.

For the recovery menu, are you referring to the maintenance mode accessed by holding all four directions on a Gamecube d-pad upon boot up? Just want to make sure I'm clear on this.

Any experience in dealing with Nintendo on Wii repairs? Any idea from past experiences maybe on how much something like that would cost? I have a friend prepared to sell me his barely used Wii for a cool $200, and I'm close to taking him up on it.

Yes I'm talking about the gamecube controller trick. If you can boot into recovery mode that way you may update your wii using a game with 3.4 update. I'll test stub IOS 30 if it does indeed usable along with system menu. (using preloader to force system menu into it and using the recovery mode patch)

About Nintendo's repair facilities, I don't know much about it but here and there are various comments from people...

ps: let me download the IOS 30 you installed using Nusd... (hmm, can't install the downloaded one... I should get one off a disc)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, iirc she said she is non binary