Hacking Battery Problem After

NightsEkim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine forces shutdown at around 43% charge. So I loose almost half of battery and loose any game progress if not aware. Don't even think about flashing nand in this state.

I will receive my ifixit kit today and will report back if unpluging the battery + discharge capacitor by pressing power at least 20sec fix the issue

Gotcha, gonna test mine now, mines been on the dock for a few days since I've been in Linux so its at "100%" gonna see if it dies at 30%.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
I experienced the same battery discharge problem and fixed it using the steps mentioned by @Shadow LAG. Thanks. They should *really* be added to the first post.

For the record, I used a SATA power cable to short pins 1 & 10. I used the Arch Linux image provided by @kombos in their NAND dump tutorial, along with an SanDisk 8 GB micro SD card. I decided to send the gzip'd NAND dump via SSH to my Ubuntu host, and my Switch died on me at 23% (I totally forgot to connect it to the AC charger due to my over-excitement). That's when the console began to display the same symptoms as the rest: unable to boot unless the battery has been charged for a while and sudden shutdowns whenever the battery percentage reached 40% - 50%.

Nonetheless, I was still able to boot Arch Linux once again and send the gzip'd NAND dump without problems.

I'd be more than willing to help find a software fix. I don't really mind opening the console a few more times if that helps (there's no such thing as warranty here in Venezuela).

Last edited by DarkMatterCore,

NightsEkim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah mine died at about 42% :\. Looks like I'm popping this sucker open to reseat the battery.

Alright so I completed the process of taking the switch apart and then reseating the battery after waiting 30 seconds (Holding power the whole time). I wanted to bring some suggestions/traps I fell in to here:

1. SDCard reader: DO NOT have an SDCard in the reader when you are reseating it, to put the console back together, if you accidentally hit the wrong pins you will brick your SDCard (not the console). My pro tip here is to remove the foam on the back of the plug for the SDCard reader to re seat it. Then re apply said foam.
2. Small Screws: The top 2 and bottom 2 screws (I don't think I needed to remove them so shame on me) are really small and really easy to lose, I dropped one, so screw count minus one (I'll be buying spare screws from ebay tomorrow because why not).
3. Be careful: Make sure your console is off etc before doing this, check frequently that the screen is still off as you disassemble as you may accidentally hit the power button which may (even though your batter is "dead") power on the console.

Stay safe kiddos and RIP SDCard and screw.

Oh:
4. Joycon rails: You only have to remove the center screw in the rail (Each Side) to pop the back cover. Don't remove them all (Less screws you might lose).

Last edited by NightsEkim,

ut0pia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah mine died at about 42% :\. Looks like I'm popping this sucker open to reseat the battery.

Alright so I completed the process of taking the switch apart and then reseating the battery after waiting 30 seconds (Holding power the whole time). I wanted to bring some suggestions/traps I fell in to here:

1. SDCard reader: DO NOT have an SDCard in the reader when you are reseating it, to put the console back together, if you accidentally hit the wrong pins you will brick your SDCard (not the console). My pro tip here is to remove the foam on the back of the plug for the SDCard reader to re seat it. Then re apply said foam.
2. Small Screws: The top 2 and bottom 2 screws (I don't think I needed to remove them so shame on me) are really small and really easy to lose, I dropped one, so screw count minus one (I'll be buying spare screws from ebay tomorrow because why not).
3. Be careful: Make sure your console is off etc before doing this, check frequently that the screen is still off as you disassemble as you may accidentally hit the power button which may (even though your batter is "dead") power on the console.

Stay safe kiddos and RIP SDCard and screw.

Oh:
4. Joycon rails: You only have to remove the center screw in the rail (Each Side) to pop the back cover. Don't remove them all (Less screws you might lose).

Thanks a lot for all your tips.

I can confirm now, clearing capacitors by removing the battery and pressing power button fixed my battery problem. I was able to play from almost full charge to 0% without my switch powering off.

None of the previous soft solution worked.

Side effect : it also restore the super nag update reminder...

Reactions: Shadow LAG

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just reseated my battery connector. Deliberately did not press the power button until after it was put back together for science. It was unplugged for about the duration of time it takes to clean up the old thermal paste and apply new stuff (maybe a minute or so?) Jury's still out, but so far BOTW is still running at 25%, when the lowest I was able to get before was ~40%.

Also for reference, the triwing and philips screws appear to be 2.0mm. Also, the one screw on top and the two by the USB-C connector don't appear to be magnetic (or are much less strongly magnetic compared to the other screws), so be careful not to lose those.

Last edited by TerraPhantm,

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch finally got down to 0% and gave the low battery warning before doing a proper shutdown. I think I can call this fixed.

So as mentioned above, I deliberately didn't press the power button until it was put back together. So I think it's safe to say that pressing the power button isn't necessary. Won't hurt anything, but if you forget to press it, it's not like you have to open the thing up and do it all over. Generally it's good practice with anything electronic to disconnect power for at least 30 seconds, so that's what I'd recommend.

Just out of curiosity which thermal compound have you used? And did you noticed the fans spinning slower?
I only changed the thermal compound between the rf shield and the heatpipe. I didn't want to remove the heatsink itself. I used Noctua NT-H1 (no particular reason for that over the other high-end compounds -- just what I had laying around). I didn't notice much of a fan difference, but I wasn't looking for said difference either.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh forget it then, I thought you would have changed the SOC thermal compound too, but I wonder why didn't you just do it since you already had almost all the work done... the backplate won't do that much difference as the one on the SOC.

And about the battery yeah I already knew it would reset in just seconds without pressing power button since I saw in a video on youtube and its almost instantly actually, that's why I said I never seen that pressing power is a requirement even though I also do it on my PC to shave a few seconds of waiting as their capacitors take a few more time to discharge. Even pressing power button on mine takes a a few seconds as it has some kind of UPS like feature on my motherboard (but off course its not really an ups or anything like it...).

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh forget it then, I thought you would have changed the SOC thermal compound too, but I wonder why didn't you just do it since you already had almost all the work done... the backplate won't do that much difference as the one on the SOC.

And about the battery yeah I already knew it would reset in just seconds without pressing power button since I saw in a video on youtube and its almost instantly actually, that's why I said I never seen that pressing power is a requirement even though I also do it on my PC to shave a few seconds of waiting as their capacitors take a few more time to discharge. Even pressing power button on mine takes a a few seconds as it has some kind of UPS like feature on my motherboard (but off course its not really an ups or anything like it...).
The other thermal compound over the SOC looked to be a silver-bearing compound already, so I expected any improvement to be minimal. Only replaced the rf shield compound because I had to. It's not like I'm overclocking this thing - I trust the factory heatsink and compound to adequately cool it.

And there were others in this thread insisting that the power press is necessary to discharge the capacitors.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Letting switch die on Linux overnight, charge to full outside of RCM, and keep screen on / sleep off in Horizon OS. Goes down to zero no issues.
I used the linux image from this thread: [Tutorial] How to dump Switch NAND using Linux | GBAtemp.net - The Independent Video Game Community and I suspect a lot of others did too. Maybe something is up there if you haven't tried that one?

Also have you tried any loads? My Switch would cut power much earlier while playing something like BOTW rather than letting it idle in the home menu.

crow132

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
I used the linux image from this thread: [Tutorial] How to dump Switch NAND using Linux | GBAtemp.net - The Independent Video Game Community and I suspect a lot of others did too. Maybe something is up there if you haven't tried that one?

Also have you tried any loads? My Switch would cut power much earlier while playing something like BOTW rather than letting it idle in the home menu.
i literally tried that linux image yesterday for 5 minutes and now this problem is happening to me too, i did not even disconnect the usb while using it, but still...
dont use that build, it is fucked up.

Last edited by crow132,

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone measuring the actual battery life or just assuming there's a problem because it shuts off at some seemingly high percentage?

It was shutting off early. And it would also do so without warning instead of detecting the battery is critically low and saving the current state.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...