Kid Icarus Uprising false JSON file parsing

Master Knight DH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I've been wanting to extract data from Kid Icarus Uprising for documentation and discussion, especially with Kid Icarus Uprising's still shaky balancing that a remaster could stand to improve upon. I am able to dig up any relevant values, but it's a completely inefficient process. Here's a sample pic of what I am talking about:
Screenshot 2024-01-02 14.25.30.png

This displays an example where I have the keyboard highlight on the 4 bytes for Float value 127.72, which is the base damage of Skyscraper Club's Forward Shot. It is marked with a 03 right before to indicate that it would be using a Float value. I will state that the 02 marker would be marking an Integer value, I assume int32, as would be indicated by "thrustLevel" being $00000014, or 20, and then the 01 marker would be a String value starting with the length in 4 bytes and then the string text. Of course, I can tell that this is the sort of thing that should get to be handled more efficiently.

I talked to a user on the Super Mario RPG speedrun Discord, Echocolat about this, but I don't know how things would go with this. At the very least, she did tell me that this is false JSON and that there would need to be parsing to make this readable on Notepad++ rather than Hex Workshop. But since she is likely handling Super Mario RPG for the Switch (solid remaster, by the way), I may as well ask around at this point, and see if I can get something going.

Is anybody able to help with this, perhaps with creation of a program that can parse this stuff? If so, please let me know. I wouldn't have a hard time sending a sample file or two if prompted, just that I'm not attaching anything directly in case it's clashing with the rules.

Solution
Git gud, sir. :ha:
I stopped reading right there. If you're going to tell me to "git gud" over a subject that confuses me, then I'll just take my query elsewhere. You're throwing hostility toward me over a subject that should have been covered years ago, and I can guess it's the same brand of hostility that bothers Hextator for one, after what he went through with the Fire Emblem community, the same community that promoted Mangs and everything that implies.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you quite sure no one's doing this already? If it's actually that easy, I would be surprised if no one's touched it. How did you get the file you're looking at? Did you extract it from the game somehow, or generate it some other way?

In any case, why not create a program yourself..? Are you not familiar with coding? I suggest Python if you're just starting out.

Master Knight DH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you quite sure no one's doing this already? If it's actually that easy, I would be surprised if no one's touched it. How did you get the file you're looking at? Did you extract it from the game somehow, or generate it some other way?

In any case, why not create a program yourself..? Are you not familiar with coding? I suggest Python if you're just starting out.
The files are pretty much directly from the game. And yeah, I would think that somebody would have done something already, but that hasn't happened. The closest is somebody making true JSON files for Eyetrack Orbitars' data, but they haven't shared how they did that.

As for creating a program myself, if I could, I would. And per your suggestion, I DLed Python, but it looks like Command Line involvement, which just bugs me in general.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I DLed Python, but it looks like Command Line involvement, which just bugs me in general.
Git gud, sir. :ha: There's no shortage of excellent Python tutorials out there. Many of them make use of IDLE, which is included with Python and isn't really the command line.

(I imagine you could even ask ChatGPT to get you started, but that might be a little too fanciful.)

Master Knight DH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Git gud, sir. :ha:
I stopped reading right there. If you're going to tell me to "git gud" over a subject that confuses me, then I'll just take my query elsewhere. You're throwing hostility toward me over a subject that should have been covered years ago, and I can guess it's the same brand of hostility that bothers Hextator for one, after what he went through with the Fire Emblem community, the same community that promoted Mangs and everything that implies.

Solution

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The solution rather is if you're wanting someone to make this. Are you willing to pay someone good money to make it happen. Your request is like many others that have some whacked idea. have no clue how to make. and basically saying. someone make this for me with no innocentive to make it.

It dont work. and it dont go over that well.

Reactions: ack

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright