Votes: 120 11.9%

• Total voters

satanishere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using version 4.7.5 on 64 bit win 7. I try to download the current recommended IOS's, but in the download process the program crashes. It closes too quickly for me to read any of the error messages. Is there a log that I output somewhere that I can provide you with?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
try deleting the temp folder or an entirely fresh installation of ModMii. You can also try performing a windows update, disabling firewall or antivirus that could be interfering with ModMii. If all else fails, u can try another windows machine (or even virtual machine), and if that fails, check out the complete softmod guide for the manual softmod method

satanishere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try deleting the temp folder or an entirely fresh installation of ModMii. You can also try performing a windows update, disabling firewall or antivirus that could be interfering with ModMii. If all else fails, u can try another windows machine (or even virtual machine), and if that fails, check out the complete softmod guide for the manual softmod method

Thanks XFlak. The first thing I did when it crashed was reinstall it. I reinstalled it about 3 times now, and when running the program I tried to run it regularly and as admin. Still crashes. I also just tried deleting the temp folder and downloading again, still the same thing. It crashes during the download/decompression(?) process. I don't have another windows machine here, just tried it on a 32 bit VM of windows 7 and it worked. Perhaps that is a clue to the problem?

geovalley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks XFlak. The first thing I did when it crashed was reinstall it. I reinstalled it about 3 times now, and when running the program I tried to run it regularly and as admin. Still crashes. I also just tried deleting the temp folder and downloading again, still the same thing. It crashes during the download/decompression(?) process. I don't have another windows machine here, just tried it on a 32 bit VM of windows 7 and it worked. Perhaps that is a clue to the problem?

Don't know if this is the same problem I faced b4. Looks like it was.
Open a cmd console. Change its code page encoding using command "chcp 1252". Verify it by using "chcp" and see 1252. Close it.
Now try again and see if it resolves the crash problem. If not, let know.
You might need to add this command in ascii2hex.bat file.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
someone else already told me about adding chcp 1252 to the ascii2hex.bat, I can't remember his name right now. Anyways, it's already been added for the next ModMii update :D

edit:
lol, it was you that PM'd me about it! My bad, sorry I get a lot of PMs from new ppl so it's hard to keep track sometimes

Oisterboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, forgive me for not reading the whole OP...this is kind of a spur of the moment decision for me.

I used to mod my Wii way back in the day...then I sold it. I'm looking to get another one since they are only $100 now and thats such a laughable amount I'm interested again.

If I walk into Gamestop and buy myself a used Wii, do I need to worry about ANYTHING when picking one out? Any model/color/whatever should work with this mod right? I know it says "any wii", but does that really mean "any wii"?

Edit: Actually, I see on Walmarts black friday ad that there are brand new "limited edition blue wiis" for $100...I might as well get a new one. But I don't want to not be able to mod it...so please let me know before I blow a bunch of money on it. Please and thanks.

Again, sorry for being difficult, but for something I'm only half motivated to do, I don't want to read a ton of stuff to find out the answer is no.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
you can mod ANY wii.

however, only older model wii's can install bootmii @ boot2 or play backup discs. However, newer wii's can still install bootmii @ IOS and priiloader (a decent level of protection) and play games off a usb-loader.

So to answer your question, you can mod ANY wii, but if you're planning on doing risky beta testing you should look for an older Wii than can install bootmii @ boot2.

Oisterboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm mainly looking to play games from a USB loader...forget all that disc burning nonsense :ha:

So I should be OK with the new Wii then. We'll see whats up come black Friday. I might NEED something else haha. Thanks for the super fast reply.

pjmorie

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm mainly looking to play games from a USB loader...forget all that disc burning nonsense :ha:

So I should be OK with the new Wii then. We'll see whats up come black Friday. I might NEED something else haha. Thanks for the super fast reply.

One thing to be carefull about if buying a second hand Wii is that it doesn't have a PIN code for the parental lock. If the Wii is on 4.3 then you'll need to access the internet settings to get its MAC address to use Letterbomb. I baught a second hand one which had a PIN and the shop didn't know the password. They told me I'd have to contact Ninty to get the unlock code for the system. If you do a quick search on Google you can also find sites which will generate the unlock code for you, don't know if I'm allowed to mention the one I used on here.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
One thing to be carefull about if buying a second hand Wii is that it doesn't have a PIN code for the parental lock. If the Wii is on 4.3 then you'll need to access the internet settings to get its MAC address to use Letterbomb.
Does the parental lock block access to internet settings?

I baught a second hand one which had a PIN and the shop didn't know the password. They told me I'd have to contact Ninty to get the unlock code for the system. If you do a quick search on Google you can also find sites which will generate the unlock code for you, don't know if I'm allowed to mention the one I used on here.
Yeah, that's fine.

pjmorie

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing to be carefull about if buying a second hand Wii is that it doesn't have a PIN code for the parental lock. If the Wii is on 4.3 then you'll need to access the internet settings to get its MAC address to use Letterbomb.
Does the parental lock block access to internet settings?

I baught a second hand one which had a PIN and the shop didn't know the password. They told me I'd have to contact Ninty to get the unlock code for the system. If you do a quick search on Google you can also find sites which will generate the unlock code for you, don't know if I'm allowed to mention the one I used on here.
Yeah, that's fine.

I couldn't get the MAC address when the PIN lock was one. The site I used to ge the unlock code was : http://wii.marcansoft.com/parental.wsgi

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone know if its possible to load games from a network drive?

As already stated, no.

But, a WODE is capable of streaming games from a pc through the network (with an additional wlan dongle).
This is however a quite expensive solution, but to my knowledge the only way.

Flinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying this for the first time. I have version 4.3u. I ran ModMii and chose bannerbomb route as I don't have any of the original game discs. I extracted the Private folder to my SD card and then continued on along with ModMii. When I try to run bannerbomb (or letterbomb can't remember the name) it hangs immediately saying that it cannot find boot.elf or boot.dol. Do you guys have any advice for a newb?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying this for the first time. I have version 4.3u. I ran ModMii and chose bannerbomb route as I don't have any of the original game discs. I extracted the Private folder to my SD card and then continued on along with ModMii. When I try to run bannerbomb (or letterbomb can't remember the name) it hangs immediately saying that it cannot find boot.elf or boot.dol. Do you guys have any advice for a newb?
4.3 doesn't work with bannerbomb. You have to use Letterbomb.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!