Omegafenix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Greetings people
Does anyone know or have knowledge of any tutorial on how to make repros from an original Gba Ds or 3Ds game? A friend and I want to achieve it, not to sell it but as a goal, and to be able to make better use of games that are not relevant at all for others than if we wanted to.

I know in advance that there is a flashcard for Ds and a custom Firmware for 3Ds, but we would like to have physical game cartridges that we like, even if they are bootleg. For example a Pokemon in the native language of the country.
But as much as I have searched, everyone talks about how to recognize pirated copies, but no one about how to create them. I know tha the chinese know how to make it,but I suppose that no one should say how they are done

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Tutorial:
1. You read all the information in the github repository specified in the designated topic (and maybe all the information in the designated topic).
2. You order a bunch of suitable bootleg cartridges on aliexpress.
3. ...
4. You flashing your games to bootlegs.
5. Profit.

The project's github page has links to a lot of useful information.

If you pick bootlegs using all the information provided, then you won’t have to solder anything.

If you really want to solder random things, then you will have to figure it out yourself. All cartridges are different.

Update: Hint. There are sellers on aliexpress that offer a selection of games to burn on such cartridges. Some of them are even also accept custom roms from buyers for custom orders. So, by asking them the right questions, you can get pictures of the cartridge PCB from them and pick up what you need.

Last edited by r1vver,
Reactions: Omegafenix

Omegafenix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thanks for the information, but from what I see the program only applies to gba cartridges.

Is there one for DS cartridges?

I don't think that the repros that come out on Aliexpress are very difficult to make

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I don't remember seeing an open project regarding flashing (any) DS cartridges.

As I remember - the original DS cartridges have two chips inside (tho can be more) - small EEPROM for storing saves and MX-labelled Mask ROM for storing the game itself.
Since MROM is "Read Only Memory" then trying to reflash it is useless.
Theoretically, you can unsolder it, throw it away, buy a new empty one, somehow (!) flash it and solder it in place of the old one. But in practice this will not work. Of course, if you do not have your own factory for the production of MROM chips (photolithography process).
So, it turns out that MROM should be "changed" to something more DIY-reflasher friendly, like FLASH ROM or something. This is a job for an electronics engineer. Good luck smoking datasheets and weaving webs of wires between contacts and pads.

In case of repro DS cartridges you can try to experiment (at least). Most likely for game storage there will be some sort of EPROM inside. If you're lucky, its marking will not be erased. Theoretically, it will be possible to unsolder it, erase and reflash it in the programmer, solder it back. Good luck smoking datasheets. And there will also be a funny blob, he does something too.

Attachments

• aqKETbPy.jpg
    aqKETbPy.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 41
  • McRCxgqo.jpg
    McRCxgqo.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Tog5VjEN.jpg
    Tog5VjEN.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 77
  • qdBYFq8g.jpg
    qdBYFq8g.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by r1vver,
Reactions: Omegafenix

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a similar but different question.

I know there are repro DS game carts that you can buy and that these repro DS carts also work on the 3DS

Question I have, is this something to look out for when buying 3DS game cartridges only, is there a risk of people selling repro 3DS game carts or are repro 3DS carts not possible for the 3DS.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't remember seeing an open project regarding flashing (any) DS cartridges.

As I remember - the original DS cartridges have two chips inside (tho can be more) - small EEPROM for storing saves and MX-labelled Mask ROM for storing the game itself.
Since MROM is "Read Only Memory" then trying to reflash it is useless.
Theoretically, you can unsolder it, throw it away, buy a new empty one, somehow (!) flash it and solder it in place of the old one. But in practice this will not work. Of course, if you do not have your own factory for the production of MROM chips (photolithography process).
So, it turns out that MROM should be "changed" to something more DIY-reflasher friendly, like FLASH ROM or something. This is a job for an electronics engineer. Good luck smoking datasheets and weaving webs of wires between contacts and pads.

In case of repro DS cartridges you can try to experiment (at least). Most likely for game storage there will be some sort of EPROM inside. If you're lucky, its marking will not be erased. Theoretically, it will be possible to unsolder it, erase and reflash it in the programmer, solder it back. Good luck smoking datasheets. And there will also be a funny blob, he does something too.
Before even that, bootlegs used N-Card flashcarts that autobooted into the game.
20221111_004244-jpg.336723
20221111_004312-jpg.336724

• Wow
Reactions: zfreeman

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Question I have, is this something to look out for when buying 3DS game cartridges only, is there a risk of people selling repro 3DS game carts or are repro 3DS carts not possible for the 3DS.
I think that the technology is there (look at sky3ds and stargate 3ds) but from what I've heard they require a special key that is not public. Also, their hardware might be too expensive for a repro to be profitable but I'm not sure about that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: