Hacking Black Bars on the side?

moonknight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I downloaded the game The_House_of_the_Dead_OVERKILL_USA_Wii-PROMiNENT, and as the title states it is the USA version. So my question is: Why does it have the black bars on the sides? When I say black bars I mean like... it's not completely covering my screen, the sides are missing.. I'm having the same problem with Mad World as well.. Does anybody know why? Thanks in advanced.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1. PAL Wii, compontent cables, 16:9 hdtv?

2. Do you use a loader or the disc channel?

3. Is your Wiis set to 480p?

4. Is your Wii set to 4:3 or 16:9?

moonknight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. NTSC, No components, yes 16:9 hdtv

2. I tried both USB Loader and I burnt on a disc

3. No component cables, so only 480i

4. Wii is set to 16:9

Is it because the game is labelled incorrectly?? I shouldn't be having this probably if it was USA version. Anybody else tried this game or Mad World?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well maybe that issue is some general homebrew issue. I'm trying to figure out why it happens to you. I have some other guy with a PAL Wii and compent cables to his 16:9 that has the same issue. Could you set your Wii to 4:3 and see if that changes anything AFTER the game is started? And if the ratio is correct even when set wrong?

moonknight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a modchip, so when I burnt the disc I'm not using any homebrew to play it. I just tried setting my Wii to 4:3.. the menu buttons got a lot bigger and wider.. I don't think that's normal. But the game still has the same problem, with the black bars on the sides.

micric100

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no, this happens to me on some NTSC and PAL games, i don't know why, i have an NTSC wii with component and 16-9, but it only happens on some games, I havent been able to figure out the problem, if anyone does, please post.

i havent gotten house of dead yet, but when I do, I will try.

kylsav

Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
This is a game problem not a loader problem.

A unhacked wii playing an original copy will have this issue. it isn't related to any USB or backup loader. only thing to do is to enjoy the game with the bars or complain to whoever made the game.
hate2.gif

it seems to always be 3rd party developers that have this problem, not Nintendo made games.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing madworld PAL on a NTSC wii if it matters to anybody and it has black borders all-the-way around it. I can play it a bit smaller and it doesn't really affect game play.

punchout PAL on NTSC wii without blackness...
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1402/picture5w.jpg

wadworld PAL on same NTSC wii...
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6283/picture18uqh.jpg
There's about 1 inch difference if you look at the top of my TV.

I think it's all up to the game makers about this, but I could be wrong here.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Could somebody confirm that this only happens on 16:9 hdtvs? I'm thinking that it might be that the games run in a reduced resolution, and the tvs don't scale it up to full screen. Maybe changing some settings at the tv helps. Something like the games show 640x480 instead of the 720x480 they should be running at(just a theory).

mydarxide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kylsav said:
This is a game problem not a loader problem.

A unhacked wii playing an original copy will have this issue. it isn't related to any USB or backup loader. only thing to do is to enjoy the game with the bars or complain to whoever made the game.
hate2.gif

it seems to always be 3rd party developers that have this problem, not Nintendo made games.

Not exactly true, Mario Party 8 does this too. Original Disc and unmodded wii. it is the developers fault too dam lazy to make the game compatible with widescreens. BASTARDS!!

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Could somebody confirm that this only happens on 16:9 hdtvs? I'm thinking that it might be that the games run in a reduced resolution, and the tvs don't scale it up to full screen. Maybe changing some settings at the tv helps. Something like the games show 640x480 instead of the 720x480 they should be running at(just a theory).

nope. i'm using 4:3 and same as previous poster, some games have a side black border. it got nothing to do with loader cus i'm using a dvd with direct load from disc channel. btw my tv support 480p.

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WiiPower said:

I Have a Sharp Aquos, 52" HD LCDTV. I can confirm 100% that House of the Dead: OVERKILL does produce black bars on either side of the screen when playing this game. Also, Madworld is a similar issue, but a bit different; When loading the game, all of the intro screens, health warnings and animations, they are all appearing with black bars on the side... However when I'm at the main menu or in the actual game, everything is displaying perfectly in fullscreen on widescreen.

My TV automatically scales between video settings and displays when it switches between 480i and 480p. I believe that Madworld is displaying @ 480i while HotD and almost every other game plays at 480p. My suggestion is its the ISO's themselves, but have yet to confirm anything

Console, TV and Games are all NTSC. Wii is connected via Component cables.

kylsav

Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
sry for that, mario party is one game i don't got
frown.gif

i have a NTSC wii with system menu 4.0 of course its soft modded but i have the original disks for Madworld and Overkill, and both have the black bars.

I know madworld is in 480i (saw an article on joystiq.com) but idk about Overkill. but that could be the problem.

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im having the same "problem"

52" LCD tv, running 480p, some games have black borders wether its pal or ntsc.
To say the least, its annoying.

micric100

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think some games are just developed that way and scale badly, and some are because of the PAL on NTSC wii or other way around, and some are because of the loader, but i'm just guessing. I have a feeling though that either way, even if this is the developers fault, this could be fixed for all games if some sort of patch was made, or if it was coded to fix it in the loader, but i'm not a coder so i don't know if this is actually possible. Do any coders know if this could be fixed somehow?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think it's half the developers fault, half the tvs. It's only a part of the hdtv people having this problem, i'm sure the tvs of the others just scale the image up to fill the screen.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
In all games, when my tv an wii is set to 16;9, i get about 1 inch black border around the whole screen too.

I think you are right WiiPower, it is part the developers fault, and part the tvs fault.

Some games are better scaled than others though, particularly first party games.

This problem seems to exist in homebrew aswell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!