[BFWWIWA] Issue #2 - Sony PSVita

Which system would you like to see covered in the next BFWWIWA issue?

• Nintendo Gamecube

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Nintendo Wii

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Nintendo Game Boy Colour

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance

• Nintendo DS

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Nintendo 3DS

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • Sony PlayStation

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sony PlayStation 2

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Sony PlayStation 3

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Sony PSP

• Sega Master System

• Sega Mega Drive/Genesis

• Atari 2600

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • The Classic Amiga Line (500/600/1200)

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • PC - A Personal RETRO-spective

Votes: 12 7.6%

• Total voters

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think the one I saw was the 3G model though. I know it had 8 games, not 10, and I think one of the ones on the cover was Everybody Golf (or some other golf game). Can't remember any of the others.
Interesting - never heard of that one! Perhaps it's a regional thing or a special store offer. :)

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Both the 1000 and the 2000 have their benefits and flaws, it depends on personal preference at this point really.

The 1000 has the OLED screen and (to me anyways) is a lot more comfortable to hold.
The 2000 has an embedded 1GB of storage (which is useless if you get a memory card, it gets deactivated once a memory card is inserted), a Micro USB port instead of the proprietary Vita one, and various cosmetic changes (different color versions, smaller rear-touchpad, changes in the Start/Select button).

I would recommend actually holding both the 1000 and the 2000 before you decide.

I'm planning on buying the largest Memory Card available (64 GB, I think.) so the 1 GB of internal storage means nothing to me. The proprietary port is annoying but I can deal. I take good care of my stuff. One question though. How's the battery life on each? I hear the 2000 has better battery life then its predecessor. Or is the difference negligible?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
the truth is, there is "NO 1st party vita game" but there are many indie and 3rd party games Sony saying if you vita you should get a ps4 or if you have a ps4, the vita is the best thing you can buy to use with it
The PS4 is their latest system and it's selling very well, of course they're going to divert their budget there. The PSVita has plenty of first-party titles as it is already.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm planning on buying the largest Memory Card available (64 GB, I think.) so the 1 GB of internal storage means nothing to me. The proprietary port is annoying but I can deal. I take good care of my stuff. One question though. How's the battery life on each? I hear the 2000 has better battery life then its predecessor. Or is the difference negligible?

According to benchmarks, the 2000 has something like 45 minutes to an hour longer battery life. But the 1000's battery life is something like 6 hours of continuous playtime.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Capcom would only bring over Monster Hunter Frontier G, then I would shell out some cash.
I'm very close to purchasing one too.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The best part is that the 1GB means literally nothing because you can only use it if you don't have a memory card inserted (unless that was changed at some point?) http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/10/ps-vita-slim-internal-storage-usable-memory-card/

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If Capcom would only bring over Monster Hunter Frontier G, then I would shell out some cash.
I'm very close to purchasing one too.
Monster Hunter Frontier G is planned to be released in the west on the PSVita, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U and PC, but the release date has not been disclosed yet so nothing's set in stone.

Reactions: AceWarhead

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You caught my attention. But still, I don't know what will happen once PS+ is gone. Normally I wouldn't care, but Sony is famous for giving all in and then try to bury their stuff like an ET Atari 2600 cartridge (Go, Xperia Play, EyeToy chat...).
I always liked the PSVita and one day I will probably get one, but I wish there was something written in the TOS that guarantees my games to be still there once PS+ is gone.

Question: how good is the virtual console? Better than the 3DS?

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monster Hunter Frontier G is planned to be released in the west on the PSVita, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U and PC, but the release date has not been disclosed yet so nothing's set in stone.

If that happens, then it's a definite buy. There's already things on there like P4G, MGS collection, and others that are interesting.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
This is a nice writeup, Foxi, but it makes me think we need a Why You Should Not To Buy A... series too :ha:

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You caught my attention. But still, I don't know what will happen once PS+ is gone. Normally I wouldn't care, but Sony is famous for giving all in and then try to bury their stuff like an ET Atari 2600 cartridge (Go, Xperia Play, EyeToy chat...).
I always liked the PSVita and one day I will probably get one, but I wish there was something written in the TOS that guarantees my games to be still there once PS+ is gone.

Once your PS+ subscription is up, you won't have access to the games given by PS+. But, once you renew your subscription, all the games you previously grabbed will be available to play as well. As for what happens if PS+ as a service gets canned...well, chances are that won't be for years and years.

Regarding the classics, Sony has a huge selection of PS1 games that are playable on the Vita for cheap, as well as various PSP games. They also have the PS2 HD collection re-release games that are pretty good as well (like God of War, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank etc).

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
PS+ games are rentals, so I'd assume that the moment PS+ support for the PSVita is dropped, you'll lose access to them. That being said, we're still years away from that happening - keep in mind that the PS2 has been discontinued in 2012 and as far as I know, servers for games are *still* running.
I haven't tried the Virtual Console functionality outside of a few PSP titles, but judging by the hardware powering it I'd assume that it's pretty capable.
This is a nice writeup, Foxi, but it makes me think we need a Why You Should Not To Buy A... series too :ha:
BFWWIWA doesn't by proxy mean that I'll recommend the purchase - if the console
isn't worth buying then I'll explain exactly why that's the case. If you'd enjoy an article series specifically about what not to buy though, you should probably ask Ryukouki - he's the one who "enjoys" getting all the heat around here. :tpi:

Gaming4Ever

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So im guessing we are never gonna find out what the mystery port on the 1000 models is for?

Was really hoping $ony would just release a Video output HDMI cable we all want seeing as they seem to be promoting the Playstation TV all but killing off the 1000 & 2000 models.....ah what a world :cry:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So im guessing we are never gonna find out what the mystery port on the 1000 models is for?

Was really hoping $ony would just release a Video output HDMI cable we all want seeing as they seem to be promoting the Playstation TV all but killing off the 1000 & 2000 models.....ah what a world :cry:
Technically a PSVita has most of the hardware needed for an HDMI TV-Out including a hardware scaler, I'd assume that the mystery port is a left-over from the HDMI ports found on devkit units that was perhaps going to be used in future peripherals but was since discontinued, much like the PSP-1000's infrared port. There is a third-party video capture device available though if you're interested.

One of the hackers, katsu, also managed to get the HDMI functinality to work with a couple of resistors, a female HDMI connector and some wires soldered to 10 points on the motherboard - I'm sure the schematics for that will eventually surface as a low-cost TV-Out solution for the system.

Reactions: Gaming4Ever

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
BFWWIWA doesn't by proxy mean that I'll recommend the purchase - if the console isn't worth buying then I'll explain exactly why that's the case. If you'd enjoy an article series specifically about what not to buy though, you should probably ask Ryukouki - he's the one who "enjoys" getting all the heat around here. :tpi:
I understand [BFWWIWA] isn't a series of reviews, but since you only list the positives of the console, I couldn't help but envision an opposite series, where we dismiss consoles out of hand for their perceived flaws. Of course, it would have to run in the EoF :tpi:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I understand [BFWWIWA] isn't a series of reviews, but since you only list the positives of the console, I couldn't help but envision an opposite series, where we dismiss consoles out of hand for their perceived flaws. Of course, it would have to run in the EoF :tpi:
I couldn't think of a whole lot of negatives with this one other than the fact that it gets less developer attention than the 3DS and doesn't sell particularily well - the PSVita is just a good handheld. The previous issue lists most of the problems the Saturn had, for instance. ;)

Gaming4Ever

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i know bout the video capture doohickey but again would be nice if they had an official cable seeing as its been just said not to expect any real First-Party titles and the Vita being an "Companion" device for the PS4 and a Indie Machine basically........

Also damn those memory card prices 2 hell :evil:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT