Hacking bootmii boot2 and low level brick.

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hello !!

Well i'm not so noob in wii softmoding , and i try to give some help on a french wii forum.

but , sorry for this really stupid question....

Another member of this forum has told me yesterday that if you don't have bootmii boot2 AND HBC installed , it won't let you recover from a low level brick
He told me that when you restore a nand backup , bootmii doesn't restore the syteme menu of the backup , but stays on the current systeme menu.
And you must run HBC to launch whatever you want to restore the sys menu (ciosdowngrader or wadmanager to install ios ecc ecc...)

I found this stupid , but now i'm confused.
wacko.gif

wasn't it a problem with the beta1 of bootmii , and fixed in beta2 ?

so , is it true ?

I need it to be clarified , so i can continue to help other people without spreading wrong advices....

Thanx in advance .

jabmaster2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Benjay said:
Hello !!

Well i'm not so noob in wii softmoding , and i try to give some help on a french wii forum.

but , sorry for this really stupid question....

Another member of this forum has told me yesterday that if you don't have bootmii boot2 AND HBC installed , it won't let you recover from a low level brick
He told me that when you restore a nand backup , bootmii doesn't restore the syteme menu of the backup , but stays on the current systeme menu.
And you must run HBC to launch whatever you want to restore the sys menu (ciosdowngrader or wadmanager to install ios ecc ecc...)

I found this stupid , but now i'm confused.
wacko.gif

wasn't it a problem with the beta1 of bootmii , and fixed in beta2 ?

so , is it true ?

I need it to be clarified , so i can continue to help other people without spreading wrong advices....

Thanx in advance .

sorry read the wrong yes bootmii not as boot2 doesnt give you full brick protection. Just as an ios dosent really do much at all. any yes with a low level brick you would have to restoe system menu and ios to fix it with wad manager usually. again sorry red theat aorng first time i just woke up. If you can get ot bootmii as ios and do a restore however of your nand it will restore you system menu and all no need for other programs

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
A bootmii nand backup is a full backup of the entire system. So it will restore the system to exactly the way it was when you made the backup. That includes the system menu version.

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A NAND backup/restore will restore everything in NAND (System Menu included), the only thing it won't affect is Boot2 and perhaps the pre-menu space where Preloader lives.

Boot2 BootMii is nigh-infallible. If you have BootMii IOS you will also need the HBC and Preloader or something similar to get to the NAND restore menu (note that Preloader launching isn't as failproof as BootMii if you have low-level bricks).

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Ok , thx all for your answers.

@jabmaster : well , i've not been very clear with my question.
the guy told me that even if you have bootmii as boot2 , if HBC is not installed , restoring nand will have no effect....

But Kedest and Szalkow gave me the answer i wanted to hear ^^
i was right , this stupid guy was wrong....

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
A NAND backup/restore will restore everything in NAND (System Menu included), the only thing it won't affect is Boot2 and perhaps the pre-menu space where Preloader lives.

Boot2 BootMii is nigh-infallible. If you have BootMii IOS you will also need the HBC and Preloader or something similar to get to the NAND restore menu (note that Preloader launching isn't as failproof as BootMii if you have low-level bricks).
No it will affect Preloader. Preloader is part of the System Menu when you have it installed.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
With bootmii as boot2, you should be able to restore without HBC. As an IOS, HBC is needed (to launch bootmii.)

With boot2, you should even be able to restore without a NAND dump or HBC using cboot2 to install wads. (friend had to do that after he literally uninstalled cIOSCORP, then realized he had a 0 byte NAND backup...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again