Bottleneck for microSDHC cards on DS/3DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Knuffipuffi, Mar 13, 2011.

Mar 13, 2011
  1. Knuffipuffi
    OP

Newcomer Knuffipuffi Newbie

Germany
    Hi there,
    i was woundering if there is a bottleneck on the DS or the Flashcards and if there is one which is the limit ?
    I am asking this questin because i am going the buy a SDHC card but dont know which class to pick up (they differ in price the higher the class)
    and another questen i have is, if there is a bottleneck for the DS is there a known bottleneck for 3DS ?
    I was reading trough the stickies and couldnt find a answer too it so i hope its not important what kind of speed the microSDHC cards have.
    tanks in advance

greets

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica

3. Knuffipuffi
    OP

Newcomer Knuffipuffi Newbie

Germany
    Thanks for the wiki link but i do know already the different classes of microSDHC.
    Wasnt sure about the Flashcards though and the DS itself.
    Judging from your post: you dont know it either or saying i should get a micro above class 2.
    Thank you.

4. zhuzhuchina

Member zhuzhuchina GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    class 2 is very common, not soo fast
    class 4 is now avaible on bigger microsd , i got here 8gb class 4 as microsd
    but
    class 6 the fastest are very expensive so rare on the market. when shop don't say the class of the microsd usually is 2 . i still didn't see a class 6 microsd until now

5. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Class speed is minimum writing speed. It has nothing to do with reading speed.

For example, Sandisk Class 2 writes slow, but reading speed is much faster than a Kingston Class 4.

6. ProjectVirtue

Newcomer ProjectVirtue Advanced Member

Canada
    i have a 16 gb class 10 microSD from patriot. very fast.
    The thing to note about the bottleneck speed is that it is very hardware dependant. specificially the bios of the device you're running it on.

for example, the patriot i'm using right now has a 11 meg write speed when writing from the computer onto the micro SD through an adapter. But you do a write test with the HTC legend and you only get 2.4 write speed whereas the galaxy has a 4.7 write speed.

it depends on what the BIOS supports.
    as for the DS, i dont know what its limit is.

as for cost, my 16 gb patriot was only 40$. pretty cheap, very sturdy, very fast.
    hope this helps