Hacking Black CycloDS Evo ruined Micro SD?

ubersk8kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.prizerebel.com
XP
Country
Canada
I dont know how it did it, but it did. I just got my CycloDS evo Black (3 day shipping from ModChipCentral
wink.gif
) and I wanted to try it right away.

I used the Micro SD reader that came with the Cyclo (I noticed it was kinda a tight fit) I deleted all my M3 Simply system stuff off the micro SD card, I kept the games, saves and other files created by the homebrew on the SD card. I put the evo update file onto the SD card, put moonshell on too and turned on my DS. I followed the instructions and it updated to version 1.22. I turned it back on and went to see if moonshell worked. It worked fine, but there were now only 3 files on the SD card 2 folders and the .sav to my tower defense game.

AHK!
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif

Luckily I keep my stuff backed up every week or so, so thats ok, but there is even a bigger issue......
My 2gb Micro SD card now only has 313.34 mb available when there is nothing on it!

AHK!
wtf.gif
wtf.gif
wtf.gif

I heard that Kingston Micro SD Cards have a life time warranty, so what do I do to get a new one?

Thought Id throw this out there. MY MICRO SD CARD WAS FINE YESTERDAY
dry.gif
what caused my micro sd to lose 1.7 gb? why did my new cyclo delete 90% of my files on micro sd card?

ubersk8kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.prizerebel.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks OzMod
smile.gif
will get to that tomorrow

Also another question do all micro SD card readers have that "tight fit feel" like the cyclo and the m3 micro sd card readers? Should I go buy a different micro sd card reader?

diew

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reformatting is when you go into My Computer, right click on the Drive of the SD card, which should be E or F depending on how many CD/DVD drives or Hard Drives in your computer, and then click on FORMAT. Follow the steps afterwards, it should be self explanatory.

camx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nope thats not formatting. in windows explorer right click the drive letter it makes for itself (make sure your correct about this) and click format. see what option is available for maximum size; if it's 313mb then you have a bigger problem. also, if you get into control panel and look at Disk Management under Administrative Options, you can look at the partition the SD card is using. If theres anything more than one partition, delete it in there and make a new one. i would advise reading up on how these things work before you go messing around as you can seriously OWN your PC with these tools. if all else fails and the card is no longer reading at the correct size (~2gb) then there is most likely a problem with the card itself. as always, try the card in different readers, try the card in different computers, etc etc. call kingston if you really think its worth it, but trust me i'd much rather plonk out 15 bucks for a new card NOW than wait weeks for an RMA to go through.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
that post was somewhat incoherent.

first step that diew said is formatting.

chances are it'll probably fix it.

ubersk8kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.prizerebel.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all the tips, but I should've mentioned I have a Mac... sorry

EDIT: OMG I FIGURED IT OUT
biggrin.gif
! thanks for the formating ideas diew & diglett
bow.gif
My micro SD card sends its thanks
wink.gif

For Mac users that might encounter this problem:
-go to Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities
-click on your micro sd card on the left (whatever you named it)
-click on "Repair disk" on the bottom left of the screen.
-Voila
wink.gif

2gb Kingston micro SD cards are actually 1.87gb right??????
unsure.gif

LordMelkor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to format an sd card on a mac, from finder menubar, got Go>Utilities>Disk Utility

From Disk Utility help:

1. In Disk Utility, select the disk you want to format for Windows computers.
2. Click Erase and choose MS-DOS File System from the Volume Format pop-up menu.
3. Type a name for the disk.
The name's maximum length is 11 characters.

5. Click the Erase button, then click Erase again.

BUT before you try to do that, see if you can Verify/Repair your SD card first, there are buttons to do both of those.

ubersk8kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.prizerebel.com
XP
Country
Canada
Something is still wrong with mine. I have 512 files on it somehow that take up 4.3 mb. Are these all hidden files on my sd card?

EDIT: I "erased" it with disk utility (it got rid of whatever was still on there) and it went from a FAT 16 to a FAT 32, is that a problem?

diew

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry, FAT 16 and FAT 32 rarely makes a difference in game play from your SD card (I believe)

And yes, all SD cards are usually less than what is listed, such as a 2gb SD card being 1.87gb, This is because of the File Allocation Table being created, which is also known as your FAT. Don't worry about it being less than 2gb and don't bother buying a new card as it would still be 1.87gb after formatting it.

94dan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, you had a partition on it. Crappy SD cards tend to make partitions on themselves for no apparent reason. Especially SanDisks.

I use Linux, so I solved my last problem with this much easier, it showed me the problem.

I don't know about Mac, but on Windows you have to jump through hoops to find out if something has a partition.

Also, FAT32 is better than FAT16, it affects speed. Actually, I think that might mean you can't play certain games on FAT16.

joebells

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is also the sdformater v2.0 you can get it from the sd associations website. I had to use it on my card a 2 gigabyte japanese kingston as I tried to format it in osx and it wouldn't format 2 gigs just 1(originally showed all 2 gigs) and it wouldn't format in windows either. The program is made by panasonic and that gave me pause but it worked just fine on my sd card and now it shows all 2 gigs again.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there is also the sdformater v2.0 you can get it from the sd associations website. I had to use it on my card a 2 gigabyte japanese kingston as I tried to format it in osx and it wouldn't format 2 gigs just 1(originally showed all 2 gigs) and it wouldn't format in windows either. The program is made by panasonic and that gave me pause but it worked just fine on my sd card and now it shows all 2 gigs again.

Yes, try using SDFormatter 2.0 (.0.2). Get it from the GBAtemp downloads center http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1530.

EDIT: Oh, you have a Mac liek me! Yay, another fellow Mac user. In that case, you reformat using Disk Utility. And it is normal that it's 1.87GB, all because that companies count 1GB as 1000MB, but it's actually 1024MB. And also the File Allocation Table (FAT) takes up some space.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr