Bandai Namco Confirmed Developers of Metroid Prime 4

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by T-hug, Feb 7, 2018.

1. iQue

iQue GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2013
    They should have got SEGA to develop the game.
    Namco :shit: and Nintendo, what's next ....EA :shit: and Nintendo!!!

2. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Also who here said that Namco has a good experience with shooters? Like did they ever created any relevant FPS game? Am I missing something, because I'm a huge FPS genre fan and I have never played any FPS made by namco...

3. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    Well Time Crisis (though they're on rails, they're still first person shooters)

4. Idaho

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Haha yeah well that's not very re-ensuring but yeah Time-Crisis is kinda enjoyable, just not what I really imagine being a good FPS game...

5. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Germany
    Yeah, but only if you want the game to stay Japan exclusive.

6. MikaDubbz

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    Again, the Prime formula isn't broke, I really doubt Namco is going to try and reinvent the wheel here. I say let some footage actually show up before choosing to be concerned or not.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I must admit I've never played the originals on GC, so I didn't know about that.
    That seems like a really weird feature to omit. How did aiming work then?
    Also, what's weird about the location of the second stick? It's in the normal place that almost every controller puts it in, including the Switch.

8. Idaho

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Well the Halo formula wasn't broke but 343i still broke it with H5, let's see how it turns out, only thing I want is a good use of the two sticks, one for movement, the other for the camera, GoldenEye styled FPS games that only work with one stick are long dead and it's not a good idea to resurrect them...

Well it's a bit lower than usual, also the stick is smaller, so I think it'd hurt fingers to use it for that purpose, but I'm just speculating here... There was button for auto-aim and another button to aim manually by moving the camera but you weren't allowed to move the character while doing this, so yeah pretty slowish, it worked kinda like GoldenEye and Perfect Dark...

Last edited by Idaho, Feb 9, 2018
  9. MikaDubbz

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    I guess, but 343 was an unproven studio. Namco has years and years behind them with plenty of great games under their belt spanning many different genres and a strong relationship with Nintendo. I'm just not seeing any good reason to be concerned here at this time. And again, I really doubt we wont be able to control the camera with the right stick this time.

Last edited by MikaDubbz, Feb 9, 2018
  10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Not exactly FPS games, but rail shooters are pretty much what they are known for. And not just Time Crisis, they made some other, more unique rail shooters as well. I'm sure they made some FPS games at some point though.
    I know it's not the same thing, but a lot of the same core mechanics apply. So I do think that would help them create a good FPS game.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Feb 9, 2018
  11. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    welp, I forgot that. At last I can expect the classic 2 sticks combo in MP then. But I prefer the motion, such aim, munch accuracy

12. Spectral Blizzard

Spectral Blizzard Something happened. Now what was it?

Jun 17, 2017
    United States
    Everywhere
    One hell of a shitstorm's gonna come.

13. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    the gameplay was solid, everything from gameplay and mechanics was spot on for a thrid person metroid, people didnt liked metroid otherm becuase of the story and that wasnt there fault at all.

i dont see how a third person metroid could have better gameplay imo, people are comparing it to prime that is an fps vs a 3rd person shooter, two diferent beats.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

so what while you didnt like them alot of people did, i dont like splatoon but im not gonna say its a bad game...

Last edited by pedro702, Feb 9, 2018
  14. NatsumiX

NatsumiX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2017
    United States
    It's going to be fine.
    The 3DS game turned out well too even though people thought it's going to suck because of the team.

15. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    What's your problem with Bamco?...

Eddypikachu and Jonna like this.
  16. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    NOOOOOO

Actually I can understand why people didn't like the scanning part of the game. Best of both worlds would be to make it optional - as in completely optional. The lore of Metroid contained within those scannings are amazing, but can interrupt gameplay awkwardly. Getting 100% is optional, but activating elevators and other objects, and forcing you to use it for other things could be annoying, I'll admit. If they have it in the game, without forcing you to use it, we could be a happy group of gamers.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  17. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2006
    London
    Personally, no problem at all. My problem lies with Nintendo these days, 99% of their decisions make no sense whatsoever. They keep their in-house studio busy developing Arms, 1-2-Switch and Splatoon, yet give Metroid to a 3rd party?

What's next? Mario by Sega? The next Final Fantasy by Konami?

Some games are supposed to be... 1st party developed for obvious (i think) reasons. This isn't to say that there have not been successful 3rd developed games for 1st party IPs, but why take a chance? Do the opposite, keep 4 in-house and leave the 1-3 remastered, which is of course coming on the Switch at some point to Bamco or someone else?

18. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Metroid Prime is the only IP that already has a history of being assigned to a different studio. If they were gonna give other Nintendo IPs to third-parties, they would've started doing so on the GCN. Seems extremely unlikely to happen at this point.

19. supergamer368

supergamer368 i play too much n64

May 22, 2016
    United States
    somewhere
    again, who cares 2d metroid when

20. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2006
    London
    Sure, but Retro was completely different as a studio though. And today Nintendo is not like it has a shortage of cash or something to attract talent or whatnot..