Homebrew Be careful before/after you register for the Nintendo Developer Portal!

Sticky?

• Yes

Votes: 165 80.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 19.1%

• Total voters

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I really doubt the NDA stops applying once your account is deleted. Don't release homebrew made using the official SDK, period.
Wait.. I'm confused... In the thread it says that you can't release or contribute to homebrew period but now you are saying I just don't have to use the SDK that Ninty provides and I will be all right?

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait.. I'm confused... In the thread it says that you can't release or contribute to homebrew period but now you are saying I just don't have to use the SDK that Ninty provides and I will be all right?
You may have to be able to prove you didn't use it or any info from it. Show the docs you used, the libraries or other projects you used/looked at when developing, etc. Otherwise Nintendo can claim you broke the NDA.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whether contributing to homebrew in general is OK probably depends on how the NDA itself is worded and whether you use any info or tools from the SDK, but if people who have read it say it's not OK, it's probably not OK. Still though, the NDA probably doesn't stop applying after your account is gone, so if that's really true you boned yourself out of all future homebrew development.

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Whether contributing to homebrew in general is OK probably depends on how the NDA itself is worded and whether you use any info or tools from the SDK, but if people who have read it say it's not OK, it's probably not OK. Still though, the NDA probably doesn't stop applying after your account is gone, so if that's really true you boned yourself out of all future homebrew development.
I do think that the NDA does not apply after you're account gets de-activated and even if it still applies then you can just say that Ninty didn't say that in the NDA

delete12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did no one ever actually realize you require Visual Studio 2015 Professional or above, Visual Studio 2013 Professional or above, and/or Visual Studio 2012 Professional or above, in order to actually use CTR_SDK?

The SDK is not compatible with Community editions of all Visual Studio versions, and requires a minimum of Visual Studio 2012 or above, so Visual Studio 2010 and below is out of the question.

These Visual Studio Professional and above editions cost at least $599 from Microsoft alone for Standalone license. I do not think newcomers can easily obtain these at all.

Kirtai

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You'd need to be able to prove that you didn't use anything, not even information, from the SDK, to the satisfaction of a pack of hungry, expensive nintendo lawyers who've scented blood.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I do think that the NDA does not apply after you're account gets de-activated and even if it still applies then you can just say that Ninty didn't say that in the NDA
Parts of it do apply after termination (Namely you have to destroy any copies of the tools/docs, and you can't use any confidential information gained from them). You can also email them to cancel the NDA (Isn't this entire thread about reading the NDA? Perhaps you should do that, as it's mentioned in Section 11).
To access the NDA:
  1. Sign in to your Developer account at https://developer.nintendo.com
  2. Click "Admin" in the top bar
  3. Scroll down to Agreements and click "Visit Link" on the right
  4. Click "View" on "Non-Disclosure Agreement"
Based on the wording, as long as you're not working on libctru itself, or some other base-level library, you're actually probably fine. Most all work done in the 3DS homebrew-wise (That's not Arm9 based) uses a library that someone else has reverse engineered/written, and the wording in this thing in general is pretty forgiving.

These Visual Studio Professional and above editions cost at least $599 from Microsoft alone for Standalone license. I do not think newcomers can easily obtain these at all.
You don't need Visual Studio, it just makes things a lot easier. There's an entire section in the CTR_SDK README about using omake.

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Parts of it do apply after termination (Namely you have to destroy any copies of the tools/docs, and you can't use any confidential information gained from them). You can also email them to cancel the NDA (Isn't this entire thread about reading the NDA? Perhaps you should do that, as it's mentioned in Section 11).
To access the NDA:
Based on the wording, as long as you're not working on libctru itself, or some other base-level library, you're actually probably fine. Most all work done in the 3DS homebrew-wise (That's not Arm9 based) uses a library that someone else has reverse engineered/written, and the wording in this thing in general is pretty forgiving.

You don't need Visual Studio, it just makes things a lot easier. There's an entire section in the CTR_SDK README about using omake.
ahh k won't even be worried then.... I'm not gonna do any libctru deving anyway

Reactions: Deleted User

Kingy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To access the NDA:

Is it a great idea to cancel the NDA? Just curious.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it a great idea to cancel the NDA? Just curious.
You've already signed it, and gained access to Nintendo's confidential information. Even if you cancel it, you're still bound by the "Don't use our shit" sections.

However, so long as you're only doing homebrew development, and not library development/reverse engineering, you should be fine. Though I'm not a lawyer :) I'd recommend reading it, understanding it, and just doing what you think is best for you.

Kingy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You've already signed it, and gained access to Nintendo's confidential information. Even if you cancel it, you're still bound by the "Don't use our shit" sections.

However, so long as you're only doing homebrew development, and not library development/reverse engineering, you should be fine. Though I'm not a lawyer :) I'd recommend reading it, understanding it, and just doing what you think is best for you.
Yeah, I did read it. It was kinda hard to understand.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a better idea to not register for the Nintendo Developer Portal to begin with...
For most users on here, yes. Too many people with no understanding of what they were doing just jumped on the bandwagon.
Honestly though, I don't think Nintendo is going to use this to go after homebrew devs like a lot of people are saying, there's some wording in there that would make that... difficult.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/PMCaXL2sGpc?si=jAKEK_yJL318jk17 lol