Hardware Behold THE GLORY of the cpp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
In my honest opinion, everyone hating on the circle pad pro either has no idea what it actually is or is simply hating on the 3DS (which seems to be the latest thing to do around here).
Hi, how's Buyer's Denial holding up for you?
Buyers Denial Syndrome said:
AKA BDS. its a cause of a customer buying a product and it turns out to be a faulty product or a product that was under the expectation of the customer who recieved it.

Instead of the customer A. returning the product to the company for a better one. or B. realize that they have been duped and count their losses. They instead lie to themselves that the product was supposed to do this all along and that this is a good product knowing that it is a bad lackluster investment in a product.
-Can you believe he told me that in madden? the uniforms are not a big deal and also that player doing a moonwalk on the field is just a planned patch from EA coming soon?
-yeah he suffers from Buyers Denial Syndrome. Probably thinks that superman returns should have been game of the year too....

I have always had this view on the CPP, even BEFORE I bought a 3DS. I haven't even got a CPP.
So you're bullshitting?
Get back to me after you've actually tried one. Bye!

Its called blind fanboyism.

I don't own this product, I probably have never even tried it, but I will defend it to the death.

Please read my previous post.

Also, I'm not a fanboy - there's a lot of stuff I hate about Nintendo and their products / games. I also do most of my gaming on PC.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's not DESIGNED to be portable. It's not DESIGNED to make you look cool.
It's an accessory for a portable - it should be portable by proxy.

Did you read the rest of my post? It's just like the stand released with Kid Icarus - Nintendo didn't make it so it could be portable. Not EVERYONE plays portables while on the move / in a public place you know? In fact, I'm willing to bet over 50% play their 3DS at home more than while out of the house.
The question isn't whether or not people play their 3DS'es at home, the question is whether the CPP is a good accessory for a portable or not, and in that respect, it is badly designed as it simply doesn't fit the idea of portability that should come somewhat naturally to any user of portables. It's about the possibility/capability to play on the go with a given accessory, not about the statistic of how many users actually play on the go with their portables.

The CPP is Hueg mainly because Nintendo did not put a serial port on their device that could power it, thus it requires separate batteries, thus enhancing its bulk. It really wouldn't "kill" to add a serial port on the 3DS in the first place, knowing that such an accessory will be released. Who like who, but Nintendo knew beforehand. Moreover - it's just a simple analog slider. Sending and receiving IR signals surely eats up more battery power then just a direct connection.

Actinopterygian Melospiza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its called blind fanboyism.

I don't own this product, I probably have never even tried it, but I will defend it to the death.
I find that hilarious because I'd bet half the people here talking shit about it haven't tried it.

I'm not defending it, I'm just saying that works both ways

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh god. It's even worse than I imagined it. The extra width is bad enough, but seriously, more than twice the thickness?
This thing could have been half the size AND contain a huge battery.
Actually, that makes me think something. Maybe a 3rd party will make a smaller circle pad pro alternative with a battery, and MAYBE the circle pad will actually be any good. Let's hope.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I agree. But I don't think Nintendo have many plans for games to make use of the CPP, and so building it into the system would increase costs and size for the sake of a few games. Yet having an add-on is a good option for developers to bear in mind when designing their game, as it adds flexibility and gives the users a choice.
Eh. I have to disagree there. To me, that's like saying that there wouldn't have been tons of games for the N64 using dual analogs if it had them. If any system has a certain button or feature built in, OF COURSE the developers are going to take full advantage of that in their games. But if not, developers will either work around it, or not make the games for that system at all.

My memory is a bit hazy (after all, I WAS only 11 when the 5th generation ended), but if I recall correctly, Shooters on the N64 used workarounds for either single stick controls, or even using the C-buttons to aim. And don't even get me started on that RIDICULOUS "dual controller" scheme that the original Perfect Dark had (anyone else remember that?). Meanwhile, the original Playstation had MANY games that took advantage of and required the dualshock (which was not released until a bit after the system's release) for dual stick controls. Notice that many of those playstation games either felt very crippled on the N64, or never made it to the N64 at all.

To me, it's the same with the 3DS. The reason it there aren't many games taking advantage of the second analog is BECAUSE it's not on the system built in. Most of them aren't going to bother with a control scheme that only a small amount of people are going to be able to use, especially when they can use workarounds like the touch screen or action buttons for aiming. But if the second analog was there in the first place, TONS of games would've utilized it, and I daresay we would've had many shooters on the 3DS before Kid Icarus if that was the case.

But, this is just my perspective.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not DESIGNED to be portable. It's not DESIGNED to make you look cool.
It's an accessory for a portable - it should be portable by proxy.

Did you read the rest of my post? It's just like the stand released with Kid Icarus - Nintendo didn't make it so it could be portable. Not EVERYONE plays portables while on the move / in a public place you know? In fact, I'm willing to bet over 50% play their 3DS at home more than while out of the house.
The question isn't whether or not people play their 3DS'es at home, the question is whether the CPP is a good accessory for a portable or not, and in that respect, it is badly designed as it simply doesn't fit the idea of portability that should come somewhat naturally to any user of portables. It's about the possibility/capability to play on the go with a given accessory, not about the statistic of how many users actually play on the go with their portables.

Who says it's a bad accessory for a portable? Yes, it is a bad accessory for when you're playing the 3DS 'portably' (is that even a word?) but for when you are playing the 3DS at home it is a useful accessory.

The CPP is Hueg mainly because Nintendo did not put a serial port on their device that could power it, thus it requires separate batteries, thus enhancing its bulk. It really wouldn't "kill" to add a serial port on the 3DS in the first place, knowing that such an accessory will be released. Who like who, but Nintendo knew beforehand. Moreover - it's just a simple analog slider. Sending and recieving IR signals surely eats up more battery power then just a direct connection.
c4b160d4irclepadpro-450x450.jpg

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually, that makes me think something. Maybe a 3rd party will make a smaller circle pad pro alternative with a battery, and MAYBE the circle pad will actually be any good. Let's hope.
THAT would be awesome, indeed. But are there any legal issues that would get in the way?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
-pictures-
You don't seem to be thinking in dimensions. The CPP could be slimmer if not for the battery, due to which the rest of the device has spacers. If the 3DS would have a clip and a serial port on the side, the CPP could be a 60% smaller device attachable from the side with no "bottom and border around the 3DS" whatsoever. This would also facilitate removing cartridges.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I agree. But I don't think Nintendo have many plans for games to make use of the CPP, and so building it into the system would increase costs and size for the sake of a few games. Yet having an add-on is a good option for developers to bear in mind when designing their game, as it adds flexibility and gives the users a choice.
Eh. I have to disagree there. To me, that's like saying that there wouldn't have been tons of games for the N64 using dual analogs if it had them. If any system has a certain button or feature built in, OF COURSE the developers are going to take full advantage of that in their games. But if not, developers will either work around it, or not make the games for that system at all.

My memory is a bit hazy (after all, I WAS only 11 when the 5th generation ended), but if I recall correctly, Shooters on the N64 used workarounds for either single stick controls, or even using the C-buttons to aim. And don't even get me started on that RIDICULOUS "dual controller" scheme that the original Perfect Dark had (anyone else remember that?). Meanwhile, the original Playstation had MANY games that took advantage of and required the dualshock (which was not released until a bit after the system's release) for dual stick controls. Notice that many of those playstation games either felt very crippled on the N64, or never made it to the N64 at all.

To me, it's the same with the 3DS. The reason it there aren't many games taking advantage of the second analog is BECAUSE it's not on the system built in. Most of them aren't going to bother with a control scheme that only a small amount of people are going to be able to use, especially when they can use workarounds like the touch screen or action buttons for aiming. But if the second analog was there in the first place, TONS of games would've utilized it, and I daresay we would've had many shooters on the 3DS before Kid Icarus if that was the case.

But, this is just my perspective.

Yes, good point you made there. And it's probably true.
I just think the Nintendo didn't want to implement it, especially if you think about how much it would take away from using the touch screen. I mean, there's no way they could have sat down, designing the 3DS and NOT had a discussion about whether or not to implement a second analogue stick. Although that's probably a bit selfish of them (as other developers could have had a lot more fun) I get the feeling that they decided it would be best to not add a second one. For, as I said before, it would take away from the touch screen and also turn the 3DS into more of a 'gamers' handheld, potentially losing a lot of younger / casual customers.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you're right. But I still don't see how that would be a problem. I've played quite a few games that use the touchscreen as a supplement to things besides aiming (touch buttons and menus in Zelda 3D, special combos in Street Fighter 3D), and they don't suffer from lack of touchscreen-love.

And about the casual gamers, that's my problem... I don't recall Nintendo handhelds ever NOT being "gamers' handhelds"... In fact, they were THE only seriously successful handheld after the game gear, right until the PSP came out. So, if that really IS a reason, then what gives, Nintendo?

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The point is not about making it smaller. As I have said before on countless occasions; the CPP is designed to be ergonomic and big enough to stop people complaining about the 3DS being too small.

9S7Bi.jpg

And this was made to make the Genesis CD-Compatible and to enter the 32-Bit era early - it doesn't in any way negate the fact that it's huge and nasty though. Keep in mind that this can somewhat fly with a home console, but not with a portable, and that's that. Still, you are free to have your own opinion, I'm just presenting mine so no hard feelings.

Reactions: 2 people

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe you're right. But I still don't see how that would be a problem. I've played quite a few games that use the touchscreen as a supplement to things besides aiming (touch buttons and menus in Zelda 3D, special combos in Street Fighter 3D), and they don't suffer from lack of touchscreen-love.

And about the casual gamers, that's my problem... I don't recall Nintendo handhelds ever NOT being "gamers' handhelds"... In fact, they were THE only seriously successful handheld after the game gear, right until the PSP came out. So, if that really IS a reason, then what gives, Nintendo?

Nintendogs happened :P
Little girls see interactive dogs --------------> console suddenly ends up with a load of casual games. Then Nintendo found that the little girls market ( :tpi:) makes big money.

Only now have they realised that their true gamers are starting to walk away and have started to turn back towards the 'real' gaming market.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
The point is not about making it smaller. As I have said before on countless occasions; the CPP is designed to be ergonomic and big enough to stop people complaining about the 3DS being too small.

9S7Bi.jpg

And this was made to make the Genesis CD-Compatible and to enter the 32-Bit era early - it doesn't in any way negate the fact that it's huge and nasty though. Keep in mind that this can somewhat fly with a home console, but not with a portable, and that's that. Still, you are free to have your own opinion, I'm just presenting mine so no hard feelings.

Please shut up Foxi. JUST SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

The 32X was never DESIGNED to be small, it was DESIGNED to be ergonomic and comfortable to hold. I have never owned or used a 32X or even a Genesis, but as soon as I heard about it I knew that it was FUCKING FANTASTIC.

Honestly anyone bashing the 32X is just a SEGA hater, which is sadly the trend of GBAtemp these days. :(

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

--snip--

The 32X was never DESIGNED to be small, it was DESIGNED to be ergonomic and comfortable to hold. I have never owned or used a 32X or even a Genesis, but as soon as I heard about it I knew that it was FUCKING FANTASTIC.

Honestly anyone bashing the 32X is just a SEGA hater, which is sadly the trend of GBAtemp these days. :(

I think you're using it wrong.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Wow, way to overreact. I'm not "bashing" the 32X as a device, I'm saying that it's huge, it looks nasty and would probably be better off as a separate console entirely. I prefere the Neptune concept sketches and shells over this mushroom, sorry mate.

o8gIR.jpg

That is... sexy incarnate.

Reactions: 2 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry but is it fucking fastism month or something? WIZ HAD A FUCKING OPINION.He likes the CPP, you don't. Get the fuck over it. Its not like its REQUIRED for any of these games! Just like that stand. I always have trouble recording while holding my 3DS with another cammera. That stand might actually HELP. I draw on mine also but the flat always makes it hard to sketch it out right. THE FUCKING STAND HELPS. I'm left-handed and I want to use a slider to move in KI. THE FUCKING CPP HELPS. Not everything is about you what? 5 people? Other people have other needs, in fact this WHOLE topic was flamebait to begin with!

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over