Hacking Black Bars on the side?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
32" Sony LCD HDTV, PAL Wii, component cables. no black borders whatsoever.

Games scale up correctly.

Just tried with HotD: Overkill. And as far as I could recall, never had a black borders problem.

jarock

Trophies
XP
Country
Same here 32Hd and old an old 32 big mother tube TV.
Pal wii, have Madworld and overkill both pal games also and no black bars. Must be NTSC versions.
But I also have a few NTSC titles and also no issues on both but PAL tv's have a higher res so maybe that make a difference?
Mario party 8 is only one that does not upscale so have to change from widescreen to 4.3 on wii and the tvs do the rest.

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the record, my ps3/xbox360 and all other consoles never have or had black bars.
I never encountered black bars on my wii either (besides mario partty), untill mad world came out (playing PAL version on PAL system).

I doubt its half the tv half the console like being said here, i have a philips 52"lcd and a sony bravia 42" lcd, and both have this problem.

micric100

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WiiPower said:
I think it's half the developers fault, half the tvs. It's only a part of the hdtv people having this problem, i'm sure the tvs of the others just scale the image up to fill the screen.
that makes sense because everyone seems to be having differences with different tvs, but they are all using pretty much the same homebrew apps and tried with the same games, is there anything that can be done for it, because the first party developers seem to know how to fix this, maybe some code in the loader, or and iso patch can fix it?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Play more around with the settings of your tv? If you tv does not allow you to scale the image it gets to full screen it's not that good.

micric100

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it's weird, because i can scale tv images fine, but when i try to scale images from the wii, it just stays the same regardless of the settings

Lookie401

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought someone already explain this already.

Anyway, this is called "underscaled" to compensate people who are still playing on CRT/SDTV and/or the more developer can "cut off" some resolution, the more "graphic" they can push on screen.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Lookie401 said:
I thought someone already explain this already.

Anyway, this is called "underscaled" to compensate people who are still playing on CRT/SDTV and/or the more developer can "cut off" some resolution, the more "graphic" they can push on screen.

Lol, makes sense somehow.

@Everybody with this problem, search a "overscan" option on your tv and test with that

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
micric100 said:
it's weird, because i can scale tv images fine, but when i try to scale images from the wii, it just stays the same regardless of the settings

same here, my tv scales everything fine. But when encountering black bars at a wii game, it will scale the image with the black bars staying present.

shadow_14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have an 4:3 Lcd philips 22" and i also have this problem, it usually appears in third-party, ntsc games (although i had the problem with pal games like Blom Box: Bash Party and Guitar Hero:World Tour).
Also, and this is really annoying, every homebrew program that i try (except homebrew channel) also has this problem =/ is there any way to fix this? like some kind of path, modify something in the code of the homebrew?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    cearp @ cearp: It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space +1