Hacking Big Question

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been reading more and more, finally getting the gist of everything. Another question that I really havent found the answer to, What if I had an old 3dsXL with below firmware 9.2? Could I back up it's Nand and somehow downgrade my N3ds using the old 3dsxl Nand?

I'd also have to use a hard mod if i wanted to do that as well, right?

This would be very bad. N3DS doesn't work on FW lower than 8.1, and your NAND is specific to your 3DS. So you have two different 3DS' (old/new doesn't matter) and they both have two different NANDs. Similar to your street address, you can't have the same address as your neighbor because you have different houses. Don't want your mail getting mixed up.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I've been reading more and more, finally getting the gist of everything. Another question that I really havent found the answer to, What if I had an old 3dsXL with below firmware 9.2? Could I back up it's Nand and somehow downgrade my N3ds using the old 3dsxl Nand?

I'd also have to use a hard mod if i wanted to do that as well, right?
To expand of your answer, you can only downgrade a console if you made a NAND backup from that exact console, even if they are both n3ds consoles, the NAND is uniquely encrypted per console, so you cannot restore the NAND from one console to another

Reactions: tony_2018

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Find a black 3DS and switch the faceplates! Then you and your wife could play at least your legit games together, or use download play. :)

You can't restrict updating. Parental controls does NOT block it. The only thing you can do is never accept the ToS, but this is required to access the e-shop.

But you can put three not-working wifi connections and block the internet management with parental controls, which mean your kids won't be able to modify the internet settings on sysnand and so, they won't be able to update the sysnand as they can't connect to internet, which is the same as blocking online updates (also no risk to update from the eshop on sysnand as if you don't have internet on sysnand, eshop won't load).

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you can put three not-working wifi connections and block the internet management with parental controls, which mean your kids won't be able to modify the internet settings on sysnand and so, they won't be able to update the sysnand as they can't connect to internet, which is the same as blocking online updates (also no risk to update from the eshop on sysnand as if you don't have internet on sysnand, eshop won't load).
Not true. Spent the weekend in an Embassy Suites. All three N3DS had Internet connection despite dummy connections in all 3 slots on sysnand and emunand. Nintendo has an arrangement with ATT and probably other providers. The only way to disable it was to turn wireless/NFC off on the home screen menu (the one with the themes).

What really pissed me off was the damn browser worked great on the n3ds with full bars and my iPad and kids iPhones has shit connections that kept dropping so I had to pay 6.95 a day for hilton honors premium service.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not true. Spent the weekend in an Embassy Suites. All three N3DS had Internet connection despite dummy connections in all 3 slots on sysnand and emunand. Nintendo has an arrangement with ATT and probably other providers. The only way to disable it was to turn wireless/NFC off on the home screen menu (the one with the themes).

What really pissed me off was the damn browser worked great on the n3ds with full bars and my iPad and kids iPhones has shit connections that kept dropping so I had to pay 6.95 a day for hilton honors premium service.

As Thorasgar said - Regardless of dummy connections, Nintendo Zones will ALWAYS be picked up on the 3DS/N3DS and can download updates that way. If you only use them at home, sure, but if you have kids and go somewhere then it becomes a lot of micro-management. Personally if I had kids I would get them SKY3DS carts instead of GW. Simpler concept for simpler minds.

Reactions: Osmosis

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Thorasgar said - Regardless of dummy connections, Nintendo Zones will ALWAYS be picked up on the 3DS/N3DS and can download updates that way. If you only use them at home, sure, but if you have kids and go somewhere then it becomes a lot of micro-management. Personally if I had kids I would get them SKY3DS carts instead of GW. Simpler concept for simpler minds.
Interestingly I tried opening the Nintendo Zone app and said it could not find a Zone. I am fine with my 9 year old and the GW, but he is probably the exception. Aspergers, 136 IQ and can kick anyone's ass at video games. It sucks having a kid smarter than you. I think in many cases just some proper and ongoing training with kids should do the trick. They don't want to lose their gamez. :)

Reactions: Maximilious

Ace_Axel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've actually found a use for my health info icon. Besides moving around icons and adding folders that say "E" in emunand and "S" in sysnand I leave that triangle with the exclamation point icon in front... There's nothing better than a big ass "Road Sign" to know when you gotta take that left into... Emuquerque

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France

We don't have Nintendo Zones here I think (France).

For kids, if you really want to be sure, I would take an original 3DS and hardmod it.

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have always updated my 3ds( I have got 3 of them) consoles from eshop and never ran into a problem. I have been using gateway before brick code was introduced btw

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have always updated my 3ds( I have got 3 of them) consoles from eshop and never ran into a problem. I have been using gateway before brick code was introduced btw

You're very lucky then. There are a lot of proven occurrences where updating through the eShop has actually updated sysNAND and not emuNAND for many users.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I believe the advice to "only update from the system settings area" stems from the fact it's the only place you can be 100% assured that you're in your emunand, without paying attention to anything specific you yourself have set up as a tell.

Everyone's gateway emunand will say "GW3D" before the system firmware version, aside from the first beta on N3DS.

If you know you're in emunand there should be no reason anything would update the other nand, take the time to set up some major differences in appearances between the nands is the best advice to stop you making this mistake.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That is interesting..

ophbalance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Updating via eShop ALWAYS update your sysNAND

Where does this come from? It's absolutely untrue. It will ONLY update your sysNAND if you're not in emuNAND. I've done a O3DS, O3DS XL, N3DS XL all of which was done through the eShop through all the various updates that have come out since I got the GW back in 08/2014 . It's never failed to update the correct NAND. In fact, having users go into settings seems to have an even higher rate of failure as folks mistakenly seem to be exiting before completing the update and getting back into sysNAND. That doesn't happen in the eShop updates.

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I could sell the MM3DS on ebay and buy a new one for maybe a $20-$30 loss.

A loss??? The MMN3DS are in high demand, I think you could still break even with it opened. So long as you have the box and everything ._.
Unopened goes for about 400 bucks, so Im SURE you can make even a slight profit selling it used.

Seven-4-Seven

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A loss??? The MMN3DS are in high demand, I think you could still break even with it opened. So long as you have the box and everything ._.
Unopened goes for about 400 bucks, so Im SURE you can make even a slight profit selling it used.

It's because my wife ended up paying a scalper at $380 and now since they had another shipment just came in the price will be lower for a while.
Funny thing though, I took off work early yesterday with a friend and drove 2 hours to get a new MM3ds for $200 and it ended up being 9.4. I guess I'm REALLY not supposed to have a GW 3ds. So now I'm sitting with 2 MM3ds' one is 9.5 the other is 9.4 :(

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because my wife ended up paying a scalper at $380 and now since they had another shipment just came in the price will be lower for a while.
Funny thing though, I took off work early yesterday with a friend and drove 2 hours to get a new MM3ds for $200 and it ended up being 9.4. I guess I'm REALLY not supposed to have a GW 3ds. So now I'm sitting with 2 MM3ds' one is 9.5 the other is 9.4 :(
Theres no tape on the box, package it all up nicely and sell!. NIB HTF!

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sit on 'em. No, really. There is still hope to run GW... but you must wait... wait... wait...

If you must, choose one and go full tilt into 9.6 and kiss GW goodbye on that unit. But there's still is a chance in the near future that 9.5 will get cracked.

In the meantime, go get a Sky3DS and enjoy the beauty of not having to worry about updates. It's the Ban Hammer that Sky3DS has to worry about. (turn off wifi, no online play, streetpass ok, over network ok, ir ok, no Smash Bros. Internet play etc.)

And it will work on both systems.

Apparently only MM3DS pre-orders had a chance of getting 9.0 FW. The second batch (general public release) was 9.4.

They're also pulling old 3DSXLs with 9.2-lower from shelves. So it's not you. It's Nintendon't.

If you must, search forum for barcode UPC numbers. But most Gamestops won't allow checking UPC anyhow...

Yeah, that bad.

Hence Sky3DS... at least it works.

Seven-4-Seven

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sit on 'em. No, really. There is still hope to run GW... but you must wait... wait... wait...

If you must, choose one and go full tilt into 9.6 and kiss GW goodbye on that unit. But there's still is a chance in the near future that 9.5 will get cracked.

In the meantime, go get a Sky3DS and enjoy the beauty of not having to worry about updates. It's the Ban Hammer that Sky3DS has to worry about. (turn off wifi, no online play, streetpass ok, over network ok, ir ok, no Smash Bros. Internet play etc.)

And it will work on both systems.

Apparently only MM3DS pre-orders had a chance of getting 9.0 FW. The second batch (general public release) was 9.4.

They're also pulling old 3DSXLs with 9.2-lower from shelves. So it's not you. It's Nintendon't.

If you must, search forum for barcode UPC numbers. But most Gamestops won't allow checking UPC anyhow...

Yeah, that bad.

Hence Sky3DS... at least it works.

I keep hearing about the KARL thing going on that's using an exploit in 9.5 and below, maybe we can eventually get GW from that exploit? Anyways, is there any way to inject private headers into a .cia file with Sky 3ds? Assuming, I had a way to get my own private header?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==