• No, and I won't report what went wrong because I am a troll

Votes: 63 6.2%
  • No, and I posted what went wrong

Votes: 120 11.9%

• Total voters
C

croagunk.master

XFlak said:
It depends on what you're doing when you lose power, and what kind of protection you already have in place

Two files that can cause bricks if you lose power during installing them is your System Menu Wad and the System Menu IOS Wad (IOS70 for 4.1 and 4.2 and IOS80 for 4.3). However, if you have bootmii already installed as boot2, u can recover from this easily. So its only dangerous if u lose power during installing those files without bootmii @ boot2.

The bootmii @ boot2 and prilloader installations could also potentially brick u if u lose power during their installations... but both of these installations take less than 5 seconds so it is very unlikely u will lose power during them. And if u lose power during a priiloader installation, and u already have bootmii @ boot2, it is also very easy to recover from such a problem.

I hope that answers your question.
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my question! Also, can you tell me how to recover from a low level brick? I know this is offtopic but I'd really appreciate if you answered this.
yaywii.gif

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
It depends on how you brick.
  • if u install a bad channel, just use priiloader or bootmii to access the HBC then launch your WAD Manager (MMM or YAWMM) and uninstall the channel that caused the problem (do not uninstall IOSs, System Menu's or other files without knowing what your doing, things like wiiware and forwarder channels are safe to uninstall)
  • if u install a bad theme, again use priiloader or bootmii to launch the HBC, and then launch mymenuify and just install the original *.app theme for your system menu version. Reinstalling the system menu would also work, but it takes longer and also uninstalls priiloader
  • if u brick yourself really good (or in this case, really badly) u may not be able to easily recover without bootmii @ boot2. For example, if you uninstall your system menu IOS or install a stubbed system menu IOS, u will not be able to start your Wii without bootmii @ boot2, in which case u would use it to launch the HBC then launch a wad manager to reinstall a non-stubbed system menu IOS.
  • if you run into a low level brick but are still able to access bootmii, u can restore a nand backup from when your Wii was functioning properly (always have a nand backup!). You can think of using bootmii to restore your nand backup as performing a system restore in windows, and you can think of each nand backup u make as a unique restore point.
  • ALL bricked wii's without bootmii @ boot2 can be repaired using an infectus mod chip AS LONG AS you have a nand backup. All older Wii's capable of installing bootmii @ boot2 can be repaired using infectus without a nand backup (even if it was never softmodded and does not have bootmii @ boot2). This is generally a last resort as it is complicated and requires an infectus, which is becoming harder and harder to get these days as they become less common. If you ever run into a brick u cannot fix, you can email [email protected] and he will be able to fix your wii using an infectus.
but as long as u follow a good guide and don't guess at what to (un)install you should hopefully never need to utilize any of the methods mentioned above. And you should also realize that some bricks are unique and require u do something special... for example, if u don't have the HBC, but can still access priiloader or bootmii, u will likely have to reinstall the HBC before being able to fix the root problem.

Basically, as long as u have a a nand backup, DeadlyFoez will be able to fix your Wii no matter what u do it (except hardware failure) and if the Wii is old enough to have bootmii installed as boot2 he doesn't even need a nand backup. If u have bootmii as boot2 installed, u will likely be able to recover from all bricks without needing to send your Wii to someone like DeadlyFoez. If you have priiloader and bootmii installed as IOS, you will likely be able to recover from MOST bricks yourself, but u wont be able to recover from a uninstalled/stubbed system menu IOS or system menu.

I tried to be as thorough as possible in answering your question, but there are many unique bricks and I'm sure I didn't cover them all in this post. But basically all you need to know is that the best precautions u can take against bricks are 1) Install Bootmii as IOS and as boot2 if possible, 2) make a nand backup and keep it saved somewhere safe, 3) install priiloader (#3 doesn't add extra protection if you were able to install bootmii as boot2).... but there is no replacement for common sense, research and patience. Considering you are asking these questions before even modding your Wii, I think u will be fine
biggrin.gif

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ModMii for Windows
Version 4.3.3 Released!

by XFlak

Download ModMii for Windows v4.3.3 Here

Download the French version of ModMii for Windows v4.3.3 Here

See first post for more info and direct download links.

2drswas.jpg

4.3.3 Changelog
  • Fixed bug in SNEEK Game Bulk Extractor causing ModMii to crash when the
    target directory had a space in it.
  • Fixed bug introduced in v4.3.2 where the Download Wizard did not download
    a handful of files if the user specified their Wii is NOT a virgin.
  • Drive-letter/Folder settings now accept inputs with or without quotes.
    Previously ModMii would crash if the user inputted setting with quotes.
    It also performs a check to make sure the Drive-letter exists.
  • The ModMii Wizard will now ask users currently on 4.3 if they would like
    to download active IOSs. Most 4.3 Wii's should not need to update its IOSs
    as they should already be up to date. However, if a 4.3 Wii has DarkCorp
    installed or has problems playing original games via the Wii System Menu,
    it will now be able to update its active IOSs using the ModMii Wizard.
  • ModMii is now also available in French. The French version will receive
    its own unique French updates. French updates will probably lag slightly
    behind English updates. Thanks to xav91 and ketufe for doing the majority
    of ModMii's French translation.
  • Removed Unrar.exe from ModMii as it has not been used since v4.2.8.
On a personal note, I will be away from gbatemp this weekend as DeadlyFoez and I have finally arranged to meet face-to-face. It's going to be an awesome weekend full of partying, so if you are in New Hampshire keep your eyes peeled for us in your local bars, we're planning on wearing "Hello, my name is XFlak" and "Hello, my name is DeadlyFoez" name tags. LOL

I will respond to any unanswered ModMii questions asked over the weekend as soon as I can, but while I'm gone there are plenty of other people qualified to answer your ModMii questions so feel free to ask them even during my absence.

Cheers!

bralph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 4.2U and soft-modded with HBC and Configurable USB Loader. I wanted to update Shop and the other channels, and also install Priiloader since I never did that before. Should I just follow the Wizard, choose Virgin and follow all the instructions? Will I then have to go back through for the USB-Loader Setup, or will the Wizard take care of all of it? It looks like the wizard includes the USB stuff, but I just wanted to be sure.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@bralph,
Yes, tell it that your Wii is a virgin and follow the guide... that will update your cIOSs (used by USB Loaders and other apps), and if you choose to install extra brick protection you will also have a USB-Loader Forwarder Channel (this channel can also be downloaded via DL Page 2 if you choose not to go for the extra brick protection). But that is all the ModMii Wizard does for USB-Loaders.

To download the most recent CFG-USB Loader and the files+instructions required to set up your hard drive (which may not apply to you since u already have cfg usb loader working) you will need to run the USB-Loader setup feature. This doesn't download a lot of items (maybe 4-6), but the guide is really worth reading, especially for those who still haven't heard of WiiBackupManager.

@bromhexine,
your welcome! thx for the kind words dude!

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
damn it, i thought I had all those 'free space' bugs worked out... I am PMing you a version that will pause before showing you the 'not enough free space' screen and it will display some information on your free/required space. I need that information in order to determine whats going on and it should help me replicate the issue and hopefully come up with a solution. Worst case scenario, I can always remove the free space check entirely, then it will be up to the user to ensure they have free space.... but I'd rather fix the underlying issue.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what are you using to determine the free space on the drive? ive got a project im working on and i havent gotten any decent ideas about querying drive info on windows. the best i found is calling "fsutil fsinfo volumeinfo C:\" and the like. "fsinfo" can give you the filesystem and free space on the drive, but it requires admin privileges on vista & 7 and it will only list 1 drive at a time.

if youve got a way to query this information without needing admin rights or even to get info about all drives at once id be glad to know it.

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@ giantpune
My method of doing it is rather simple... even if its not the best method.

in command line, it's...
Code:
dir C:>freespace.txt
::-----where C: can be any drive or path-----::
then in the freespace.txt file, the last line should say something like
Code:
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ13 Dir(s)ÂÂ61,782,958,080 bytes free
then I just filter that last line so I am left with just the number of free bytes (I use sfk.exe "swiss file knife" to do that, but you probably have better methods at your disposal).
then its just a matter of converting the number to megabytes or w/e u want, I use hy.exe to do the math in cmd line because windows cmd line can't natively handle numbers that big, but again, I'm sure you have much better methods of doing the conversion.

I hope this helps u some way (it would be cool to know that I've helped the awesome giantpune!)

edit: I just figured out the problem Arras was encountering (via our PMs), I need to filter the last line differently if the windows machine isn't using English...
for example, it could look like this instead.
Code:
17 map(pen) 137.308.962.816 bytes beschikbaar
So you would also probably need to compensate for different languages.

@Arras,
thx for all your help tracking down the problem. Now that I know what's going on (see above explanation), I should be able to come up with a solution
biggrin.gif

@chop,
ModMii's USB-Loader forwarder channel has already been modified for USB2.0 (thanks to FIX94 for compiling the dol for me
biggrin.gif
). I haven't released it as part of ModMii yet, it will be included in an update soon though. I'm waiting to see if more improvements can be made to Nforwarder before making the transition
biggrin.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Code:
for /f "usebackq delims== tokens=2" %%x in (`wmic logicaldisk where "DeviceID='C:'" get FreeSpace /format:value`) do set FreeSpace=%%x
echo Free space is %FreeSpace% bytes on c:/

Should work

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually i dont care about the free space
tongue.gif
, i only care about getting the type of filesystem used for the partition. do you have any of those tricks in your bag?

ok, well i took a page from tj_cool's book and this spits out what i need
Code:
wmic logicaldisk where "DeviceID='E:'" get fileSystem

anybody know if it works without cmd.exe?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, the language would explain it. But don't use TJ's code to fix it, as WMIC.EXE needs Admin rights to run. Well, it's nice to know I helped the creator of ModMii, as it's one of the handiest and easiest things to use on here
laugh.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Arras said:
Yeah, the language would explain it. But don't use TJ's code to fix it, as WMIC.EXE needs Admin rights to run. Well, it's nice to know I helped the creator of ModMii, as it's one of the handiest and easiest things to use on here
laugh.gif
It runs fine on my PC without running CMD as administrator (though it does say in the documentation in needs Admin rights
unsure.gif
)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
"Only members of the group Administrator can use WMIC.EXE"(Translated by me) error and it won't work. But that's because I don't have admin rights. So the next line just reads "Free space is bytes on c:/"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet