Hacking Black picture when manual video width, but sound and game is there (Nintendont for GC injects WiiU)

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Left everything on default except the wide screen options and memcard emulation.the Fist time i only enabled the Wii u widescreen and i my screen was wide but only 20 cm high,enabeling both fixed it for me.
I will try, thanks!

the inject is just a "vWii mode and load iso from external" (here external is just your NAND or WiiU HDD)
on Wii, it'll be the same : wii mode and load iso from external (being the SD or USB), but you'll have the ability to see if the game has the same issue, and it'll be faster to change the settings and relaunch the game.

the only difference is that the Wii will not have the "WiiU widescreen" option. it's always outputing in 720*480, whether you choose 4:3 or 16:9 in your console's settings.
so, I don't know if it'll be a problem for what you want to achieve on your wiiu gamepad.

I'd say, you should set the wii like this if you want 4:3 :
- set the console video output to 4:3
- set the TV display to 4:3 instead of full screen.
now you'll get the black bars on the side, like on your wiiu gamepad when using "force 4:3"

But metroid prime is compatible with widescreen tv natively, that would be too bad to force 4:3, no?
set tv display to widescreen or full.
set nintendont to not "force widescreen" (that's NOT what you think it is)
launch the game, go to the game's settings, and set widescreen mode, it'll automatically fix the oval instead of circle by skewing/stretching the video buffer to match the tv wide display.

Force widescreen is a hack to force games to display a bigger area than supposed to. it is NOT a way to play games in widescreen.
for example, Paper mario would display "out of display" area, and you'll get clipping effect with objects appearing on the side of the screen because you are not supposed to see that part of the game, it's supposed to be "offscreen" to preload elements to be seen when scrolling.

it effectively has the effect of correctling "ovals" by displaying more pixel on screen than supposed to, and therefore make widescreen tv dislay look correct aspect ratio without the need to change TV to output 4:3.
that's only a hack, not a real widescreen option. Gamecube was released when widecreen TV wasn't very popular, and most games are only developped for 4:3 !
if you want a real widescreen option, it's inside the game option itself that you have to check. fzero, metroid or starfox have that options.

force widescreen is a way to see "outside of the display area" if the display is 4:3 you see 16:9 buffer.
if you use "force widescreen" on metroid, which is already compatible with widescreen display tv with a 16:9 display area, you might try to patch the output video to display MORE pictures than the game has to offer. there's nothing outside 16:9 buffer area ! that's probably why you get green artifact ! trying to display non existent content.

and that's probably why it only affect metroid : it's a game which is natively supporting 16:9
you might have the same issue with starfox or fzero.
fzero doesn't really crash, but you get the U.I. out of sync with the cursor/background picture.
Wait....metroid prime, or in my care prime 2, does not support 16:9, not on gamecube. On wii (the trilogy) it does...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I was almost sure metroid had that option on gamecube.
Maybe I'm mixing it with the PAL60hz option.
you might be right, my original game boxes doesn't display any widescreen logo.

well, there goes all my explanation, ahah

Last edited by Cyan,

hemi426

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I will try, thanks!

Wait....metroid prime, or in my care prime 2, does not support 16:9, not on gamecube. On wii (the trilogy) it does...
just thinking isn't the MP wii triology not on usb helper why inject it if you can dowload it?did a quick check of my nintendont config file and everything is on default and auto.i enabled force wscreen,wii u ws;auto video with and memcard emulation.
i you click disable autoboot nintendont will start first,maybe an easy my to try different settings ?

Last edited by hemi426,

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I was almost sure metroid had that option on gamecube.
Maybe I'm mixing it with the PAL60hz option.
you might be right, my original game boxes doesn't display any widescreen logo.

well, there goes all my explanation, ahah
No its ok, i REALLY appreciate your explanations, and respect them!

Anyway, here i mamade the same settings on nintendont on my original Wii console, and i encounter the same problem. Setting video witth to 720 the TV is saying "no signal" it was 480i my TV reported me, than the game switched to 480p by it self cause i pressed the button on blind. And i i waed and here i can hear i play the game but no picture LoL, its saying "No Signal" on my TV.
Same as WiiU gamepad, except it doesnt ssay that and its not completly black, it shows one green dot like ipcture on first pic i posted on this thread.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I guess its its be and easier to test here than on WiiU lol.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah, when I suggested 718 instead of 719, it's because the screen uses even number of pixels.

the picture is 640px width and is centered on TV. if you want to display more area of the picture, you need to stretch it on both side of the screen at the same time, one pixel right, one pixel left : 640+2
extending only one pixel it might either look wrong (not centered) or the console or nintendont might not know how to center it if it's an odd number.

did you try to do this?
- disable "auto video width"
- set 640 manually
if it works, try other even values, like 680, or 710, etc.
maybe there is a limit the game might accept.

Also, don't enable the force widesceen option, just to be sure the game doesn't try to display "out of area" elements.

Like I said, my ideal would be :
force 4:3 in nintendont (or display widescreen)
set tv to display 4:3 too (to get correct aspect ratio !) using your TV menu.
that's not up to nintendont to fix the visual picture ratio, but your TV settings ! your TV has to display 4:3 output as 4:3, not as stretched widescreen.
then, you might have to fix the missing ratio with the video width setting of nintendont (from 640 to 720)

video mode and output are always hard to understand or explain on wii, as the console doesn't really do a real widescreen output. vWii does.
on WiiU, to simulate that "tv setting forced to 4:3' you set the "wiiu widescreen" off and you don't have to touch your TV menu. it's like emulating your tv's "display 4:3" setting by adding black bars around the buffer to extend the output picture to real widescreen size.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: MetoMeto

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
ah, when I suggested 718 instead of 719, it's because the screen uses even number of pixels.

the picture is 640px width and is centered on TV. if you want to display more area of the picture, you need to stretch it on both side of the screen at the same time, one pixel right, one pixel left : 640+2
extending only one pixel it might either look wrong (not centered) or the console or nintendont might not know how to center it if it's an odd number.

did you try to do this?
- disable "auto video width"
- set 640 manually
if it works, try other even values, like 680, or 710, etc.
maybe there is a limit the game might accept.

Also, don't enable the force widesceen option, just to be sure the game doesn't try to display "out of area" elements.

Like I said, my ideal would be :
force 4:3
set tv to display 4:3 too (to get correct aspect ratio !)
that's not up to nintendont to fix the visual picture ratio, but your TV settings !

on WiiU, yo simulate that "tv setting forced to 4:3' you set the "wiiu widescreen" off.
I see, so even only. I guess for pixel perfect or for it to show the picture?

Anyway, im trying it now what you said, but i think 640 does work! But it makes squished picture. But ill try even numbers, i didn't tried that.

One question: Does video mode has any impact on a signal?
For me its set to force NTSC..

I wont mess with the TV cause the idea is to play it on WiiU gamepads screen. It has no 4:3 option like TV does.

edit' its strange. Setting to 640 manually makes the picture streched

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the game pad does have the 4:3 option like the tv does!
it's the "wiiu widescreen" option, set to off in nintendont.

see, setting 640 manually instead of "auto 640" is already doing something different, trying different option is a good way to find a problem.

Last edited by Cyan,

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
the game pad does have the 4:3 option like the tv does!
it's the "wiiu widescreen" option, set to off in nintendont.
No, i mean the gamepad it self in gamepads settings.

It's grayed out here on Wii.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
because it has no effect on wii, there's no widescreen option available, it's always outputting a 4:3 picture.
wiiu is a real widescreen display, and to emulate a 4:3 display on a widescreen, it's adding black bars to 4:3 picture (640 or 720 width) with the "wiiu widescreen" setting in nintendont to prevent stretching the output to fit the screen, and instead keep the correct 4:3 ratio on old 4:3 games without the need to touch both the console's video and the tv settings.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
because it has no effect on wii, there's no widescreen option available, it's always outputting a 4:3 picture.
wiiu is a real widescreen display, and to emulate a 4:3 display on a widescreen, it's adding black bars to 4:3 picture (640 or 720 width) with the "wiiu widescreen" setting in nintendont to prevent stretching the output to fit the screen, and instead keep the correct 4:3 ratio on old 4:3 games without the need to touch both the console's video and the tv settings.
So if i set TV it self to 4:3 it would be the equivalent to "wiiu widescreen" option? It phisically turns off, so to say, pixels on sides (black bars) to correct4:3 regular TV decice?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes
it will work on wii.
it will work on WiiU only if you set the display to 4:3 in wiiu settings, but I'm not sure how it'll affect the gamepad display, probably force the side bars too. You don't need to change the wiiu + tv settings manually, as nintendont does it for you using a nintendont setting.

Last edited by Cyan,

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I see... Im Im trying with even numbers to see at what point it looses signal.

I was going backwards with even numbers. I trued 700 and it has picture!

And metroid logo looks briliantly round :D

Reactions: Cyan

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
is the ratio good enough for you?
circles looks like circle?

good, now try on wiiu :)
the wii was just to be faster to do the tests.
Yes! And most importantly IT WORKS! Imean it has picture! No "no signal"
Now it only remains to see if it will work on WiiU. Fingers crossed.

also im gonna try going as far as i can, ill add +2 more to see where the signal is lost.

You are like a wise chozo elder!

Thanks cyan!!!
Also i i leaed a lot!

As j ssaid, now only WiiU remains to see if it works....brb.

So on WiiU's nincfg.bin i just need to add wiiu widescreen...

P.S. im iven measuring the circle with a ruler to see if its proportional LoL xD

I just noticed...nintwndont on wii dodoesnt even allow not even numbers!

Yup, the furthest a video width for meteoid prime 2 (usa) can go is 700, anything more than that is "no signal"

Im off to wiiu now with "wiiu widescreen" option enabled.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
alsowant to say that when i installed out of regio wii games for injection i got a black screen(my vwii is not hacked)so i only use wii games that matches my region of the console.
i thing you can change buttons when you press "-" or "+" in a game discoverd it when playing sm sunshine

Oh so thats what happens with buttons! I thought it was random glitch.
How exactly do you do that?

Well i uuse GC injects of NTSC games on my PAL wiiU (i use mocha and vWii is also nnot hacked) and they work!

hemi426

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Oh so thats what happens with buttons! I thought it was random glitch.
How exactly do you do that?

Well i uuse GC injects of NTSC games on my PAL wiiU (i use mocha and vWii is also nnot hacked) and they work!
Wii injection Will not work if region doesn't match installed 30 games the first time 0 succes,with region matching 100% succes

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Wii injection Will not work if region doesn't match installed 30 games the first time 0 succes,with region matching 100% succes
idk, all my GC games are USA region and my Wii and WiiU are European. They work fine.
Wii is hacked, but WiiU is not nor vWii.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
@Cyan wiiu widescreen option just makes the game strech to16:9

Is it to much to ask that you try and tell me what you did? If you sucseed..

hemi426

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@Cyan wiiu widescreen option just makes the game strech to16:9

Is it to much to ask that you try and tell me what you did? If you sucseed..
Did you enabled Force widescreen and auto widescreen to?and also put it on auto in the video settings box

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Did you enabled Force widescreen and auto widescreen to?and also put it on auto in the video settings box
I made it work like a charm.
No "no sinal" or black screen. Auto makes the picture squeezed. 700 width works the best! but one more than that and it crashes! on metroid prime 2 anyway...
The game works and aspect ratio is perfect/correct. Circle is a circle and not oval, and every game so far works!

These are THE settings for "nincfg.bin":

HlysLRs.png

Now i wonder though, will bios work like it does on original Wii?

EDIT: WOW! going in menu of a game it self and changing "screen strech" option to the right, to positive, crashes the game!
DO NOT TOUCH THAT if you used these Nintendont settings i posted!

@hemi426 How do you go about changing controls in nintendont...i mean button mapping?
EDIT: never mind i figured it out :)

Holding "-" and cycling D-PAD left right up down...whatever

As far as i'm concerned, this topic can be closed! @Cyan

I fixed the problem.

Last edited by MetoMeto,
Reactions: hemi426

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill