Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well if you want to get all philosophical. Video games are just a trick of visual stimulation coupled with hand eye cordination. Movies are just a trick of still images shown in quick procession. Music is just a trick of repetitive frequencies. Love is just a trick of dopamine and serotonin. So there is no point to anything and everything is a fad, one just out lasting the other. So why don't we all go kill ourselves?

Go carve a poem in your diary and stop pissin on my interrests emo kid
Stereoscopic 3D is still the dumbest of these tricks.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also had the idea of 3D for games on using multiple layers memory layout (sprites and BG) back when I was working on a GB emulator. The compatibility issue could be easy to solve for some games: I started devising a tool users could use to specify depth on different memory objects drawn. Rules would vary from games to levels and would be enclosed in a script.

Reactions: Azel

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Given that Staplebutter might be taking a bit of a break and we already know the developers are more interested in more practical stuff like enhancement chip compatibility, I'm not sure why the debate about superfluous stuff like 3D has gone on for so many pages.

Reactions: Pa0l0ne

vingt-2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see what's wrong with discussing potential and amusing features. Although i havent read the through the multiple pages you describe.

wheezyNoiZe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Given that Staplebutter might be taking a bit of a break and we already know the developers are more interested in more practical stuff like enhancement chip compatibility, I'm not sure why the debate about superfluous stuff like 3D has gone on for so many pages.

100% agree. Anyway, my question to anyone out there with knowledge of enhancement chips, which one would be the most practical or easiest to emulate and which would be a pain in the ass? Would give an indication of the possible and less probable games to be emulated.

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also had the idea of 3D for games on using multiple layers memory layout (sprites and BG) back when I was working on a GB emulator. The compatibility issue could be easy to solve for some games: I started devising a tool users could use to specify depth on different memory objects drawn. Rules would vary from games to levels and would be enclosed in a script.
Well why don't you add 3d to blargsnes? StapleButter said he was open to git pull requests.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The priority list atm imo:

1. Compatibility for games without Special chips.
2. Implementation of special chips
3. Overall performance = mostly speed and glitches
4. GUI. For example the ability to turn the 2nd screen black. Screen saver mode.

3 is far more important than 2 in my opinion. Same for 4, which is also far more important than 2 in my opinion. Games with special chips are a minority and aren't really the best SNES games for most of them.

Reactions: weatMod

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
3 is far more important than 2 in my opinion. Same for 4, which is also far more important than 2 in my opinion. Games with special chips are a minority and aren't really the best SNES games for most of them.

I'm Ok with your priorities. As long as we discuss these four instead if 3d :)

Reactions: Idaho

haxz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great work so far, the sound is impressive but the emulation needs work. If there is anything I can do to help with the project feel free to inbox me for my info. I don't have any experience with the 3ds, but I have 14 years of software & database programming experience in mostly c++ and java. -HaX

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France

I think that's a great idea, thought about this too, users could release scripts for it too.
but wouldn't it be easier for say a nes emu, first, though?

I mean compatibility is important but that's features like that that would make me want to play 8-16bits games on that POS 3DS screen, it's cool to be able to play on 3DS but I own a phone, a pc, psp, 360, PS3, wii etc, snes emulation is good there, I could play regular snes games on snes too, but extra and unique features is where it's at, at lease to me.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I think that's a great idea, thought about this too, users could release scripts for it too.
but wouldn't it be easier for say a nes emu, first, though?

I mean compatibility is important but that's features like that that would make me want to play 8-16bits games on that POS 3DS screen, it's cool to be able to play on 3DS but I own a phone, a pc, psp, 360, PS3, wii etc, snes emulation is good there, I could play regular snes games on snes too, but extra and unique features is where it's at, at lease to me.

Objection! Please don't compare handhelds to stationery consoles. They are not the same thing at all. And when did one person on earth enjoy emulators on a phone? Please tell me, I'm curious :) The psp is your closest suggestion. Personally I have had snes on my psp for 10 years. At the beginning I was really fascinated of the performance. But the horrible d-pad and disaster buttons and ghostening screen got me more and more dissatisfied and irritated on snes emulation on the psp. I even prefer to only be able to play five games near perfect on the NDS to psp snes emulation. Therefore I don't think the snes has been done properly and to my satisfaction so far. This is the closest emulator, even though it needs some more work.

Reactions: piratesephiroth

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Objection! Please don't compare handhelds to stationery consoles. They are not the same thing at all. And when did one person on earth enjoy emulators on a phone? Please tell me, I'm curious :) The psp is your closest suggestion. Personally I have had snes on my psp for 10 years. At the beginning I was really fascinated of the performance. But the horrible d-pad and disaster buttons and ghostening screen got me more and more dissatisfied and irritated on snes emulation on the psp. I even prefer to only be able to play five games near perfect on the NDS to psp snes emulation. Therefore I don't think the snes has been done properly and to my satisfaction so far. This is the closest emulator, even though it needs some more work.
What would be awesome is porting blarg sound core to snes9xtyl mecm mod r26...

Seriously their sound output is horrible :(

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I also play with 3D off, I bought it as a NDS 2, but I understand people who likes the 3D. I also bought a N3DS XL (MM one) and it wasn't for the new 3D at all personally, just because my first one is pretty old, the c-stick and the fact some games might be exclusive (and also the fact it was bigger, as my actual 3DS is not a XL one).

But it would be pretty useless to try to support 3D yet when the emulator still don't run most games flawlessly. It's rather something that have to be done once the emulator would be much more compatible.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't see what's wrong with discussing potential and amusing features. Although i havent read the through the multiple pages you describe.
Well, the last few pages have been like this.

1) People ask for 3D support.
2) The devs explain in detail why 3D support would be very difficult to add due to layers working differently in every game, and how it would be a lot of work and a huge undertaking.
3) People ignore everything the developers have said and continue to ask for 3D support.
4) Repeat infinity.

Yeah, 3D support would be good. But unless somebody is prepared to step up to the plate and undertake the massive task, I'd suggest that requests should be more realistic.

Reactions: SLiV3R

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, the last few pages have been like this.

1) People ask for 3D support.
2) The devs explain in detail why 3D support would be very difficult to add due to layers working differently in every game, and how it would be a lot of work and a huge undertaking.
3) People ignore everything the developers have said and continue to ask for 3D support.
4) Repeat infinity.

Yeah, 3D support would be good. But unless somebody is prepared to step up to the plate and undertake the massive task, I'd suggest that requests should be more realistic.
have we been in the same thread? I think the likelyhood of 3d has been argued quite a bit, but the end result has been accepting the decision of the developers. It was asked once. I think random dudes have discussed the limitations more then the devolpers have, which was a one time post of "I'm not interrested". Then repeat how often someone say 3d is pointless, then the 'no its not' x infinity. That's why these flame wars get so big and drawn out. You mother fuckers don't read and argue in circles.

With that I'm getting off the ferris wheel.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm willing to bet money that most of you talking about how stupid 3d is would be all "Err Mah Gurd, Staple, That's so awesome, I wanna suck yo dick off!" If he ever did release 3d support.

Why else did you get a 3ds? Was it the oh so open and expansive homebrew scene, or the watered down re-release of every nintendo remake ever made? The awesome less then standard Def display, or maybe the small tendinitis inducing controls?

I agree that support and performance is the most important, but when he says he's getting bored and wants to work on something else, I wanna see 3d before he goes. And so do you, don't lie.

I even hate giving legitimacy to discussion by giving it more posts than it already has but mostly play with the 3D off. Not saying that it'd be a bad feature but given the current state of compatibility and UI we're nowhere close to the point where 3D is worth the time yet. If you disagree then by all means go ahead and add it yourself as this is an open source project but I'm starting to get annoyed with people clogging this thread with complaints about how other's people's free work is not on the exact priority schedule that they want it to be on.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I even hate giving legitimacy to discussion by giving it more posts than it already has but mostly play with the 3D off. Not saying that it'd be a bad feature but given the current state of compatibility and UI we're nowhere close to the point where 3D is worth the time yet. If you disagree then by all means go ahead and add it yourself as this is an open source project but I'm starting to get annoyed with people clogging this thread with complaints about how other's people's free work is not on the exact priority schedule that they want it to be on.
Goddamnit
I'm not the one making prioritized check lists of what needs to implemented in someone elses project as so many others in the past two pages have. I ask one dude one question and I get 10 random guys jumping my shit before he can even post.

I'm done with this conversation and will pm questions from now on. Everything else has been arguing with random jerkoffs that have nothing to with anything, and in retrospect has been a colossal waste of my time as no one has any ground or realise that their arguing nothing. I'm seriously not responding to any quotes here on out, as their always taken out of context and argued from the limited reading of whoever responds to it.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Heh. This guy needs a chill pill. I ask a legitimate question and he goes on a rampage.

Anyway, as many have pointed out, let's move on to other topics.

Reactions: SLiV3R

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Please enjoy your eargasm :)
Tales of Phantasia, forest of treant SPC2ROM rom file :P
Can't wait for this game to work on blargsnes, I surely will enjoy test sound menu on my 3ds :D

Attachments

• top-215.zip
    39.5 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: Azel and logg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol