Hacking Blocking 9.3.0-21 with your Wi-Fi router

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine
showed that same exact 404, but I don't want to risk the update nag popping up.

Yeah that means it didn't block it :( I don't have my dd-wrt anymore so I wouldn't know the appropriate settings on how to correctly block the server, try finding other settings similar to those access restrictions. I recall dd-wrt had iptables?

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Anyone has the IPs of those domains? I can resolve all of them except the nintendo.net ones

The rest are:

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone has the IPs of those domains? I can resolve all of them except the nintendo.net ones

The rest are:

If you're trying to IP block the server I would advise against doing that D: Nintendo servers are like DHCP clients with ever changing IP's and what not. Domain blocking is the best way to do this

Reactions: Margen67

Kylecito

eats warnings for breakfast
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
If you're trying to IP block the server I would advise against doing that D: Nintendo servers are like DHCP clients with ever changing IP's and what not. Domain blocking is the best way to do this

Ah well shit. My router doesn't allow hostname blocking.

Still, I tried with mask 255.255.255.0 and nothing ever fucking works, it still tries to connect to eShop and prompts update :(
http://puu.sh/dn7lF/f4fe054271.png

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
What bobtheglob101 said should work.

The hosts file is located under C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts. Just edit that with a text editor and add lines like this
Code:
127.0.0.1 nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
127.0.0.1 nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
and so on. Then save and reboot.

Actually found a seperate hosts file just for ICS. It was "hosts.ics" So I've added the changes there as well. I get a 404 message when I connect when I tested a phone on my router, but when connected to my ICS enabled access point I get a connection refused error. (the phone had Chrome). Looks like it's working me thinks?

jumphil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Actually found a seperate hosts file just for ICS. It was "hosts.ics" So I've added the changes there as well. I get a 404 message when I connect when I tested a phone on my router, but when connected to my ICS enabled access point I get a connection refused error. (the phone had Chrome). Looks like it's working me thinks?
The hosts file only applies to your computer, not your router. So you need to connect to your computer as access point for that to take effect. Connection refused sounds like it works yes.

Reactions: Margen67

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As long are absolutely certain all the domain entires are in that hosts file directing to 127.0.0.1 everything should be safe for your 3DS connecting to that hotspot :)

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well it appears to have not worked. At least I don't think so. eShop still opens correctly and displays the update message. I hit power button to kill it of coarse. So confirmed that host file redirects DO NOT WORK with Internect Connection Sharing. Looks like I would have to setup a DNS server or something. Not something that is worth the trouble for something like this. I'm the only one that uses the 3DS, so if it decides to show a update prompt every now and then, I can live with that. :P

I'll just keep wifi on the 3DS turned off until I actually need to use it. Like when I'm playing Pokemon online or something. :P

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So I have these settings in my neighbor's modem, but still able to ping, and 2DS eShop still tells me there's an update needed.
I already blocked the same set of URLs in my router, so I have no idea why they are getting through TWO sets of blocked URLs:

Untitled-1.jpg

Reactions: cvskid

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it appears to have not worked. At least I don't think so. eShop still opens correctly and displays the update message. I hit power button to kill it of coarse. So confirmed that host file redirects DO NOT WORK with Internect Connection Sharing. Looks like I would have to setup a DNS server or something. Not something that is worth the trouble for something like this. I'm the only one that uses the 3DS, so if it decides to show a update prompt every now and then, I can live with that. :P

I'll just keep wifi on the 3DS turned off until I actually need to use it. Like when I'm playing Pokemon online or something. :P

I wouldn't think a DNS block would help either considering host block didn't work. You'll probably need something that'll stop actual packets and data going though those domains but if you can live without online that works too

bobtheglob101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have these settings in my neighbor's modem, but still able to ping, and 2DS eShop still tells me there's an update needed.
I already blocked the same set of URLs in my router, so I have no idea why they are getting through TWO sets of blocked URLs:

View attachment 12655

Are you still connecting your 2DS through your router that's repeating that one? If so you'll need to list your router as one of the clients that need the blocking since the router that's repeating the signal is connected your neighbors router as a client.. unless that block applies to everything

Will this also prevent my Wii U from updating?

I wouldn't know since I don't have a WiiU but according to the original thread I got the URL's from it might work on the WiiU

Reactions: Margen67 and Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Are you still connecting your 2DS through your router that's repeating that one? If so you'll need to list your router as one of the clients that need the blocking since the router that's repeating the signal is connected your neighbors router as a client.. unless that block applies to everything

My router is the only "No" under the list of "Trusted Computers", as seen here:

Untitled-1.jpg

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.. what about the dd-wrt router? Is your 2DS listed under there in the "PCs" menu in the access policy?

I don't see anything like that in DD-WRT, but then again, I'm running the micro build. It may not have all features of the standard generic.

Scratch that^
I found it, adding the 2DS to the client list now. Will test and post results.

No luck... My 2DS still sees an update available. I'll just cripple the SSID by one letter to stop it going online.

Reactions: bobtheglob101

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night