Blogs notifications

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Sicklyboy, Oct 12, 2012.

Oct 12, 2012

Blogs notifications by Sicklyboy at 5:54 AM (499 Views / 1 Likes) 12 replies

1. Sicklyboy
    OP

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Is there any way to add/enable an option such as currently exists for the open forum, where at the users opt-in, he/she automatically receives notifications on replies and likes to posts that they have made/blogs they have created?

Unless I am missing something, I don't believe there is currently any notification system for the blogs at all, which makes me a little sad, because on the occasion I make one, I often miss replies to it by a few weeks because I forget about the blog.

Edit - Oh god, how have I never seen that option before. Reporting for lock.

Edit 2 - I need to look more carefully. Blog notifications exist, but an auto-follow option does not.

Edit 3 - Also, did the background for the News Feed on the front page change for Dark Theme users, or am I just going crazy?

1 person likes this.
  2. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    You can follow blog posts, but it doesn't seem to give any notification, like topic following does.

1 person likes this.
  3. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Yeah i dont seem to get notifications of comments, quotes, or likes form the blogs.

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I thought it was just me.

Also in general I just want the old Blogs layout back, where it was basically a separate sub-forum than a totally separate feature. I just liked it more.

4 people like this.
  5. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    They do feel a little too separate now.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sicklyboy
    OP

United States
    I agree with guild. If not that though, I think the next best compromise would be having the same set of notification features we have for the forum.

7. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Also yeah, the background for the front page news changed for the Dark Theme. They're darker now, it seems.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I will have to echo that- I will occasionally wander into forums and sections to make sure I did not miss something (titles people- make it a good one) but 99% or more of my GBAtemping is "View New Content" of which blogs are no longer a part of, this means I neglect it as hard as I do the Ask! section. A pity as there are some interesting blogs and people do use it as a crude CMS for interesting things.

Again I am not the site coder (something for people that like GBAtemp to keep working to be ever thankful for) but I am not quite sure how that would reconcile with the private blogs thing.

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I always go to the front page here and I keep the tab on the right-hand side on ASK!, so I rarely miss ASK! stuff, but yeah blogs are too separate, and they're kinda' unwieldly too.

10. Sicklyboy
    OP

United States
    Didn't even know we still had Ask...

11. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    I dunno man. While I think the Ask section is a really good idea, I hardy visit it anymore, because it feels so cold and isolated, far away from the "warm" community. Also it has a very bad SEO. I never got Google results of Ask, not even once.

I always thought the old blog layout was something that defined gbatemp, a special thing exclusively for gbatemp. Afterall it was custom coded I think. Since the blog is a IPS software I'm pretty sure you can enable notifications for it if you code it yourself. I've found this topic from this march, but apparently it was ignored by the IPS management: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/358353-suggestion-notifications-on-blog-comments/

12. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Ask is basically dead. You're better off making a thread, using the search function or reading the stickies.

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    One of my main concerns with ASK! is that the concept lends itself to troubleshooting (people want to ask about problems there), but the post format restricts help. No easy multi-quote, encouraging only one link, etc... it's harder to provide the in-depth answers and links and images and such that are often required when troubleshooting problems.