Hacking Best Slot-1 card to use with EZFlash 3in1?

xhaitsu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys,

I acquired a DS Lite, and I want to use it for mostly NDS, SNES and GBA games. I had a R4i3D card, and got the EZFlash 3in1 for more memory, better SNES emulation and GBA games compatibility.

But the R4i3D soon stopped working for me, because I installed one firmware upgrade for 3DS and have no ideia about how to get it back. But anyway, the R4 is my sister's, and I need a slot-1 flashcard.

Which one is the best to use with the EZFlash 3in1?
I want to play music, SNES, GBA and NDS games. Maybe some homebrew apps and DSOpera Browser.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
It is user preference or whatever is available at what online vendor you buy from. Doesn't really matter all that much what you use, your milage with the 3in1 will be the same. You can use the same R4 clone as your sister if you like since your familiar with it.

If you really need it for heavy SNES play, a DSTwo would be a better option, if available. As for heavy music, your likely better off with an ipod or mp3 player of your choosing. The DS is not a great multi use device, really just suited for games.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I beg to differ. Best flashcart for 3-in-1 would be with Acekard with AKAIO or R4 with Wood R4, since both support flashing the 3-in-1 natively. For any other flashcard you need an extra program called GBA Exploader. From my experience AKAIO/Wood R4 are pretty much the best NDS firmwares out there. DSTWO is the best flashcart, but I find its SNES emulation horrible and if you have a 3-1in-1 you can easily buy a cheaper, better suited cart, since you most likely also never use it in a 3DS.

xhaitsu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I beg to differ. Best flashcart for 3-in-1 would be with Acekard with AKAIO or R4 with Wood R4, since both support flashing the 3-in-1 natively. For any other flashcard you need an extra program called GBA Exploader. From my experience AKAIO/Wood R4 are pretty much the best NDS firmwares out there. DSTWO is the best flashcart, but I find its SNES emulation horrible and if you have a 3-1in-1 you can easily buy a cheaper, better suited cart, since you most likely also never use it in a 3DS.

So, for SNES emulation I can do with any of those, because of the extra RAM?
I found the SNES emulation with the R4i3D pretty poor, games crashing the whole time and strange bugs.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Forget SNES on the DS. While it "works", it works very poorly, even with the DSTWO. The 3-in-1s main use is playing GBA games, I don't think there is a lot of useful software that uses the RAM extension. And to play GBA games with the 3-in-1 a card that's supported by either AKAIO or Wood is best.

tl;dr: forget SNES emulators for the DS exist.

xhaitsu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Forget SNES on the DS. While it "works", it works very poorly, even with the DSTWO. The 3-in-1s main use is playing GBA games, I don't think there is a lot of useful software that uses the RAM extension. And to play GBA games with the 3-in-1 a card that's supported by either AKAIO or Wood is best.

tl;dr: forget SNES emulators for the DS exist.

OK, so, forgetting about the SNES (at least there are a lot of SNES remakes for GBA) would you recommend me the R4 or Acekard?

Which card specifically? R4i3D? R4 gold? R4 gold plus? Which version of R4 or Acekard?

( Thanks a lot for the help! ^-^ )

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
No idea about the R4s, I have an Acekard myself. Any plain R4 that Wood R4 works on should do. If you're unsure just get an Acekard, these shouldn't be too expensive, too.

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
AKAIO and Wood are the same thing when it comes to the 3in1, as far as GBA games go. DS games, I would lean more towards a AK2i or AK2.1 with AKAIO.

I would have to agree with enarky about SNES, it is imperfect regardless of flashcart. Your better off forgetting about it existing in the first place.

Which card specifically? R4i3D? R4 gold? R4 gold plus? Which version of R4 or Acekard?
That depends on your choice of online vendor, Acekard over R4 clone if possible. Regardless of the R4 clone, you will be likely using a version of Wood provided by them from their website.

As far as "extra RAM", the SNES emulator doesn't use the 3in1 for "extra RAM" unless there is a specialized version of the emulator made to use it. There are very few homebrew that use the 3in1 as an extra memory storage. Plugging in a 3in1 doesn't make your DS run faster either, that is a myth.

xhaitsu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, it would be best if I get a DS Flashcard just for NDS games and home-brew apps, and a GBA SP with some flashcard for GBA games with 100% compability?

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs