Bravely Default is heading west

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Gryphon93, Apr 17, 2013.

Apr 17, 2013
  1. Gryphon93
    OP

Member Gryphon93 GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    As you've probably heard/read, Bravely Default is coming to both Europe and North America! To me that's amazing news. I've been waiting for this game to be localized ever since it was announced in Japan, and I know that I'm not alone.

Personally I think the game has wonderful graphics. Everything is "hand painted" and looks really nice. The battle mechanics are interesting, and I'm waiting to try them out for myself.

So, what are you looking forward to in this game? Please share your thoughts!

(If there's already a topic about this somewhere, feel free to close/delete this one. I searched the forums but didn't find one)

Click This likes this.
  2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I'm looking forward to the inevitable universal feelings of disappointment and after that I make a remark about SQUARE's creative bankruptcy.

3. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm looking forward to it, myself. It sounds awesome and should be out over here in time for Christmas at the very latest.

4. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I'm going to have too many games to play :/ So little time....

avran89 likes this.
  5. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Get your constant Square pessimism out of this thread. This actually looks good (and I loved FF5's job system which is expanded here). :<

6. Click This

Member Click This Surgite!

United States
    Glad it is coming over, but the fact that Nintendo is localizing this makes Square sound like it's in more dire straights than I'd thought. Either that or they're just horrible people for not wanting to localize it themselves.

7. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Was there something overtly wrong with Four Heroes of Light?

Nintendo has been publishing S-E's games in the West for years now, but they are still localized, almost across-the-board, by S-E in the sense that they do the translations and hand them off to Nintendo, and even if Nintendo was doing the translation, nothing will have really changed.

8. Chocolina

Member Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Like Four Warriors of Light, Bravely Default looks like and sounds like an amazingly beautiful 3DS game.

Much like Four Warriors of Light however, I also hear it suffers from an over-traditional turn-based RPG battle system. And I'm not talking about that bogus inventory system, but the whole tride-and-true-FF1-type crap.

Any fan of Final Fantasy and Square RPGs ought to be too tired of them reusing the most basic of RPG game fundamentals by now. I'm exciting to see Square not giving up on the English market entirely, but I'd say the game would probably be worth $15-$20 at most for me.

9. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Considering the best games with the SQUARE logo are the Eidos games, I think it is reasonable to be cynical about SQAURE's creative output.

It had a lovely art style but story was generic, I can understand it was meant to be a throwback but the old formula had long run stale. Gameplay was pretty dull as well. If you implement a turn based system, implementing some sort variant factors helps the battle system rise from dull to something more engaging. Radiant Historia had the grid system, Eternal Sonata used a turn based action system for example. Overall it wasn't a bad game per se, it just felt and played like an average title.