Black and White hack?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by CompC, May 8, 2011.

May 8, 2011

Black and White hack? by CompC at 7:36 PM (1,819 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. CompC
    OP

Member CompC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've never done any hacking of anything. How hard would it be to make a simple hack of Black and White?

I don't want to change the story or sprites or evolutions or anything. I just want to make a hack that makes these games more like the previous ones—where there's a mix of old and new Pokémon in Unova instead of just all new ones. I don't want it to be possible to catch every Pokémon in the game, like it seems most other hacks focus on, but just to be able to get previous and new ones.

I'd want to just edit the trainers' Pokémon and the wild Pokémon for every location. How hard would it be to do this, and what would I use?

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Drayano

Member Drayano .

United Kingdom
    Trainer editing is relatively easy. If you look up KazoWAR's Trainer Editor (BWTE) and are able to extract .narc files, then it's as easy as entering whatever you want.

Wild editing on the other hand isn't so good. There's no tool currently and twistedfatal is the only one who is planning to make one as far as I know (and that's gonna be a long while yet). You'll have to use a hex editor for now, and enter the values into the appropriate places on the a/1/2/6 .narc yourself.

Let me just say, if you're unfamiliar with it hex editing can be intimidating at first, but simply changing values and such is actually very easy once you understand what to do.

3. Oxnite

Member Oxnite GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    In fact, I created a Wild Pokémon Editor Tool which is almost ready (just needs some 3-hour fixing or something). The Editor works, because I'm working on a hack as well and I changed some routes with it. It completely works.

The only problem is that I started it in VB 6, but I can't seem to 'create an .exe file' out of it because I'm working on Windows Vista.

4. andibad

Member andibad Soon™

Indonesia
    but i heart twistfatal is almost done on wild pokemon editor, he just searching hex offset for swarming pokemon ...

5. Drayano

Member Drayano .

United Kingdom
    Oh I didn't know you were doing one Oxnite =o

I'd actually kinda like to see the source code for that >>; VB6 is the only language I know but I'm a bit of a novice at it. I'm clueless about the hex functions and stuff

6. mastersord

Newcomer mastersord Member

United States

Welcome to my world. I'm also curious myself.

7. Blazer

Member Blazer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That sounds really interesting. Along with the trainer editor that'd be great for changing the appearance of Pokemon. Maybe you Pokehackers should get together and figure out who is making what program though, so we don't have multiple programs doing the same thing. Just a suggestion since things seem kinda inefficient at the moment. XP

8. twistedfatal

Newcomer twistedfatal Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    i need to do more not just swarms i still need to find the new offsets for the eng games since i started the wild editor when the jap games came out