Gaming Bravely Default is heading west

Gryphon93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As you've probably heard/read, Bravely Default is coming to both Europe and North America! To me that's amazing news. I've been waiting for this game to be localized ever since it was announced in Japan, and I know that I'm not alone.

Personally I think the game has wonderful graphics. Everything is "hand painted" and looks really nice. The battle mechanics are interesting, and I'm waiting to try them out for myself.

So, what are you looking forward to in this game? Please share your thoughts!

(If there's already a topic about this somewhere, feel free to close/delete this one. I searched the forums but didn't find one)

Reactions: Click This
D

Deleted_171835

I'm looking forward to the inevitable universal feelings of disappointment and after that I make a remark about SQUARE's creative bankruptcy.
Get your constant Square pessimism out of this thread. This actually looks good (and I loved FF5's job system which is expanded here). :<

Click This

Surgite!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad it is coming over, but the fact that Nintendo is localizing this makes Square sound like it's in more dire straights than I'd thought. Either that or they're just horrible people for not wanting to localize it themselves.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to the inevitable universal feelings of disappointment and after that I make a remark about SQUARE's creative bankruptcy.

Was there something overtly wrong with Four Heroes of Light?

Glad it is coming over, but the fact that Nintendo is localizing this makes Square sound like it's in more dire straights than I'd thought. Either that or they're just horrible people for not wanting to localize it themselves.

Nintendo has been publishing S-E's games in the West for years now, but they are still localized, almost across-the-board, by S-E in the sense that they do the translations and hand them off to Nintendo, and even if Nintendo was doing the translation, nothing will have really changed.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like Four Warriors of Light, Bravely Default looks like and sounds like an amazingly beautiful 3DS game.

Much like Four Warriors of Light however, I also hear it suffers from an over-traditional turn-based RPG battle system. And I'm not talking about that bogus inventory system, but the whole tride-and-true-FF1-type crap.

Any fan of Final Fantasy and Square RPGs ought to be too tired of them reusing the most basic of RPG game fundamentals by now. I'm exciting to see Square not giving up on the English market entirely, but I'd say the game would probably be worth $15-$20 at most for me.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Get your constant Square pessimism out of this thread. This actually looks good (and I loved FF5's job system which is expanded here). :<

Considering the best games with the SQUARE logo are the Eidos games, I think it is reasonable to be cynical about SQAURE's creative output.

Was there something overtly wrong with Four Heroes of Light?

It had a lovely art style but story was generic, I can understand it was meant to be a throwback but the old formula had long run stale. Gameplay was pretty dull as well. If you implement a turn based system, implementing some sort variant factors helps the battle system rise from dull to something more engaging. Radiant Historia had the grid system, Eternal Sonata used a turn based action system for example. Overall it wasn't a bad game per se, it just felt and played like an average title.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there