Hacking bootmii boot2v4

bert02

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
currently i have bootmii boot2v2 and read if i want to update i have to have boot2v4 how do i do that i have downloaded the latest version from there site uninstalled then reinstalled it and still have boot2v2

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
bert02 said:
currently i have bootmii boot2v2 and read if i want to update i have to have boot2v4 how do i do that i have downloaded the latest version from there site uninstalled then reinstalled it and still have boot2v2

You get boot2v4 from nintendo, just do an online update. Then re-install bootmii

Salax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smf said:
bert02 said:

You get boot2v4 from nintendo, just do an online update. Then re-install bootmii
Just be aware that there is a 1 in 1000 chance that you'll get a brick with the update.
HAVE FUN!
gbasp.gif

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can also borrow someone's copy of NSMB and update from it. It has 4.1+boot2v4 on it.

Bootmii does not require boot2v4 to work, nor does any system update, including 4.2.

bert02

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i tried with nus but get an error ret 1017 when trying to install the wad
im on version 3.2 if i updated to 4.0,4.1,4.2 wont i lose the ability to install bootmii as boot2 then...?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Salax said:
Just be aware that there is a 1 in 1000 chance that you'll get a brick with the update.
HAVE FUN!
gbasp.gif

Did you know that 60% of statistics are made up on the spot?

At the time the "1 in 1000 chance" was mentioned there was no data available for the Wii update.
So it could just as easily be 1 in 100,000,000 or 1 in 10 (but 1 in 1000 sounds scary enough but kinda plausible)

There are more people that have bricked by themselves making mistakes than boot2v4 failing to update.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bert02 said:
i tried with nus but get an error ret 1017 when trying to install the wad
im on version 3.2 if i updated to 4.0,4.1,4.2 wont i lose the ability to install bootmii as boot2 then...?
You can't install the wad because boot2 uses different code to be installed.

Second, boot1 is what determines if you can install BootMii, not boot2. boot1 cannot be updated by anyone. Ever. In the universe.

bert02

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ah ok sweet thanks for that will try updating to 4.2 then
if i use a 4.2 safe updater does that install boot2v4 then?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The safe updater is just the 4.2 IOSes and menu. It skips the cIOS stubs and boot2v4. That's why it's "safe". No brick risk and no anti-homebrew stubs.

Just to note:

There is absolutely NO reason to install boot2v4. The only thing you get is a risk of bricking during install. If you just want the update messages to go away on your games, install startpatch or preloader and enable the skip disc updates hack.

If you really want v4 for some unknown reason, the safest way to get it is to just update your wii. There is no safer way to get it, and even that still comes with a brick risk...

bert02

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ah ok cheers if i updated normally tho that would install the stub ios??
i already have priiloader so will just update with safe patcher
would anyone know if versions that come out with 3.4 firmware be able to install bootmii as boot2

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Just boot up the bootmii installer, then the hackmii-installer software will tell you if its possible or not. Easiest to find out that way.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
techboy said:
The safe updater is just the 4.2 IOSes and menu. It skips the cIOS stubs and boot2v4. That's why it's "safe". No brick risk and no anti-homebrew stubs.

Just to note:

There is absolutely NO reason to install boot2v4. The only thing you get is a risk of bricking during install. If you just want the update messages to go away on your games, install startpatch or preloader and enable the skip disc updates hack.

If you really want v4 for some unknown reason, the safest way to get it is to just update your wii. There is no safer way to get it, and even that still comes with a brick risk...

And other people have the opinion that there is no reason not to install it. On the other hand, people running the 4.0 and 4.1 safe installers now will more than likely brick their wii.

syndrom3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everybody! I've updated my Wii using NSMB so now i'm with FW4.1 and boot2v4 (bootmii installed)
Now i want to update to offcial FW4.2, since I already have boot2v4 it will be overwritten again loosing bootmii?
My wii is modded only with D2PRO so i don't want to install any cIOS.

Thanks in advice!

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
syndrom3 said:
Hi everybody! I've updated my Wii using NSMB so now i'm with FW4.1 and boot2v4 (bootmii installed)
Now i want to update to offcial FW4.2, since I already have boot2v4 it will be overwritten again loosing bootmii?
My wii is modded only with D2PRO so i don't want to install any cIOS.

Thanks in advice!
Why do you want to update to 4.2??

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
okay since where talking bout boot2v4 and i think the OP already got his/her answer, might as well ask this question which been on my mind a long time ago.

if i take out the nand chip of a perma brick wii which has boot2v4 and place it on a wii that can install bootmii and flash it with infectus or any other method. will i now be able to install bootmii now?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Hey