Votes: 120 11.9%

• Total voters

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
XFlak said:
@davebaol, I missed that, its a shame when ppl skip over the MOST important step. Anyways, before alfabeto does anything, he should at least make a nand backup. Even if his backup isn't in perfect working order, it can still be used to recover from full bricks (either using an infectus....
Yeah a nand backup is always a good idea.
However if you solder an infectus you can merely use any backup from a different wii then use comex nand formatter 2.0 which supports custom settings.txt so you don't loose your internal serial number. After that just reinstall a full 4.x firmware and you're done.
I wrote a guide about that for the italian forum I moderate.
tongue.gif

Well, obviously you loose all your savegames and personal data.

QUOTE(XFlak @ Jan 24 2011, 04:41 PM) ... or with some amazing unreleased software... expect it to be released in a couple months
biggrin.gif
)
Interesting!
Do you know something we don't?
happy.gif

B

BryceOne

Going to use ModMii to set up a Wii.. Which cios/basess should I get for the best setup? Definately need to get USB devices working for RockBand2 and Karaoke games... and anything else required for most common games.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@sevalle_xx,
I forgot about your modchip. I think there are only 2 things that could possibly be interfering with the modchip working correctly. The patched system menu IOS and the cMIOS. Launch ModMii, go to download page 1 ("1"), and download a nonpatched IOS60v6174 ("60NP") and MIOSv10 ("M10") and install them both using a wad manager. The patched system menu IOS could be interfering with the Modchip running games from the disc channel, and the cMIOS could be interfering with launching GC game from the disc channel.

@markyboy77,
use ModMii's USB-Loader set up guide. The forwarder channel that is installed as part of extra brick protection will not work if u don't have a boot.dol saved under one of the forwarder paths listed for that forwarder channel (list is in your ModMii guide). The USB-loader set up guide will save all the files u need to run a usb-loader in the right places, and instruct u on how to format your hard drive (if necessary, if u already have it working in wiiflow u wont need to do anything else to get it working in cfg usb loader).

markyboy77

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.getinthehole.info
XP
Country
XFlak said:
@markyboy77,
use ModMii's USB-Loader set up guide. The forwarder channel that is installed as part of extra brick protection will not work if u don't have a boot.dol saved under one of the forwarder paths listed for that forwarder channel (list is in your ModMii guide). The USB-loader set up guide will save all the files u need to run a usb-loader in the right places, and instruct u on how to format your hard drive (if necessary, if u already have it working in wiiflow u wont need to do anything else to get it working in cfg usb loader).

thanks for the reply m8

i dont really want to reformat my ext HD as i have 260 games on it
frown.gif
so i am guessing that rules out me using the USB Loader Set up guide in your ModMii .

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@davebaol,
using a nand backup from a different Wii is risky. There is no way to account for which blocks are bad on the target wii versus the donor dump. AFAIK, the rule of thumb is that any wii can be repaired using an infectus if it has a nand dump, and only wii's with a vulnerable boot1 can be repaired if the Wii is missing a nand dump.

And yes, I know something you guys don't
biggrin.gif
. It's not my place to say anything, all I am willing to say is that it is a secret project being worked on, it's currently in the beta testing stages, and its going to be submitted into the homebrew bounty competition (stickied in the wii hacking section). So keep your eyes peeled!

@BryceOne,
just use ModMii's wizard, it will download/install the recommended cIOSs. To get games with peripherals to work, u can use ModMii's recommended cIOS249 (v20[56]) or 223 (v4[37-38]), for call of duty black ops, use ModMii's recommended cIOS250 (v20[57]). All other games should work perfectly using cIOS249 (v20[56]). If it doesn't work for u right off the bat, your hard drive may not be compatible with the cIOS, then u can try other cIOSs (like 222 or 224), but the recommended cIOSs work for almost everyone.

@markyboy77,
You can still use ModMii's usb-loader set up guide. When it asks you how you would like your hard drive formatted, just choose the format that your hard drive is currently formatted as (ie. if your drive is currently formatting and working as FAT32, select FAT32). When ModMii's downloads the files and builds you a guide, you can just skip the formatting step (the guide even tells u that you can skip this step if your drive is already formatted as FAT32 or NTFS or w/e you chose)

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
XFlak said:
@sevalle_xx,
I forgot about your modchip. I think there are only 2 things that could possibly be interfering with the modchip working correctly. The patched system menu IOS and the cMIOS. Launch ModMii, go to download page 1 ("1"), and download a nonpatched IOS60v6174 ("60NP") and MIOSv10 ("M10") and install them both using a wad manager. The patched system menu IOS could be interfering with the Modchip running games from the disc channel, and the cMIOS could be interfering with launching GC game from the disc channel.
No, a patched system ios can't interfere with the modchip while a patched cMIOS could but only when launching GC games (as you said).
I've not read all your post sevalle_xx. But I've seen you were talking about AnyRegionChanger.
If you changed your region then you MUST also reconfigure region settings on your chip to make the disc channel work again.

XFlak said:
@davebaol,
using a nand backup from a different Wii is risky. There is no way to account for which blocks are bad on the target wii versus the donor dump. AFAIK, the rule of thumb is that any wii can be repaired using an infectus if it has a nand dump, and only wii's with a vulnerable boot1 can be repaired if the Wii is missing a nand dump.
I know but after flashing the nand the wii boots correctly almost always, even if bad blocks don't match.
So you can launch comex nand formatter as I said before and bad blocks are no longer a problem.
And yes, you're right about boot1. Here in Italy the rule of thumb is you can flash the nand from a different wii only if the serial of the target wii is lesser than LEH21... (don't know about serial out of my country).

QUOTE(XFlak @ Jan 24 2011, 07:12 PM)
And yes, I know something you guys don't
biggrin.gif
. It's not my place to say anything, all I am willing to say is that it is a secret project being worked on, it's currently in the beta testing stages, and its going to be submitted into the homebrew bounty competition (stickied in the wii hacking section). So keep your eyes peeled!
Ok, thanks.

markyboy77

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.getinthehole.info
XP
Country
XFlak said:
@markyboy77,
You can still use ModMii's usb-loader set up guide. When it asks you how you would like your hard drive formatted, just choose the format that your hard drive is currently formatted as (ie. if your drive is currently formatting and working as FAT32, select FAT32). When ModMii's downloads the files and builds you a guide, you can just skip the formatting step (the guide even tells u that you can skip this step if your drive is already formatted as FAT32 or NTFS or w/e you chose)

thanks again m8

i know and trust that you have thousands of more experence and knowledge and your advice is much appreciated

i am just a little worried and scared that i will make a mistake and lose all my games

if you were to give me any advice what would it be ? would you suggest that i just keep using WiiFlow as i am more than happy with that , i have experimented with USBLoaderGX and Configurable USB loader to but still consoder WiiFlow the best for me , or go ahead and try to get that other USB loader of yours in ModMii working

marky

XFlak

OP
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@markyboy77,
If u like wiiflow, continue using wiiflow, there's nothing wrong with it. What version of my usb-loader forwarder channel did u install? I recommend you install my latest forwarder channel (v8b) from here: http://nusad.googlecode.com/files/USBLoade...SB-v8b-IDCL.zip
and ensure your wiiflow app is saved under the following path SD or USB:\apps\wiiflow\boot.dol

Then you should be able to launch your current/existing version of wiiflow using my forwarder channel.

daiuf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Why no support for the twilight hack? I own neither Lego star wars or Yu-Gi-Oh 5d's and I wasn't under the impression they were enormously popular games.

EDIT: Noob question: Whats a forwarder?

EDIT 2: Sorry forgot to say thanks; Thank you very much!

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
daiuf said:
Why no support for the twilight hack? I own neither Lego star wars or Yu-Gi-Oh 5d's and I wasn't under the impression they were enormously popular games.
From wiibrew:
QUOTETwilight Hack 0.1beta1 is compatible with System Menu up to 3.3, 0.1beta2 is compatible with System Menu 3.4. The twilight hack is not and never will be compatible with System Menu 4.0 and up.

And of course you mean LEGO Indiana Jones not LEGO Star Wars.
wink2.gif

sevalle_xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
davebaol said:
XFlak said:
@sevalle_xx,
No, a patched system ios can't interfere with the modchip while a patched cMIOS could but only when launching GC games (as you said).
I've not read all your post sevalle_xx. But I've seen you were talking about AnyRegionChanger.
If you changed your region then you MUST also reconfigure region settings on your chip to make the disc channel work again.

No, I wanted to do a region change but I have not yet and probably won't.
So with this, should I push thru with XFlaks suggestions? It might introduce more bugs that I'm not willing to get.
I'm pretty happy now, so maybe I'll just take note of those things.

Again, thanks for the really nice help.

SUCCESSOR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I use ModMii to overwrite DARKCORP on a 4.1u Wii? If So How.

I know if your using it for a 4.3 system menu it bring up a "download active IOSs" which it says can overwrite DARKCORP but this does not come up for 4.1.

Nothing against DARKCORPS but my mom has a Retail NSMB and it doesn't work with DARKCORP. I may just backup and patch the game if that is easier.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@SUCCESSOR DARKCORPS only installs modified versions of these IOS so simply installing them over again with say a untouch (unmodified) IOS will overwrite them. If you run backups from discs you may want to patch IOS which games run off with "Trucha Bug" only if your running from the "Disc Channel" on your WiiMenu.

You can download the latest version of ModMii and choose option (1) and reDL (download) all Non-fakesigned IOS/MIOS
smile.gif

Grab you any Wad Manager; my preference would be MMM (MultiModManager) and simply batch install all of these IOS remember

If you havent already installed IOS236 please do so now, it in the same options just type "236" w/o quotations. This is a copy of IOS36 installed into slot 236 for backup and security in case of freak accidents.

I hope i covered everything if not i'll read back or some of these lovely people will be of assistance
smile.gif

SUCCESSOR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
@SUCCESSOR DARKCORPS only installs modified versions of these IOS so simply installing them over again with say a untouch (unmodified) IOS will overwrite them. If you run backups from discs you may want to patch IOS which games run off with "Trucha Bug" only if your running from the "Disc Channel" on your WiiMenu.

You can download the latest version of ModMii and choose option (1) and reDL (download) all Non-fakesigned IOS/MIOS
smile.gif

Grab you any Wad Manager; my preference would be MMM (MultiModManager) and simply batch install all of these IOS remember

If you havent already installed IOS236 please do so now, it in the same options just type "236" w/o quotations. This is a copy of IOS36 installed into slot 236 for backup and security in case of freak accidents.

I hope i covered everything if not i'll read back or some of these lovely people will be of assistance
smile.gif

Batch installing all non-fakesigned IOSs, will I need to reinstall anything for any of my other homebrew? I could use DARKCORP uninstaller but I don't want to reinstall my softmods.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you may need to install IOS36 with Tuch Bug Patch
smile.gif
that can either be done Dop-Mii > Wad Installation > it will prompt you for any patches. MMM has an option to install IOS aside from wad installations which you patch IOS36 as well. IOS36 is the only one you need and the reason for 236 is cause if you update or your family updates or for whatever reason you lose the ability use 249/250 or any hermes cIOS 236 is installed with a Maximum revision number so no offical update could delete it which will make installing everything back to normal easier.

on my console i have IOS36 patched (some homebrew still uses it) and the System Menu IOS patched (Only Patch SM IOS if you play WW VC from SD CARD).

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@sevalle_xx
What XFlak suggested is all original stuff by Nintendo.
Only drawback is after installing the original system ios you can't run trucha-signed channels from sd card, anyway modchip is unaffected.
Install original MIOSv10 because cMIOS is useless for you since your chip should support GC games already.

daiuf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What about smash stack?

Also been reading up on what all these things do I have a newbie question:

Ok so NAND is the flash storage for saves and the like, so if I want to use a usb loader I need to make part of it use that storage? What a the different storage types for USB's? What ones do I need to know about for wii hacking? Would storage would I put the actual wii games on?

Stewy12

Trophies
XP
Country
Couple opf qiuick questions, my mate bought a wii the other day that is chipped but he wants me to softmod it so he can use a usb loader, he doesn't know what chip but I was wondering if I mod it should I just ignore the chip and tell modmii that it is a virgin wii?

Also, I don't know what firmware it's on but say it's on 4.3E would I be able to use a burnt copy of Lego Indiana Jones as the wii is chipped and can read and play burnt discs?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol