Hacking bootmii does not open on boot

MrBananaMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: apparently messing with the autoboot fixed it and the menu now displays fine, no idea how it worked but my problem is solved

yes, I am using boot2 version of bootmii

i went through the install of hbc+bootmii and when i used the installer to open bootmii so i could backup my nand it worked fine. however, when i boot my wii with the sd card in it just goes to a black screen instead of bootmii, and i have to take out my sd card so the wii goes to the sysmenu and doesn't try to open bootmii. bootmii works fine when opening from the homebrew channel, however. anyone know how i can get my wii to launch bootmii during the boot process?

Last edited by MrBananaMan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It could be an issue with the SD files version. for example, if you set your "autoboot" in the bootmii config to "HBC".
Be sure to run the "prepare SD card" menu from the same hackmii installer you used to install HBC.
If you use old bootmii files on your SD card with a new HBC version (or vice versa), the TitleID for HBC will be different than what bootmii knows and will not find it.

Check your config file in bootmii folder too, you can change the timeout and the title loaded at bootmii exit. if you set the timeout to 0 it will autoboot and you won't see bootmii menu at all.

InvoxiPlayGames

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.invoxiplaygames.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What video mode is your TV set to and your Wii outputting to? It may help if you use A/V cables set to 480i 60Hz and make sure your TV supports it. Also may need to change your BootMii config file to a different value (as i said, 480i 60Hz)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Does it work if you edit the bootmii config file and set the delay to 0?
for example, set to autoboot (delay=0) to HBC.
If HBC works, then you know bootmii actually works as it exited and redirected to HBC successfully.
if you set a value, does it "blackscreen" until the delay expires or freeze indefinitely ?

in the bootmii config file there's also a video setting, be sure it matches your current setup.
try another SD card maybe. Be sure it's FAT32.

MrBananaMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it work if you edit the bootmii config file and set the delay to 0?
for example, set to autoboot (delay=0) to HBC.
If HBC works, then you know bootmii actually works as it exited and redirected to HBC successfully.
if you set a value, does it "blackscreen" until the delay expires or freeze indefinitely ?

in the bootmii config file there's also a video setting, be sure it matches your current setup.
try another SD card maybe. Be sure it's FAT32.
I'm on FAT32, and setting delay to 0 and autoboot to hbc opens the hbc fine, setting the value to 5 makes the bootmii menu actually appear with 5 dots below hbc until it opens. now trying again with autoboot off makes the bootmii menu appear again. I have no idea how messing with the autoboot fixed it, but my problem is solved.

Reactions: Cyan

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@Cyan if i click prepare sd card does it reformat my sd card?
No it will not format the card, it will just update and overwrite the bootmii folder (I. E. If u have a custom bootmii folder prepared to launch sneek, it will get overwritten by the official bootmii files)

McVinz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@XFlak i have problem launching bootmii. It gives me black screen.
So i need to redo it? I have hackmii app. I can only install bootmi as ios. So first i need to click prepare sd then install bootmi as ios?

Update: i have done the prepare sd card but still black screen when loading bootmi

Last edited by McVinz,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you need both, in whatever order you want.
install IOS will just install the bootmii launcher into slot 254
prepare SD will just copy the actual bootmii program on your SD card

now when you select "launch bootmii" from HBC home menu, it'll launch IOS254, which will loads sd:/bootmii/ content.
if you don't have bootmii as IOS, it'll not work.

McVinz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I have two problem @Cyan thank you for helping me.

So do you suggest re download the hackmii installer then redo the process again on installing bootmii?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"