2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
For anybody who switched off their wi-fi in fear of getting the update prompt for 9.3.0, if you have admin control of your wifi router just block nintendo's update servers according to the "Balanced Urls" in this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/blocking-update-servers-clarification-needed.367645/ (Note: This will block the EShop too!)

snip

You can see under the "Domain Name" I put all of Nintendo's update servers and set it so all incoming or outgoing connections to those domains are dropped all day every day for just my 3DS and JAP N3DS LL. I have it set so both my 3DS' will always get assigned the IP 192.168.0.220 and 192.168.0.221 and those IP's are set to block the domain names listed. So far both my 3DS and JAP N3DS LL have been connected to the wifi both on and in sleep mode for about 2 hours now and I've got no updates and I can still enjoy internet features like Nintendo Video/YouTube and such :)

Block them before they block you!

I have a wiiU, so not sure if I want to do this :(

I just deleted the internet settings, and shut off wifi. My Bravely default demo was half way done, but guess I'm just going to have to pirate the game from the beginning ;)

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a pile of s**t router provided by my DSL carrier. So of coarse it doesn't have any features to allow this kind of filtering nor does it support any known custom firmwares.

So....Is there a software solution to this? I can instead only allow my 3DS to connect to my PC's wifi adapter. (I use Ethernet to connect to the main router, so the Wifi adapter is just sitting there not being used). It supports being placed in Access point mode as well as using virtual access point.

I used it previously to MAC spoof so that I can fool the 3DS into thinking it's a Nintendo Zone so I could get a streetpassed Eon Ticket into my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire game. So I have been able to have internet access going through my pc and to the 3DS. It's now just a matter of using a middle man program to block certain things.

So I don't see something like blocking update servers being too far a stretch to just have my PC do for me. The question is what software do I look for that can do something like this or is there an existing windows feature or settings in Internet Connection sharing that can facilitate this?

There should be some software solution out there. Try adding these update server URL's into your computers hosts file and direct them to 127.0.0.1. Make sure this works by connecting another device that's not a 3DS to the PC's wifi hotspot and try going to nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net in the web browser. If it gives you a 404, that means it's still establishing a connection to those servers and it won't block the 3DS updates

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
There should be some software solution out there. Try adding these update server URL's into your computers hosts file and direct them to 127.0.0.1. Make sure this works by connecting another device that's not a 3DS to the PC's wifi hotspot and try going to nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net in the web browser. If it gives you a 404, that means it's still establishing a connection to those servers and it won't block the 3DS updates

I can't visit those sites with a browser. They don't have any kind of html or proper resources for a browser to access, so I already get 404s when I try to visit them in a browser.

I can instead ping them to see if they return the 127.0.0.1 IP. But of coarse I don't have a secondary device to test for this. :(

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States

I have done some basic searching on if the hosts file impacts clients connecting via ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) as this is what my wifi adapter uses to share the internet to devices connecting to it. I found that the hosts file only impacts the local dns client (my main PC) but not the devices connecting to the internet via ICS through my wifi adapter.

What I've seen is that I need to create my own DNS server and direct my device (the 3DS in this case) to that instead....

jumphil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a pile of s**t router provided by my DSL carrier. So of coarse it doesn't have any features to allow this kind of filtering nor does it support any known custom firmwares.

So....Is there a software solution to this? I can instead only allow my 3DS to connect to my PC's wifi adapter. (I use Ethernet to connect to the main router, so the Wifi adapter is just sitting there not being used). It supports being placed in Access point mode as well as using virtual access point.

I used it previously to MAC spoof so that I can fool the 3DS into thinking it's a Nintendo Zone so I could get a streetpassed Eon Ticket into my Pokemon Alpha Sapphire game. So I have been able to have internet access going through my pc and to the 3DS. It's now just a matter of using a middle man program to block certain things.

So I don't see something like blocking update servers being too far a stretch to just have my PC do for me. The question is what software do I look for that can do something like this or is there an existing windows feature or settings in Internet Connection sharing that can facilitate this?
What bobtheglob101 said should work.

The hosts file is located under C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts. Just edit that with a text editor and add lines like this
Code:
127.0.0.1 nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
127.0.0.1 nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
and so on. Then save and reboot.

Reactions: Sirius64

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't visit those sites with a browser. They don't have any kind of html or proper resources for a browser to access, so I already get 404s when I try to visit them in a browser.

I can instead ping them to see if they return the 127.0.0.1 IP. But of coarse I don't have a secondary device to test for this. :(

You could do that, but nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net does indeed return a "The requested URL / was not found on this server." meaning it actually connected to the server and the server tried looking for the content but couldn't find anything. Guess this is a bit easier explaining to other people who don't know how to use ping. You could try host blocking blindly if you have no secondary devices. I know that my Mac will follow the host block even with other devices connecting to it as a hotspot. I'm not sure if Windows will do the same though so I won't be responsible if the update somehow sneaks its way onto your 3DS :P

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
After blocking these URLs in DD-WRT, I can still ping them just fine from cmd. Not sure what additional steps I need to take here, besides deleting my 2DS's internet settings, which isn't exactly ideal. Maybe just editing the last letter off the SSID would be enough.

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After blocking these URLs in DD-WRT, I can still ping them just fine from cmd. Not sure what additional steps I need to take here, besides deleting my 2DS's internet settings, which isn't exactly ideal. Maybe just editing the last letter off the SSID would be enough.

Some routers like to filter only HTTP connections but not pings. Try visiting nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net in your browser and if it doesn't return exactly this
ez3Mff3.png
then that means the router blocked it and the 3DS shouldn't be able to update (in my case, visiting nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net though the browser when my router blocks it will end up timing out)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Mine
Some routers like to filter only HTTP connections but not pings. Try visiting nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net in your browser and if it doesn't return exactly this
ez3Mff3.png
then that means the router blocked it and the 3DS shouldn't be able to update (in my case, visiting nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net though the browser when my router blocks it will end up timing out)
showed that same exact 404, but I don't want to risk the update nag popping up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: That counts as a software update :tpi: