Bandai Namco Confirmed Developers of Metroid Prime 4

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by T-hug, Feb 7, 2018.

1. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Namco is really good at making shooters, but I feel like they may not be able to create a Metroid Prime game that plays and feels like a Metroid Prime game.
    No one wants another repeat of Metroid Other M.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Feb 9, 2018
    KiiWii likes this.
  3. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    Anyways I'm just gonna repeat myself again that it was entirely Sakamoto's idea(co creator of metroid/director of super metroid) to create Metroid Other M into what it is today, and it was not the fault of the outside developer Team Ninja for Metroid Other M for it turning out like that because they merely helped code the game so in the same topic we can't really say that Bamco will be in charge of the story and gameplay because like Team Ninja they might just be providing extra coders

Last edited by Eddypikachu, Feb 9, 2018
  4. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    Those games you mentioned have been developed by From Software. Bamco is merely the Publisher of some of their games. Bloodborne isn't even related to Bamco at all. I'm playing it right now and the first thing I noticed was that the Bandai Namco logo was missing when starting up the game. I still wouldn't distrust Bamco based on just that... Just nitpicking here.

5. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Well then, as probably the biggest Metroid fan, my reaction to the updated news.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I prefer a action platformer metroid again. :(

7. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Florida
    Oh Lord, I hope they don't ruin the game, like Team Ninja did.. xDDD

The story in Other M was bad, that was the co creator idea.. but the gameplay being a clone from Ninja Gaiden.. that was Team Ninja, :gun:Team Ninja...

Doors wont open with shots, no energy from enemies or missiles, super linear.... classic sounds missing, oh lord that game was a mess xDDD

Last edited by huma_dawii, Feb 9, 2018
  8. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    Considering Bamco's track record with Nintendo titles, I'm sure they'll do just fine.

DarthDub and Xabring like this.
  9. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    they did sm4sh 4 wii u/3ds, at least they guarantee that the next metroid prime will feel arcadey. Not sure about FPS or adventure though...

10. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Well personally I think Metroid Prime has a very dated gameplay and plays nothing like a real FPS, it feels more like a first person platformer than anything, so I'd really love to have a more convential FPS feel and platforming as well, but I think if this game has to sell copies it must change the overall gameplay feel and pace, if you see things in that light, I don't think giving the franchise to a new studio is such a bad idea, also maybe Retro doesn't feel like working on this again?

Last edited by Idaho, Feb 9, 2018
  11. Eddypikachu

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    I think that Metroid prime not feeling like a traditional FPS is what made it special, to me at least. The first metroid prime felt exactly like an original 2D metroid game would be but just converted into a 3d space, the exploration, the atmosphere and the platforming were all kept in tact in metroid prime and I really loved that about it

woofmute likes this.
  12. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    I really can't fathom this game becoming another Other M. The Prime formula isn't broken, so I don't know why Namco would go in and drastically change things up (though if they could get rid of the scanning part of the gameplay entirely, I wouldn't be opposed to that). I think people need to take a deep breath and have a little faith that Namco isn't going to fuck this up, I really can't see them doing so. I suppose its possible, but I really doubt they will.

Last edited by MikaDubbz, Feb 9, 2018
  13. Idaho

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    I mean the real problem with Metroid Prime is that it was meant to be played with only one stick, I hope they'll take into consideration that the swtich has two sticks and let us move the camera independently from movements, I just want this...

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Huh? The GameCube had two sticks.

KiiWii likes this.
  15. Eddypikachu

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    the c stick was used to change the type of ammo you had not for camera movement

Idaho likes this.
  16. MikaDubbz

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    Oh I'm sure they will and you'll optionally also be able to use the gyro in your controller to help aim. That seems like a given for any Nintendo IP that involves aiming on the Switch at this point (just like we saw in BOTW and Splatoon 1&2).

Xabring likes this.
  17. Idaho

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Yes but the yellow stick wasn't used to move the camera, also it was on weird place on the gamepad to be used for that purpose anyway, but they've got no excuses to do that on the switch, it could perfectly work with two sticks...

Last edited by Idaho, Feb 9, 2018
  18. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    so technically we have 3 sticks, the left one, the right one, and the entire controller.
    it would be amusing if MP4 used the right stick for changing ammo types yet again.

19. Idaho

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    If the game does that I'd just not buy it, that'd be massively retarded...

20. MikaDubbz

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    They wouldn't. While Nintendo will happily continue to optionally let us use gyro to help aim or aim instead of using the right stick. But it will always be optional, because they want to also cater to the core crowd that has been entirely against motion since its inception. I think they've learned how alienating it can be to force motion controls for games that easily can be played without motion controls entirely if they just programmed for it.

Xabring and Idaho like this.