Homebrew blargSnes -- SNES emulator for the 3DS (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleRod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
At least for me, DKC2 works in blargSnes 1.3 in my 3DS CFW. If you get BlackScreen you have to open it again. Sometimes i have to do this like 3 or 4 times.
Game is full playable, background music is a bit slow, but sounds great.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't made my list for newcomers personally, just to help Stapplebutter personally (to let him have a list of non-booting/crashing games).

I tend to always have doubt about "fully playable" in compatibility list, as most people who test games often don't play the game from start to end and that's normal.

But that's just my point of view, anyway ;)

Reactions: logg and VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't made my list for newcomers personally, just to help Stapplebutter personally (to let him have a list of non-booting/crashing games).

I tend to always have doubt about "fully playable" in compatibility list, as most people who test games often don't play the game from start to end and that's normal.

But that's just my point of view, anyway ;)

Fair enough. I had a general user in mind, so they could know which games works and ahich don't. If I ever had something interesting for a game I would post it here anyway :P

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the emulator is still in early state and you'll have to clear the page and redo one for each version, which isn't really good in my opinion

That's true for any compatibility list though. I like the wiki better because it's not stuck on artificial 8.5"x11" pages, and is easier to edit.

Reactions: VinsCool

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's why I didn't made a compatibility list, just a quick draft to make report to developpers, because I think (hope) at least that one day, BlargSnes will run most of the games flawlessy, and so won't need a compatibility list.

When I find compatibility list for "old" emulators, I tend to think the emulator isn't very good because if it was, it wouldn't really require one (like Higan for example don't really require one, you know 99% of the game will work).

But that's cool to do one for newcomers, I have nothing against that ;) (except the fact that a wiki is easier to edit, I hate editing wiki pages xD).

loco365

Trophies
XP
I decided to add a few games to the list I saw weren't there. As more games come along that I play, I'll add them.

Edit: Added:
- Family Feud (U)
- Final Fantasy III (U)
- SNES Burn-In Test Cartridge (U)
- Super Mario All-Stars (U) [Not the SMAS + SMW version!]
- Sutte Hakkun*
- Undake 30 Same Game Daisakusen - Mario Version*

* These are rather fun Japanese puzzle games. I recommend them if you want a good challenge.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
make a black list,not a white list.Just show the games can't be runned.
Will be easier to find issues

A little late for that, no sense undoing the work already put into the wiki lol. Nintendont has a list of games that work and don't work, why shouldn't this? Compatibility lists shows what games do and don't work, so really, blacklisting only tells half the story.

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dragon Quest VI has black borders at all sides. Not sure if that's an issue caused by BlargSNES, though. Need to test it on different emulators.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Gonna look over the DSPmixer code to see if I can make it more accurate. Right now, it processes 16 samples per finalized set of DSP writes rather than 1 sample for each smaller finalized set. That could be where some inconsistencies with the output are, as well as why pitch modulation (not enabled in 1.3) was sounding off or craps out. Processing it one sample per DSP write set may require a little more processing power, but as it is, the 3DS's 2nd core still has plenty to work with (and the original code was made for the DS).

John Player

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Gonna look over the DSPmixer code to see if I can make it more accurate. Right now, it processes 16 samples per finalized set of DSP writes rather than 1 sample for each smaller finalized set. That could be where some inconsistencies with the output are, as well as why pitch modulation (not enabled in 1.3) was sounding off or craps out. Processing it one sample per DSP write set may require a little more processing power, but as it is, the 3DS's 2nd core still has plenty to work with (and the original code was made for the DS).

Regarding processing power, do you think it´s possible to achieve full speed in all games with both two processors working at full capacity?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Regarding processing power, do you think it´s possible to achieve full speed in all games with both two processors working at full capacity?

I couldn't tell you.

Technically, there is a 2nd CPU (the one being used now is a dual-core) - the ARM9. We're seeing work being done with just that through the internet browser exploit. I have no idea if that is accessible via Ninjhax or other means where we can use both the ARM11 and the ARM9, but if we can, that could be used for the enhancement chips (or if the 2nd core's 30% is actually more powerful than the entire ARM9, we could move the audio processing to that?).

Reactions: SLiV3R

loco365

Trophies
XP

Would you be able to look at it for Undake 30 Same Game Daisakusen - Mario Version? The Game Over audio seems to not play properly for whatever reason.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Would you be able to look at it for Undake 30 Same Game Daisakusen - Mario Version? The Game Over audio seems to not play properly for whatever reason.

I won't be looking at specific game-to-game scenarios (at least not atm), as the problem may not be in the sections I'm going over. That problem there could be what's being sent to the DSP rather than how the DSP processes what's sent to it. It may even be regarding something not implemented yet, which again, is not what I'll be looking over. If working on this does fix various issues in certain games like what you described, then good.

And before someone asks about it, no, this is not related to the SPC timing issue that prevents numerous games from running.

trickyhero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hiya noob here, is it possible to do savestates with this emulator? I haven't seen anything in a menu or anything. Also do I have to do anything special for regular saves? Thanks guys, loving the emulator and stuff :lol:

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No, it doesn't support savestates right now. What do you mean by anything special for regular saves? Just save your game as you would on an SNES and it'll write the file to your SD card.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think any new features are planned for 1.4.

What actually prevent lot of games to run is the spc (sound) timing problem so I'm not the developpers but I assume it's the main priority (along with keep polishing sound quality).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-