Gaming Bought a Wii U on impulse

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a Facebook posting from a friend who was selling a boxed Mario Kart 8 Premium Wii U console for £100 so I thought, "eh, why not" and went to his house and bought it. Mario Kart 8 is a good and beautiful game and I went out the next day and bought Smash Bros Wii U as well.

But the stores weren't stocking a lot of Wii U games so I had a look on ebay for second hand and I'm kinda surprised that even the selection is almost bare. So far I've got Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 1&2, Wind Waker HD and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze as my future purchases... and that's it.

Maybe I'm comparing this to the 3DS's library which I had a lot more fun but apart from games by Nintendo, is there anything else I should be on the look out for?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good for you, it's a great little console for the Nintendo exclusives. :)

Unfortunately for you, the games you have now are pretty much the only ones worth having. Maybe throw in Smash Bros. and that's about it? Check out this thread for some pointers, if you ilke: http://gbatemp.net/threads/essentials-wii-u-games.338585/

Only thing I noticed that I can add to my collection is Wonderful 101 and possibly Captain Toad but like I said, compared to 3DS's library, it's such slim pickings. I would've bought some GBA games on the eshop but I already own most of the games in cart form so it seems pointless to double dip again.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Wonderful 101 is great if you can find it for cheap. Sort of a "rare" game now since it's so old. Not worth full retail though, but it's a solid game. Captain Toad is only good for 2 hours. It's fun, but repetitive and unimaginative.

3DS really gets the best games, I mean... another Fire Emblem already? 3DS definitely has one of the best game libraries ever and it just keeps growing. Expect nothing like that for Wii U. Your best shot is Zelda this year. Maybe Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
I am so jealous. You got MK8 + a wii u for 100??? WTF.

Anyway, I got a Wii U for christmas time and my collection is:

Wii Party U
Nintendo land
Zombii U
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
MK8
Super Smash Bros U
Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Wind Waker HD
New Super Smash Bros U
Pikmin 3

nice broad range of games. my casual online 1o1 game will always be super smash bros. if i have friends around, mk 8 hits the sweet spot. if i have male friends into games, smash bros is a blast. nintendo land and wii party U family members LOVE (some of the games are fun as hell).

recently completed WW HD and it was phenomenal beautiful experience for me.

Honestly the Wii U this point in time has an excellent exclusive library which shits on the PS4/XBOx one. the fact you got it for such a good price is really good.

my picks for this year will be:

Mario Party 10 (fun with the family)
Devils Third
Xenoblade X
Zelda
Starfox
Splatoon

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
If you want to play the best of Wii U then just get the exclusives and nothing else as the multiplatforms aren't really that great unless you're a collector and want to own most of them.

This is my Wii U collection:
Assassin's Creed III
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Batman: Arkham City (Armoured Edition)
Batman: Arkham Origins
Barbie: Dreamhouse Party
Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2
Darksiders II
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Fast & Furious: Showdown
FIFA 13
Funky Barn
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Marvel's Avengers: Battle for Earth
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
Monster High: 13 Wishes
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
NBA 2K13
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Luigi U
Nintendo Land
One Piece: Unlimited World Red
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 1
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
Phineas and Ferb: Quest for Cool Stuff
Pikmin 3
Rayman Legends
Sniper Elite V2
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed: Special Edition
Sonic: Lost World
Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros.
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
The Wonderful 101
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
Watch Dogs: Special Edition
ZombiU

Been trying to play AC3 (on sequence 7 of 12) to finish and move to WD but I've been watching Parks & Rec, other US shows and stuff.

Wonderful 101 is great if you can find it for cheap. Sort of a "rare" game now since it's so old. Not worth full retail though, but it's a solid game. Captain Toad is only good for 2 hours. It's fun, but repetitive and unimaginative.

3DS really gets the best games, I mean... another Fire Emblem already? 3DS definitely has one of the best game libraries ever and it just keeps growing. Expect nothing like that for Wii U. Your best shot is Zelda this year. Maybe Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Damn right. The 3DS gets the best Nintendo games while Wii U receives some OK ones.

3DS has a Luigi's Mansion game and all that the Wii U got was a fucking DLC game of Luigi for NSMBU? God dammit.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope the Wii U gets a fire emblem game...

