Votes: 120 11.9%

• Total voters

manic_34

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gday Xflak,

Many thanks for your guidance ....... SUCCESS, I have modded my Wii.
Everything seems to be working fine.

I have one small question though. My wii is a PAL version and I have picked up a number of NTSC games cheap that I would like to play on it. Do I need to download an app for homebrew in order to be able to play them. If this is the case could you let me know what app I need to get.

Sorry to be a nuisance but I'm almost there.

Cheers
grog.gif

fireitup420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
manic_34 said:
Gday Xflak,

I have one small question though. My wii is a PAL version and I have picked up a number of NTSC games cheap that I would like to play on it. Do I need to download an app for homebrew in order to be able to play them. If this is the case could you let me know what app I need to get.

Cheers
grog.gif

I figured it out.
I bricked my 1st hdd playing a pal game in homebrew cfg usb loader,wii lost signal and wouldnt send signal on boot with hdd connected(wii is so protected from modmii extra brick protection that it was unharmed)
I thought it was a bad hard drive so i returned it(after that i started using the usb loader with extra brick protection, so when i tried to play the pal game again and lost signal again when exiting the game this time my hdd
did'nt brick.Just wanted to post this so you dont make the same mistake and uses the wrong usb loader because the extra brick protection one is sweet.So ya you need to download something.

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fireitup420 said:
manic_34 said:
Gday Xflak,

Cheers
grog.gif

I bricked my 1st hdd playing a pal game in homebrew cfg usb loader,wii lost signal and wouldnt send signal on boot with hdd connected(wii is so protected from modmii extra brick protection that it was unharmed)
I thought it was a bad hard drive so i returned it(after that i started using the usb loader with extra brick protection, so when i tried to play the pal game again and lost signal again when exiting the game this time my hdd
did'nt brick.Just wanted to post this so you dont make the same mistake and uses the wrong usb loader because the extra brick protection one is sweet.
Pardon me but I need to make some corrections to your post. Hdds get corrupted not bricked. The only thing that can be bricked is the Wii only. Your case is an isolated one as playing Pal Games on a Ntsc wii or viceversa isn't supposed to damage or corrupt your Hdd. I think your drive had some elements that made it incompatible with the wii.

iazybandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its been sooooooo long since I used my Wii. Last time I used my Wii or even updated it, I used waninkoko's Firmware Updater 4.0 which was back in early 2010? I do know that I will have to update the Homebrew Channel to the latest version as I havent updated it in a LONG time.

I've watched the video and will pretty much follow the guide. Since I'm on 4.0 (iirc), do I need to update to 4.3? I plan on playing/trying NBA Jam.

Is there anything else I should be aware of or to look out for? From the looks of it, ModMii is your one stop shop for all updated cIOS' and apps.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ModMii for Windows
Version 4.3.1 Released!

by XFlak

2drswas.jpg

4.3.1 Changelog
  • Fixed bug in HackMii Solutions feature where the Hackmii Installer's boot.elf
    was being saved to the root of the SD Card instead of MMM's boot.elf.
  • WiiXplorer is now saved to apps\WiiExplorer instead of apps\WiiXplorer
    to be more compatible with the Homebrew Browser. Downloading WiiXplorer
    now also creates an empty folder ("config\WiiXplorer") in order to
    allow WiiXplorer to save user settings.
  • Other minor Changes.

bonoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't know why but this Ios (58) is getting me for mad!!!!! now i have a lot of those STACK DUMPS, CODE DUMPS whatever they call them everytime i try to open/exit a single app (like wiimc, vba or example), does anybody knows what i'm doing wrong? please help me! curiously when i delete this ios 58 and reinstall the homebrew channel everything is fine here and there!

fireitup420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of my newer games freeze when i play them,I used modmii 4.2.9 for my wii but had to use 4.3.0 for the usb loader wizard because i had to do it again.All i got to do is choose my wii is a virgin and follow the guide again right?or can i update easier because i have a recent version?(do i reinstall channels?)

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
freezing could be because your hard drive has a sleep timer on it... otherwise I would just install the new recommended cIOSs, since IIRC that was the only thing to have changed between those versions

what hard drive u got? more info on the problem specifically would be helpful
biggrin.gif

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
bonoboy said:
don't know why but this Ios (58) is getting me for mad!!!!! now i have a lot of those STACK DUMPS, CODE DUMPS whatever they call them everytime i try to open/exit a single app (like wiimc, vba or example), does anybody knows what i'm doing wrong? please help me! curiously when i delete this ios 58 and reinstall the homebrew channel everything is fine here and there!
this sounds like the typical HBC bug that has been plaguing us all. The latest versions of all those apps started using IOS58 and ahbprot/no_ios_reload instead of cIOS202 quite recently... unfortunately, if u do not have an internet connection set up, when the HBC loads up the apps with "no_ios_reload" (in the meta.xml) it will typically fail.

A new homebrew channel is expected sometime in the future to correct this issue

in the meantime, there are 2 workarounds

1) try waiting 30-60 seconds in the HBC before launching a no_ios_reload app and it will have a much greater chance of success

2) use the older versions of the the apps that still use cIOS202v5[57]... like vba and all the emulators, WiiMC, etc.... this is what I've personally decided to do, at least until a new HBC is released

manic_34

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
manic_34 said:
Gday Xflak,

Cheers
grog.gif

Anyone ???

fireitup420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
freezing could be because your hard drive has a sleep timer on it... otherwise I would just install the new recommended cIOSs, since IIRC that was the only thing to have changed between those versions

biggrin.gif

Sleep timer is off,I have a 1 TB My Book Essential WDBAAF0010HBK-NESN.Metroid other M and Endless Ocean 2 froze on me,how do i install new cIOSs?Can you please give me a quick rundown on how to do it?Thx alot

manic_34

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi All,

I have downloaded Gecko OS and added it to my apps on the SD card with a view to being able to play NTSC games on my PAL will.

It installed ok and shows up fine in HBC but when I try to launch a game I get an error message " No DVD found "

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Many Thanks

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fireitup420 said:
XFlak said:

biggrin.gif

Sleep timer is off,I have a 1 TB My Book Essential WDBAAF0010HBK-NESN.Metroid other M and Endless Ocean 2 froze on me,how do i install new cIOSs?Can you please give me a quick rundown on how to do it?Thx alot

That's very easy with MODMII
1. Open modmii doh! I agree
2. Type 2 then press enter (It will show you a list of cios, apps and other stuff.)
3. From there type the cios you want (cios222 [38]-v5 and cios249[56]v20 are highly recommended but you can choose the want you like most.) Along with it you may need a wad manager so I recommend Yawmm (Yawmm is available in that list under the apps section). Once you finish type D to begin download.
4. Once you do that, turn your wii on, open the homebrew channel , run yawmm and install the latest cios with it.

QUOTE(manic_34 @ Oct 12 2010, 12:20 PM)
Hi All,

I have downloaded Gecko OS and added it to my apps on the SD card with a view to being able to play NTSC games on my PAL will.

It installed ok and shows up fine in HBC but when I try to launch a game I get an error message " No DVD found "

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Many Thanks
Why don't you use a usb loader instead? If your wii is kinda new it won't read DVDs

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@manic,
what are u trying to do specifically? Are u trying to play out of region backup discs? Or out of region original discs? Or are u trying to play out of region games off of a USB-Loader?

-if u r playing any kind of backup disc, newer wii's cannot read them... period. This is due to hardware restrictions on the new d3-2 dvd reader.
-You should use neogamma instead of Gecko OS. It should be able to play backup discs (if the wii is capable) and original discs. You can download neogamma via ModMii's download page 2, or via WiiPower's Neogamma thread on gbatemp.
-all wii's can play any region game via configurable usb-loader. Just put the original disc in the Wii, and rip to the hard drive, then play (or u can just launch a disc direction from the usb-loader without ripping it first). Occasionally u may need to fiddle with the video mode settings and/or country settings in order to get it working properly, but I've personally never had to do that. If u don't have a usb-loader set up already, I recommend using ModMii's usb-loader set up guide
biggrin.gif

@fireitup420,
Burton explained it perfectly. However, if u want to use the ModMii wizard (instead of download page 2), u can answer that your wii is NOT a virgin, but everytime it asks u if u want to download something, say no EXCEPT when it asks if u want to download recommended cIOSs. It will accomplish the same thing Burton suggested, but you will have a guide to follow if u feel like you still need one.

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It worked perfectly, only issues were with the stupidity level of the user (ME). It is an excellent program and I really appreciate all the hard work XFlak. BTW THANKS!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1