Hacking Bootmii side effects

vt999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello, im fairly new to wii hacking and i did not install bootmii when i put on the homebrew channel. I installed 2 wads, and then i found out that a bad WAD can brick my wii, so i want to install bootmii. From reading, i understand that bootmii is best installed in boot2, but i also read somewhere (cant remember where) that bootmii will start up everytime i start my wii. I have younger siblings, and i dont want them to have access to such a powerful tool, how can i make my wii boot to the system menu instead of bootmii?

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not all wii's are able to have bootmii/boot2...nintendo 'fixed' that several years ago....

if you're one of the lucky ones...just rename your bootmii folder on the SD card to prevent launch of bootmii every time you power up.

Reactions: Hielkenator

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What Brausm08 said.
IF you are lucky enough to to have a Wii old enough to have a vulnerable boot2, Install Bootmii in boot2.

Chances are you have a newer Wii.

Bootmii in boot2 is the ultimate brick protection.
Nice to have if you like to tinker a lot wiht your Wii, but not needed at all or mandatory.

vt999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What Brausm08 said.
IF you are lucky enough to to have a Wii old enough to have a vulnerable boot2, Install Bootmii in boot2.

Chances are you have a newer Wii.

Bootmii in boot2 is the ultimate brick protection.
Nice to have if you like to tinker a lot wiht your Wii, but not needed at all or mandatory.

so i downloaded hackmii, as i deleted the letterbomb files from my SD, and copied boot.elf to the root of my SD, but on the homebrew channel, it does not show up, when i hit launch bootmii form the homebrew menu, my wii disk slot just flashes, and i have to hard reboot. I got my wii around the time mario kart came out.

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can place the hackmii installer boot.elf file into a folder directory on the SDcard like this: root:/apps/[anyfoldername]/boot.elf and launch it via the homebrew channel like you do any other app.

EDIT: you know, it's funny. i just answered this question a few days ago....on second look, i realize it was you who asked the question... why did you abandon your original thread? ...annoying.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Install to boot2only if the hackmii installer has an option for it. Also make sure you're using the latest hackmii installer and not any older ones. And yes like the people above said you can just rename the bootmii folder or just delete it. (Redownload it with modmii if you ever need it or just rename it)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system