I'm currently playing path of radiance and keep imaging just how good it would look on the wii U with intelligent system's new aesthetics they used for FEA.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I hope the Wii U gets a fire emblem game...
With nothing about SMTxFE from either Intelligent Systems or Atlus, and Nintendo just announcing a new upcoming FE for 3DS, I think the chance of FE ever coming to Wii U is very unlikely. If Intelligent Systems has been working hard on a new 3DS game, then who is working on SMTxFE at least (if it's still coming out in the first place)?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
SMTxFE is kind of a lost cause because it's looking to be nothing more than vaporware. This is all because Nintendo's pushing their best games specifically to the 3DS / New 3DS while the Wii U gets a few good ones.

I'd recommend for the OP to get Most Wanted as it's the best console version but the game's OoP and Project C.A.R.S (please include Nintendo franchise decals/skins for the cars, Bandai Namco so that there's something exclusive) coming so he can get that if he wants.

Still, the best console version for Project C.A.R.S will probably be PS4.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah its sad because SMTxFE would have been ridiculous probably... although fusing the two together would have been difficult.

I'd actually prefer an exclusive SMT/Persona game for Wii U and a separate Fire Emblem game for Wii U.

The only hope I'm clinging onto is someone from Nintendo I believe in November or October said publicly its still on course in terms of development? Every other sign points towards it indeed being vapourware.

D

Deleted User

Ew, Fire Emblem.

Captain Toad is pretty good imo if you like puzzle games. If I were you, I would go to our Wii U Hacking and Homebrew forum look into installing Nintendont. Playing GC games in HD with almost any controller is a wonderful experience (Mario Sunshine looks especially amazing if your TV has a good refresh rate).

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Get ZombiU, wicked game also Captain Toad and ZeldaWWHD also NewSMBU and that's about it for the moment on the WiiU.

I have and you should have:-

Nintendo Land - Fantastic Fun with friends and the misses, well worth the purchase if your going to use your WiiU with others :)

ZombiU - Bit annoying when you get killed with one bite but still a fantastic fun game and a must purchase.

NewSuperMarioBrosU - Have to purchase this, must be in your WiiU collection, standard :)

ZeldaWindWakerHD - Another must buy for the WiiU, such a massive game to explore, you can get lost in the game playing this for hrs. on end.

Super Mario 3D World - Must buy but if you liked Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and Sunshine don't expect this to have the same fun, I was very disappointed in the game but again it still is a must buy for your collection :)

Mario kart 8 - Have to get it, standard :)

Smash Bros - Must buy, not as fantastic as the hype was but of course still a great game!

Captain Toad - Must buy and also a great price to boot for a great game.

Resident Evil Revelations - If you luv Resi games you will luv this, I did so yes very enjoyable game I think :)

Sorry to say that's it for me at the moment until Zelda :(

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ew, Fire Emblem.

Captain Toad is pretty good imo if you like puzzle games. If I were you, I would go to our Wii U Hacking and Homebrew forum look into installing Nintendont. Playing GC games in HD with almost any controller is a wonderful experience (Mario Sunshine looks especially amazing if your TV has a good refresh rate).
What's a good refresh rate?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Captain Toad's worth a rental or at the very least £24-25 but anything higher it'll feel like a rip-off.

I got another copy of Captain Toad recently for £10 and now I kinda regret buying it for £25 but it was a game I wanted to try out early so that's what happens.

Alcarajo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the wii u has a great lineup of games. I already have:
Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart 8
Smash Bros
Mario 3d World
Donkey Kong
Hyrule Warriors
Zombie U
Nintendo Land
Wonderful 101
Wind Waker
New Mario Bros.

I still need to buy Lego City Undercover and captain toad. Also when they come out i want to play Zelda, Star fox, Splatoon, Kirby, Yoshi, Xenoblade Chronicles and im sure there are going to be some surprises. I am pretty happy with my wii u.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Only thing I noticed that I can add to my collection is Wonderful 101 and possibly Captain Toad but like I said, compared to 3DS's library, it's such slim pickings. I would've bought some GBA games on the eshop but I already own most of the games in cart form so it seems pointless to double dip again.
Maybe you have played these things already as they are multiplatform and somewhat old, but I also enjoy Mass Effect 3 and Batman Arkham City on the Wii U and they often sell new for 12€ or so here in Germany if you look well (I saw them at Saturn at such a low price).

Also, if you already have the Wii U, you can get Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) in the Wii U eShop today for €9.99, I will do it.

NL1kWbm.png

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe you have played these things already as they are multiplatform and somewhat old, but I also enjoy Mass Effect 3 and Batman Arkham City on the Wii U and they often sell new for 12€ or so here in Germany if you look well (I saw them at Saturn at such a low price).

Also, if you already have the Wii U, you can get Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) in the Wii U eShop today for €9.99, I will do it.

NL1kWbm.png

Thanks for reminding me.

can't see it on the e-shop

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: +1